Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 04:18 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times

Advertisements

Bring back schools for "wayward" young women.
Or, better yet bring back convent (preferably cloistered) schools for girls/young women.
Either way pack em up, ship them out to Syosset and not let them back out until they graduate high school.

Many years ago I attended one of those convent schools in Sag Harbor. There is a whole different atmosphere w/o boys in the school.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 06:35 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Yes, given the low number of parent/kids looking for the all girls Catholic school experience in the area nowadays, OLMA has seen a decline in applicants. So they were not particularly selective in terms of acceptances. And a precipitous decline in applicants (resulting in a precipitous decline in enrollment) is why it is closing.

Never was a big place for those looking to go secular Ivy. Nor would I expect it to be. As I recall, and this is 70’s -80’s, top kids tended towards the top Catholic colleges. With exceptions (of course).
Point taken. Suppose ending up at NYU is better than say Fashion Institute of Technology.

Old 04-16-2024, 10:19 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
Some of the higher end schools got waivers from the state for exams. The state acknowledged that their comprehensive exams were more difficult than the State's version, so it would meet all academic criteria.

Private school teachers in turn loved this, since they could craft their own exams around the material and how it's taught as opposed to trying to warp a lesson around the "state" answer to a question.
It's not a waiver. It's accreditation. Schools that are accredited by ____ I forgot which one are exempt from giving state regents exams. Perhaps it's Atlantic Middle and High Schools Association? I can't remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island