Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 11:07 AM

15 posts, read 2,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Yep, there aren't that many teaching nuns left and they have to hire lay teachers.....y'know, the ones who want vacation pay, benefits, workers' comp, a livable wage and other unholy demands...... That costs.
I am not cathlic so I dont know about it but probably many of the women dont want to be nuns anymore because they cant get married and do have to live in convent. Many women can still be holy like evangelical but also have familys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 12:25 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs wendy View Post
The familys dont want to send the girls because many cant afford it and it is too expensive and its why they should get voutures. Probably many of them dont do also because there are not many christians there and values. There are more christens in hempsted maybe?
Not meaning to cause offense, but you're obviously not Catholic.

It isn't the 1940's, 1950's, 1960's or even 1970's any longer, world has changed and that includes for Catholics in USA.

Vatican II shook up the church in ways that are still being felt today.

There was a time when Catholics *had* to send their kids to religious institutions, use Catholic hospitals, etc.... That began to fall by wayside starting around post WWII years and picked up steam by 1970's.

First and foremost many Catholics packed up and moved to suburbs post WWII. Those areas offered good to excellent public primary and secondary education. This was something people were paying taxes already to support. So choice to send kids to private religious school became less unless parents wanted to do so for various reasons.

On other side of things days of brothers and sisters running schools, hospitals, etc... on bake sales and other charity began coming to an end by 1960's or so. Parents wanted and expected schools that had modern buildings, classrooms, highly educated and trained teachers/staff, etc... That all cost money. Real if isn't "The Bells of St. Mary's".

As Catholics packed up and moved in post war years it caused changes in parishes and archdioceses. Once stable Irish, Italian, German, Polish, etc.... parishes that filled masses and sent their (often large) families to Catholic schools began to dry up. Parishes did their best to keep schools open but where attendance of active contributing parishioners declines, where does the money come from?

In years following Vatican II numbers of professed religious (nuns, monks, brothers, sisters) and clergy (priests) began to fall off a cliff. Convents and monasteries were emptying out as religious left their orders, on other side numbers of new arrivals dropped like a stone. Orders that once boasted healthy numbers of "dedicated servants" to staff schools, hospitals and other ministries now had to hire lay persons.

Probably 1960's through 1970's was great last gasp of RC church and institutions in USA. By about 1980's things just started coming apart for host of reasons including those mentioned above.

Haven't even touched the near weekly litany of abuse scandals not just in USA but Europe and South America involving RC church and children/teens that make the news.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/653598...h/51894400613/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/653598...h/39204911760/

Old 04-12-2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Apparently the enrollment absolutely plummeted the last four years or so. Local density for families who want (and can afford) to send their daughters to the all-girls Catholic school is now very very low.

At the same time one has to wonder if it would have thrived if it had the academic reputation of (all boys, much larger, very successful) Chaminade.

In any case (the all-girls and Catholic) Sacred Heart Academy in Hempstead is still doing well.
Issue for many Catholic schools was in recent times they became defacto "cheap" choice of private school for children who weren't RC.

In many areas black, Asian and other parents sent their kids to Catholic school instead of (usually) bad local public. This even if they themselves were not RC. Even better many schools gave out scholarships or otherwise reduced tuition for those kids.

On one had classes were full, but not every family was holding up their end. Catholic parents were usually expected to hand over an envelope at Mass or otherwise contribute to local parish.

To be fair Catholic schools of all sorts long had scholarship students or other arrangements for families that couldn't pay full tuition. But you cannot have situations where majority of student body isn't paying full freight. Especially when parish itself is struggling to balance the books.

Just as Medicare/Medicaid helped kill off demand for Catholic charity hospitals, arrival of charter schools has offered "poor" or whatever parents another option for high quality education. Better still it doesn't cost them anything.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Apparently the enrollment absolutely plummeted the last four years or so. Local density for families who want (and can afford) to send their daughters to the all-girls Catholic school is now very very low.

At the same time one has to wonder if it would have thrived if it had the academic reputation of (all boys, much larger, very successful) Chaminade.

In any case (the all-girls and Catholic) Sacred Heart Academy in Hempstead is still doing well.
It's pretty much always been that way; boys private schools religious or secular usually don't have issues raising funds.

Where Catholic schools have gone co-ed from what one sees it's usually a formerly all boys primary, secondary or even higher education place that begins to admit girls/young women.

Old 04-12-2024, 10:54 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I lived in Oyster Bay Cove off Berry Hill Rd. on the way to Syosset. My best neighbor friend went there. She both loved and hated it. I hadn't thought of OLM for years. That's some expensive property.

I was at her graduation.

Old 04-13-2024, 05:17 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
/\ Given the location in Syosset, those 120 acres must be worth an absolute fortune. Of course the structures, etc. would complicate things if/when the Sisters of Mercy decide to sell. Fond memories of attending OLMA dances back in the day.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:54 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not meaning to cause offense, but you're obviously not Catholic.

It isn't the 1940's, 1950's, 1960's or even 1970's any longer, world has changed and that includes for Catholics in USA.

Vatican II shook up the church in ways that are still being felt today.

There was a time when Catholics *had* to send their kids to religious institutions, use Catholic hospitals, etc.... That began to fall by wayside starting around post WWII years and picked up steam by 1970's.

First and foremost many Catholics packed up and moved to suburbs post WWII. Those areas offered good to excellent public primary and secondary education. This was something people were paying taxes already to support. So choice to send kids to private religious school became less unless parents wanted to do so for various reasons.

On other side of things days of brothers and sisters running schools, hospitals, etc... on bake sales and other charity began coming to an end by 1960's or so. Parents wanted and expected schools that had modern buildings, classrooms, highly educated and trained teachers/staff, etc... That all cost money. Real if isn't "The Bells of St. Mary's".

As Catholics packed up and moved in post war years it caused changes in parishes and archdioceses. Once stable Irish, Italian, German, Polish, etc.... parishes that filled masses and sent their (often large) families to Catholic schools began to dry up. Parishes did their best to keep schools open but where attendance of active contributing parishioners declines, where does the money come from?

In years following Vatican II numbers of professed religious (nuns, monks, brothers, sisters) and clergy (priests) began to fall off a cliff. Convents and monasteries were emptying out as religious left their orders, on other side numbers of new arrivals dropped like a stone. Orders that once boasted healthy numbers of "dedicated servants" to staff schools, hospitals and other ministries now had to hire lay persons.

Probably 1960's through 1970's was great last gasp of RC church and institutions in USA. By about 1980's things just started coming apart for host of reasons including those mentioned above.

Haven't even touched the near weekly litany of abuse scandals not just in USA but Europe and South America involving RC church and children/teens that make the news.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/653598...h/51894400613/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/653598...h/39204911760/
All of this. I am a senior and I went all through Catholic grade school for $0 dollars. 1959 - 67 My 4 year younger sister, may parents paid $60 for her 8th grade. We both went to Catholic HS. my 4 years cost $1000, my sister was $2500

The nuns and priests and brothers were essentially given a small stipend plus the rectory for the priests, convent for the nuns and friary for the brothers. The food was free and they had health care paid for by the diocese.
There are not many of them around now and even for those that are their food and healthcare and utilities have increased. Now add to that the number of lay teachers who have replaced them. It is not sustainable.
In the case of Chaminade and Kellenberg, the brothers are Jacks of all trades. They drive buses, do construction, and all sorts of handyman type jobs. Chaminade has a HUGE endowment fund, too.

To this day, I can credit the nuns with my reading skills and spelling skills and am delighted for the foundation they provided me.

Old 04-13-2024, 12:33 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
All of this. I am a senior and I went all through Catholic grade school for $0 dollars. 1959 - 67 My 4 year younger sister, may parents paid $60 for her 8th grade. We both went to Catholic HS. my 4 years cost $1000, my sister was $2500

The nuns and priests and brothers were essentially given a small stipend plus the rectory for the priests, convent for the nuns and friary for the brothers. The food was free and they had health care paid for by the diocese.
There are not many of them around now and even for those that are their food and healthcare and utilities have increased. Now add to that the number of lay teachers who have replaced them. It is not sustainable.
In the case of Chaminade and Kellenberg, the brothers are Jacks of all trades. They drive buses, do construction, and all sorts of handyman type jobs. Chaminade has a HUGE endowment fund, too.

To this day, I can credit the nuns with my reading skills and spelling skills and am delighted for the foundation they provided me.
My family must have missed the free days LOL....my parents pulled everyone from Catholic school once my oldest sister graduated 8th grade - they were tired of paying for classes of 40+ kids.

Catholics schools nowadays are full of teachers who not only do not have a masters but often don't even have a degree in education. My sister lives in upstate NY, she has never taught a day in her life before last year when she landed a job teaching math to middle schoolers. Most of her colleagues don't have a teaching degree and she's even got a couple co workers who aren't Catholic which would have been unheard of not that long ago.

Old 04-13-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

What about penmanship?

Old 04-13-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I lived in Oyster Bay Cove off Berry Hill Rd. on the way to Syosset. My best neighbor friend went there. She both loved and hated it. I hadn't thought of OLM for years. That's some expensive property.

I was at her graduation.
Katy Perry is watching events play out and taking notes...

For those that didn't get the joke: https://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/30/e...ase/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island