Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 06:30 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveTheWorldBehind View Post
even if you convert the garage they raise taxes?

does anyone know , ball park figure speaking HOW much your taxes will go up?

Is it $100? $500 $5000?

so you are saying its possible that your taxes can go from $12,000 to $20,000 if you do things like make the garage into living spaces or make it a dormer?
No one can say because no one knows where you live or what's been going on with your house in the past. Have past owners grieved the taxes or let them spiral? What exactly are you doing? etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 09:03 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The OP does raise an interesting point. Home improvements can lead to a tax increase.

I actually had discussions on this family and friends. Because the Long Island taxes are so high already, its like they are deliberately trying to discourage people from improving their homes. Or if they do improve their home, to do it without a permit and under the radar screen. Either way, the town and school district are losing additional revenue.
The county, town, school, etc are going to collect what they are going to collect regardless if the work is done or not or if a permit is done or not. Now, how that amount gets spread across all taxpayers would be determined in part by the improvements made, etc

Old 12-19-2023, 06:10 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,327,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
If you currently have a 1300 sq/ft home and you want to add a dormer to make it 2000 sq/ft, of course it will be raised. You are increasing the size of the house, which increases the value of the house. The govt wants their share of what you have. The garage will be taxed. As mentioned above, leave the garage doors on and no one will know and the taxes will not go up.

There was an old house in Oyster Bay we were going to buy for $300K back in 2013. It was old and needed work and had a store front attached to the front that nearly went to the street. I would have removed that store front. There was no commercial property allowed in that area. The walls were made of tin. It needed a lot of work. I asked my friend that build houses if I should buy it, knock it down and build another house. He said that the current $6k taxes would most likely go up to about $25.000 due to being charged New Construction tax rates. Of course, you could leave up one wall and possibly get away with it.
That one wall loophole ended a long time ago. If you double the sq footage it’s taxed at new construction.

Old 12-19-2023, 06:32 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The county, town, school, etc are going to collect what they are going to collect regardless if the work is done or not or if a permit is done or not. Now, how that amount gets spread across all taxpayers would be determined in part by the improvements made, etc
If the work is NOT done, for instance NOT putting in a new fireplace, inground pool or new addition to the house, they will not raise your taxes for it. You cannot raise taxes for something that does not actually exist but instead is only an idea in someone's head.

That is what I mean by high taxes discouraging people from improving their homes. People might want to add a new room to the house, say a large den with a fireplace, but then have second thoughts when they realize they are already paying $11,000 a year in property taxes. Why make it even worse?

Instead, they decide to move to North Carolina.

Old 12-19-2023, 07:49 AM

84 posts, read 46,579 times
I called the nassau county assessor to inquiry wo giving my name or address. I asked if I need to make an appointment after work is done. I had to demo an illegal
Deck and front porch. File permits so i can build a new portico. So i have two less things now.

Lady said once permit gets signed off by town, they (the assessor) will be notify by town & will
Come to your property whenever they get to it. They do an assessment for exterior, hence, the property sketch on their website. They may or may not ask if they can come in. Some will
Ask to verify how many baths or rooms.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveTheWorldBehind View Post
even if you convert the garage they raise taxes?

does anyone know , ball park figure speaking HOW much your taxes will go up?

Is it $100? $500 $5000?

so you are saying its possible that your taxes can go from $12,000 to $20,000 if you do things like make the garage into living spaces or make it a dormer?
Most of those garage conversions with the door left are done without permits and therefore do not affect taxes. The problem is that when they go to sell the lender may require permit and compliance after the fact or deny the loan. This happened to us at a house in California, and we lost that buyer.

Last edited by Hemlock140; 12-19-2023 at 08:25 AM..

Old 12-19-2023, 08:18 AM

2,451 posts, read 1,679,952 times
Quote:
The OP does raise an interesting point. Home improvements can lead to a tax increase.

I actually had discussions on this family and friends. Because the Long Island taxes are so high already, its like they are deliberately trying to discourage people from improving their homes. Or if they do improve their home, to do it without a permit and under the radar screen. Either way, the town and school district are losing additional revenue.
or they have to keep raising taxes because of all the people illegally not getting permits and paying the taxes they owe.

Another big thing is how most people extremely exaggerate how much their taxes will actually go up. I have seen it with friends. Instead of building a new house like they want and can afford. They remodel or add on a extra room. In reality they are saving tens of dollars a month to live in a remodeled house instead of a new house designed like they wanted.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:46 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,455,621 times
Quote:
If the work is NOT done, for instance NOT putting in a new fireplace, inground pool or new addition to the house, they will not raise your taxes for it. You cannot raise taxes for something that does not actually exist but instead is only an idea in someone's head.

That is what I mean by high taxes discouraging people from improving their homes. People might want to add a new room to the house, say a large den with a fireplace, but then have second thoughts when they realize they are already paying $11,000 a year in property taxes. Why make it even worse?

When it comes down to it, I don't think really many people are deciding not to do work on their home because of taxes going up. For starters the cost of the tax increase would barely be a fraction of the cost. Secondly, something like that would be the case no matter where you are in the country. As an aside, I could see people not getting a permit for their work due to potential taxes, though again that is not unique to Long Island and could cause problems when you go to sell so that would be risk/reward

Old 12-19-2023, 09:27 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:

Hope they like rural areas. THe house we paid $350K for is now worth $750K. House on the other side of my neighborhood went for $1 mil last year. These are normal 4 BR center hall colonial homes.

THe insanity exists anywhere there are jobs.

Old 12-19-2023, 11:25 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,327,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
or they have to keep raising taxes because of all the people illegally not getting permits and paying the taxes they owe.

Another big thing is how most people extremely exaggerate how much their taxes will actually go up. I have seen it with friends. Instead of building a new house like they want and can afford. They remodel or add on a extra room. In reality they are saving tens of dollars a month to live in a remodeled house instead of a new house designed like they wanted.
I assume you don’t live on LI a new construction 3100 sq ft home in plainview or syosset will be taxed at 26-32k a year. A 1900 sq ft home will be 14-18k. It’s way more than tens of $$ a month. As most remodels are done w/o permits and don’t trigger big tax hikes. Additions crush your taxes as does new builds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island