Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 08:18 AM

55 posts, read 85,573 times

Advertisements

I can only imagine the property taxes for a, e.g 50 year old, $850k single family house in these areas would be approximately $15k yearly, but of course depending on the zoning of the school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 08:19 AM

Also, would anyone recommend Shoreham-Wading River area for our shopping criteria? I know our dollar would go a little further there comparing to the western part of the Suffolk County. The schools look decent on the paper (blue ribbons) and the lots are much larger too.

Last edited by NYrangers; 12-17-2023 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: adding more info

Old 12-17-2023, 01:29 PM

68 posts, read 25,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrangers View Post
I can only imagine the property taxes for a, e.g 50 year old, $850k single family house in these areas would be approximately $15k yearly, but of course depending on the zoning of the school district.
More like $17k+

Old 12-17-2023, 04:04 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Move off the island. Your moving with middle school kids so staying in your current town isn’t mentioned. Why not go else where ?

Old 12-17-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Move off the island. Your moving with middle school kids so staying in your current town isn’t mentioned. Why not go else where ?
We would stay put should we have the option. But I guess the situation won't allow.

Old 12-18-2023, 07:15 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Some information of Commack
Parts of Commack are in Huntington Township, others in Smithtown township. The dividing line is Commack Road, which becomes aptly named Townline Road north of Jericho Turnpike (NY 25). This will determine differences in garbage collection, library districts (there two libraries , one for each of the townships) , taxing districts, parking for LIRR (for example you cannot purchase a resident parking sticker for the Huntington train station if you live in the Smithtown township section of Commack). You mentioned working remotely, but believe me if you commute to NYC, you want to commute from Huntington. Town beaches, another consideration. Smithtown parks are VERY strict about who uses their parks and beaches.
IMO Callahans Beach is the gem of Smithtown parks, Crab Meadow the gem of Huntington parks. Both quite nice.

Another interesting fact is that parts of East Northport attend Commack schools. The area bordered on north by Clay Pitts Road, west on Larkfield Road, east on Commack Road and south on Burr Road has East Northport addresses, but residents there send their kids to Commack schools. And I *think* there are small sections of Commack that send their kids to other school districts. So be careful to inquire about which school district your kids will attend.

As mentioned, traffic is a nightmare in Commack, especially around the area where Jericho Tpke and Veterans Highway intersect, and Commack Road down by the Northern State Parkway and LIE interchanges.
Are you walter greenspan reborn/

Old 12-18-2023, 08:31 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
hahahaha !! R.I.P. Walter. He was one of a kind

Old 12-19-2023, 03:58 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
hahahaha !! R.I.P. Walter. He was one of a kind
Lol, I do miss Walter. He indeed was one of a kind.

That was a good post Lifetime, rate up.

Old 12-19-2023, 04:01 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
You stated a max of $850k as purchase price, but didn't indicate what your max is for RE taxes - that could eliminate one or more of the areas you're looking into.
I have heard Smithtown (school district but perhaps its much of the town) has high taxes and when I was looking at Commack a few years ago, they seemed kind of high too. Hauppauge was known for being lower but I have not looked there in a while.

Old 12-19-2023, 05:38 PM

2,686 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I have heard Smithtown (school district but perhaps its much of the town) has high taxes and when I was looking at Commack a few years ago, they seemed kind of high too. Hauppauge was known for being lower but I have not looked there in a while.
Commack SD taxes are atrocious, hauppauge is way lower. My friend in commack pays $900 a yr less than me for a house that’s 1100 sq ft smaller with a 1/2 basement on a highly busy street and would sell for 500k less same size lots. Commack as far as sale prices is a good value in the town of Huntington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island