Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 02:04 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,777,306 times

Advertisements

Shocker of all shocks the NYS court of appeals is allowing a new congressional map to be drawn in 24’ you can bet the Dems will try to gerrymander again. Kind of makes the santos seat of less significance because who ever wins it will likely be in a district that is totally different. If they are smart they won’t go as crazy as last time or they will end up with another lawsuit as gerrymandering is barred by the NYS constitution.

https://www.newsday.com/news/region-...peals-spzbcla7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 03:23 PM

31,931 posts, read 27,028,526 times
You knew this was going to happen when democrat majority in Albany senate forced governor to place majority of liberal, progressive judges on top court panel.

Sad news is democrats only require slight modifications to a few districts in order to make them democrat majority. That is what they will do....

Old 12-12-2023, 03:29 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,479,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Shocker of all shocks the NYS court of appeals is allowing a new congressional map to be drawn in 24’ you can bet the Dems will try to gerrymander again. Kind of makes the santos seat of less significance because who ever wins it will likely be in a district that is totally different. If they are smart they won’t go as crazy as last time or they will end up with another lawsuit as gerrymandering is barred by the NYS constitution.

https://www.newsday.com/news/region-...peals-spzbcla7
I would expect them to go with a more toned down map to keep it potentially out of court. With that said, after what recently transpired in Ohio (very similar voter passed Referendum in the State Constitution) and North Carolina (not the same voter passed Referendum in the State Constitution, but overturned in 2022 on similar State Constitution grounds), it wouldn't surprise me if they took the same attitude as the Legislatures in those states and went balls to the wall

Old 12-12-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I would expect them to go with a more toned down map to keep it potentially out of court. With that said, after what recently transpired in Ohio (very similar voter passed Referendum in the State Constitution) and North Carolina (not the same voter passed Referendum in the State Constitution, but overturned in 2022 on similar State Constitution grounds), it wouldn't surprise me if they took the same attitude as the Legislatures in those states and went balls to the wall
The thing is they tried going balls to the wall last time and it literally backfired and blew up in their faces. But this is the Dem run legislature we are talking about so who knows. Regardless the commission gets first crack at creating the map. I haven’t really analyzed it myself but an NBC analyst said the new GOP gerrymandered map in NC will likely negate any gains in NY from a similar map

Old 12-12-2023, 06:25 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,711,582 times
You think they would make is less obvious the FIX is in

Old 12-12-2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
The thing is they tried going balls to the wall last time and it literally backfired and blew up in their faces. But this is the Dem run legislature we are talking about so who knows. Regardless the commission gets first crack at creating the map. I haven’t really analyzed it myself but an NBC analyst said the new GOP gerrymandered map in NC will likely negate any gains in NY from a similar map
That was part of my point. North Carolina, Ohio and New York all drew balls to the wall maps in 2022 and all got thrown out. Ohio drew another balls to the wall map the court rejected, but basically ran the clock out. North Carolina drew a balls to the wall map for next year. Granted, it's different state courts, but the fact North Carolina and Ohio eventually got away with a balls to the wall map, might give NY Democrats more of a reason to try it.

As far the North Carolina and NY gerrymanders canceling each other out from 2022, that is probably a fair analysis. In NC two safe Democratic seats became safe Republican seats, one swing district the Democrats hold became a safe GOP seat and one Dem leaning/solid district became a swing district. We don't know what the NY maps will be, but I could see something similar. The bigger impacts are likely to be Dem leaning districts in which Republicans hold or did hold ( Santos, D'Esposito, Lawler), will likely be made harder to kerp, though again too early to tell

Old 12-13-2023, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
That was part of my point. North Carolina, Ohio and New York all drew balls to the wall maps in 2022 and all got thrown out. Ohio drew another balls to the wall map the court rejected, but basically ran the clock out. North Carolina drew a balls to the wall map for next year. Granted, it's different state courts, but the fact North Carolina and Ohio eventually got away with a balls to the wall map, might give NY Democrats more of a reason to try it.

As far the North Carolina and NY gerrymanders canceling each other out from 2022, that is probably a fair analysis. In NC two safe Democratic seats became safe Republican seats, one swing district the Democrats hold became a safe GOP seat and one Dem leaning/solid district became a swing district. We don't know what the NY maps will be, but I could see something similar. The bigger impacts are likely to be Dem leaning districts in which Republicans hold or did hold ( Santos, D'Esposito, Lawler), will likely be made harder to kerp, though again too early to tell
Ahhh I see what you are saying now good analysis. Still even with the NY court makeup changing I find it tough to believe the courts would allow a blatant on its face gerrymandered map when it’s explicitly barred in the NYS constitution. Still they could sure give it a try what have they got to lose

Old 12-13-2023, 05:36 AM

20,081 posts, read 20,883,901 times
Communism.
Heil Hochul!

Old 12-13-2023, 05:47 AM

2,449 posts, read 1,224,277 times
Let me guess, the people still lose right?

Old 12-13-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Ahhh I see what you are saying now good analysis. Still even with the NY court makeup changing I find it tough to believe the courts would allow a blatant on its face gerrymandered map when it’s explicitly barred in the NYS constitution. Still they could sure give it a try what have they got to lose
It happened in Ohio with virtually the exact same language in their state constitution so the well they did it so less do it to wouldn't completely surprise me. With that said, I would still expect a gerrymander, though a less aggressive one than what was tried in 2022
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island