Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 06:36 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I would love to see teachers pay for healthcare. My 12k in school tax can use a break in increases this year. Let’s offset some of these costs. Every time a budget fails they don’t risk anything to their benefits it’s the kids that lose their unions are to strong.
Teachers in Houston, and all of Texas, pay for health care. The best plan for Houston ISD is $400 per month for a family, with a largish deductible and high maximum out of pocket.

Teacher unions in Texas are toothless. Teachers can't strike(it's against the law) and there is no collective bargaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 06:37 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
More taxes. Last I saw one proposal was 4 percent house hold income tax.
Keep in mind that with universal Medicare you would not be paying health insurance premiums.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:50 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Keep in mind that with universal Medicare you would not be paying health insurance premiums.
Which is a fair point but Some people pay zero in premiums though currently. So a family making 300k can lose 12k off the top possibly more depending on the tax rate.

Also if this really wants to be pushed something with cost of living needs adjusting for higher income but higher cost states. Perfect example is the salt tax. It effects certain areas more.

100k on Long Island vs a 100k in another cheaper cost of living area is a massive difference. I don’t think a flat tax is fair.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 243 times
Health insurance are middlemen that rake in tens of billions a year and they are not needed. They only exist because of lobbying, kinda like the accounting industry with their lobbying of stopping people from just getting a bill from the IRS (you already know how much I owe why can't I just pay you end of the year and be done with it rather than pay a damn accountant or the stupid tax softwares?)

Also imagine how much the economy would be better without tethering healthcare to employment? A ton of people would be willing to take the leap into entrepreneurship if they don't have to worry about working a job to keep the health insurance for their families.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:36 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
I work for the state and what no one mentions is that I made half the salary I could have in exchange for the benefits. Taking that away from any of us would be a massive scrugie unless they go back all of our years and give us the back pay we would have made if we had worked in the private sector. Seriously, I had to accept $50k in my IT job on 2009 which was a huge insult. I turned down the offer but my wife told me to do it “for now” since we just had a baby and the benefits were good. So, I am not willing to give anything up for anyone. I sacrificed to get this healthcare. If people do not have decent healthcare, it is most likely that they did not plan on their future regarding education, careers, finances, etc. we are all born as helpless babies and the playing field is level, overall. Of course there are hardships and things that happen but the majority of people without healthcare screwed themselves ovr somehow. None of us are responsible for their poor planning. I did what I had to do. They should too.

I would be for free healthcare for all of we cut off every single illegal immigrant right now and put all of that money to healthcare for legal citizens. But the responsible people should not foot the bill for those who got themselves in this situation.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:47 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I work for the state and what no one mentions is that I made half the salary I could have in exchange for the benefits. Taking that away from any of us would be a massive scrugie unless they go back all of our years and give us the back pay we would have made if we had worked in the private sector. Seriously, I had to accept $50k in my IT job on 2009 which was a huge insult. I turned down the offer but my wife told me to do it “for now” since we just had a baby and the benefits were good. So, I am not willing to give anything up for anyone. I sacrificed to get this healthcare. If people do not have decent healthcare, it is most likely that they did not plan on their future regarding education, careers, finances, etc. we are all born as helpless babies and the playing field is level, overall. Of course there are hardships and things that happen but the majority of people without healthcare screwed themselves ovr somehow. None of us are responsible for their poor planning. I did what I had to do. They should too.

I would be for free healthcare for all of we cut off every single illegal immigrant right now and put all of that money to healthcare for legal citizens. But the responsible people should not foot the bill for those who got themselves in this situation.
Your choice to work for the state. You got generous benefits pension and union protection in exchange for supposedly lower pay. Those in private sector accepted the reverse. Higher pay for no pension and less generous benefits.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:41 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Exactly. I worked for the state so I would be ok for retirement. It surely wasn’t to live the high life in my younger years. Always had cars that were 5 years old or older. Lived in the most mediocre town. Nothing lavish. Those who worked for the private sector got their money upfront. If they didn’t invest it and use it to get good insurance, then they squandered it away. Don’t look toward anyone to help you now. If they do, then I will look for hundreds of thousands of dollars of salary that I never made because of my decision. See how ridiculous that sounds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island