Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 06:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,331,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
A good starting point question is why are civil servants getting such great insurance at such a discount? Much is said about the gap in money between rich and poor, yet not a peep about the gap in insurance costs.

Universal health would be a way to theoretically even the playing field, but can you see civil servants giving up their very generous benefits and pay 10% of their income for premiums as is the expected cost for universal health and the current cost for subsidized Obamacare premiums?
F that I’m a recipient of that as my wife is a teacher. I can assure you that probably half of teachers would loose their houses or apartments if they lost 10% of their salary. My wife’s entire school lives check to check as they know what there salary will be increased year over year and that they can’t lose there job. They don’t save for $$ or for retirement due to the pension that they will live off of out of state. At some point I wouldn’t be surprised if her union sold out the next generation as a bargaining chip for more $$ in exchange for letting new employees pay 5-20% of premiums.

A family making 200k on LI would then have to pay 20k a year for universal healthcare. Most likely they are paying no more than 3-6k from their employee, this would financially hurt the entire middle class in large metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2023, 07:48 PM

186 posts, read 67,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
You don't want to make it political, but you're also the one who brought Obama and Bernie into the conversation. Health insurance has never been cheap, but it was somewhat reasonable before Obama.

Since "Obamacare" my health insurance premiums have seen double-digit increases every year. All while co-pays and deductibles rise and benefits decrease. It's more than coincidence to me that costs went bananas when Obamacare went into effect.

Insurance companies are certainly a big part of the problem. It is, however, the politicians that fail to address that, and other root causes. Instead, they create a boondoggle like Obamacare which does the opposite of what they claim.
Well, that is what happens when insurance companies can no longer deny people for pre-existing conditions, they can't drop people from their coverage when they get an expensive illness, aren't allowed to set lifetime maximums, and must cap subscriber out-of-pocket expenses. Naturally, cost-sharing will go up.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:42 AM

7,938 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
F that I’m a recipient of that as my wife is a teacher. I can assure you that probably half of teachers would loose their houses or apartments if they lost 10% of their salary. My wife’s entire school lives check to check as they know what there salary will be increased year over year and that they can’t lose there job. They don’t save for $$ or for retirement due to the pension that they will live off of out of state. At some point I wouldn’t be surprised if her union sold out the next generation as a bargaining chip for more $$ in exchange for letting new employees pay 5-20% of premiums.

A family making 200k on LI would then have to pay 20k a year for universal healthcare. Most likely they are paying no more than 3-6k from their employee, this would financially hurt the entire middle class in large metros.
Got news for you. Those on Obamacare in that salary range are already paying that much for insurance, with a 9k deductible.

Those teachers and civil servants dont appreciate what their insurance is worth (and their incredible pensions, but that is a story for another thread)

Old 12-03-2023, 08:18 AM

1,467 posts, read 760,934 times
I would love to see teachers pay for healthcare. My 12k in school tax can use a break in increases this year. Let’s offset some of these costs. Every time a budget fails they don’t risk anything to their benefits it’s the kids that lose their unions are to strong.

Old 12-03-2023, 08:55 AM

Empire blue cross costs districts aka tax payers atleast 30k a year per family enrollee. Most companies cant offer a comparable plan. Forget Obamacare, not even in the running.

In this day and age of "equity" why is such a small subset of the population, governental unions, getting such outlandish benefits compared to the average taxpayer?

People are up in arms over the nut Santos using campain funds for Botox. They should be more worried about the union campaign money being used to bribe politicians to write laws like guaranteeing a return on their pensions that is higher than the long term average return on the stock market.

Old 12-03-2023, 04:09 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,331,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Got news for you. Those on Obamacare in that salary range are already paying that much for insurance, with a 9k deductible.

Those teachers and civil servants dont appreciate what their insurance is worth (and their incredible pensions, but that is a story for another thread)
Obama care is garbage, better off putting your house stocks, money etc in a trust. If something goes down your now poor and your $$ is protected. The tax code is full of loopholes to avoid paying bills and protecting your assets.

Old 12-03-2023, 04:39 PM

90 posts, read 67,113 times
Can we talk about Medicare? I'm basically happy with it. Yes, it has its gaps, but the premiums and co-pays are pretty reasonable, and it does a good job covering seniors' health care needs. Obamacare is not the solution that it was supposed to be (”affordable” health care). Why shouldn't we take a fresh look at medicare for all?

Welcome hearing dissenting voices, but please be civil and specific in any criticisms.

Old 12-03-2023, 04:47 PM

1,467 posts, read 760,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilawyer View Post
Can we talk about Medicare? I'm basically happy with it. Yes, it has its gaps, but the premiums and co-pays are pretty reasonable, and it does a good job covering seniors' health care needs. Obamacare is not the solution that it was supposed to be (”affordable” health care). Why shouldn't we take a fresh look at medicare for all?

Welcome hearing dissenting voices, but please be civil and specific in any criticisms.
More taxes. Last I saw one proposal was 4 percent house hold income tax.

Old 12-03-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilawyer View Post

Medicare in lieu of Obamacare could possibly save some money as you would bypass having to sign up with a for profit health insurer. A sliding scale payment for Medicaid would probably be easier as there is a state component to it rather than the purely Federal controlled Medicare, but that will make coverage spotty as some states will refuse the Medicaid expansion as they did when Obamacare was first started.

Medicare for all would require from what I read years ago about a 10 - 15% increase in FICA taxes. With the "I got mine, *********" attitude from those who currently have good insurance. I doubt it will ever be successful.

Do you really think we will be able to convince govt workers getting Empire BCBS for a pittance to agree to paying 15% more in taxes for less coverage than they get now? Even those with good insurance via their jobs will not want to give it up. Will the politicians have the balls to force it when their best paying lobbyists will pull their financial support for even considering it? Would eliminating the health insurance write off for businesses force more people off company plans and make Obamacare more of a need for more people causing more attention to be paid to it?

As a self employed person paying for his own insurance, I have followed this for decades. We aren't any closer to implementing it. Obamacare could have been better and cheaper if you put all the Fed govt workers on it to build a pool of younger, healthier people on it, but the govt wouldn't even do that.

Right now there is no Obamacare subsidy cliff and you pay max of 10% of your household income to premiums. That ends in 2025 and will be a disaster for those who earn over the cliff ( only 400% of federal poverty limit).

Supposedly DeSantis has a plan that he is scheduled to announce; Trump wants to end Obamacare, but like during his term, has no plans on what to replace it with. I don't think Biden plans any changes except to extend the elimination of the subsidy cliffs.

Prior to Obamacare, I was able to join a business association for a hundred bucks a year to get access to group health insurance with an HSA for a few hundred a month. Now I pay over a grand thanks to a subsidy (silver plan is $2400 a month) with 9k deductible but is not HSA compatible as per NYS. I did much better before cost wise before, but to be fair, I don't know what the premium would be for that scenario today if it was allowed.

Last edited by NSHL10; 12-03-2023 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: added

Old 12-03-2023, 06:32 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeek117 View Post
Well, that is what happens when insurance companies can no longer deny people for pre-existing conditions, they can't drop people from their coverage when they get an expensive illness, aren't allowed to set lifetime maximums, and must cap subscriber out-of-pocket expenses. Naturally, cost-sharing will go up.
Do you think people with pre-existing conditions should not be able to get health insurance? How about if their employer terminated the health plan to save money? Or someone who was laid off and lost coverage?

Do you think that someone with cancer should stop getting treatments when they hit a certain expense number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island