Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 05:56 PM

61 posts, read 20,661 times

Advertisements

Time to contact all our local officials and quash this immediately. People have no idea how much it is going to cost.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/lipa-unv...for-customers#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 01:24 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota500 View Post
Time to contact all our local officials and quash this immediately. People have no idea how much it is going to cost.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/lipa-unv...for-customers#
Am not seeing a problem here...

Con Edison and other electric utilities across country have rolled out time of day pricing, largely made possible by introduction and installation of smart meters. Across Europe this has been common for some time now.

Considering how sky high electric rates are in NYC, Westchester, LI and elsewhere in NYS anything that can shave some pennies off daily usage rates is a win in my book.

AC, heating, hot water might be problematic, but there are tons of other appliances in homes that consume major amounts of juice that would benefit from switching use to off peak hours. Washing machines, clothes dryers and dishwashers are but a few. In fact many newer appliances come with programmable timer features so you can load things up, then set it to start some time later.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:08 AM

2,437 posts, read 1,215,423 times
While you're at it, contact your local politicians and tell them you want to lift the ban on fracking in NY, pursue nuclear power and get the USA back to energy independence.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:38 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
I had a TOU plan for a bit. I had the 11p-6a off peak hours. My bill drastically dropped. I would do laundry charge my car at those times. I was awake anyways, the one they want to push 3-7 peak won’t save much $$ if any. I have solar so pseg can suck it. They will never see $1 from me for next 19.4 years besides the $13 monthly connection fee. TOU will be good for some but not all.

**** SnoozeDay reported yesterday this was delayed until 2025 due to some issues. You have 15 months st minimum before this happens.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:14 AM

913 posts, read 560,292 times
"The time-of-use plan is optional and will come with a one-year guarantee by LIPA to refund the difference to customers whose bills are higher under the new rate, compared with their prior standard rate."

Old 09-28-2023, 11:54 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,768,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I had a TOU plan for a bit. I had the 11p-6a off peak hours. My bill drastically dropped. I would do laundry charge my car at those times. I was awake anyways, the one they want to push 3-7 peak won’t save much $$ if any. I have solar so pseg can suck it. They will never see $1 from me for next 19.4 years besides the $13 monthly connection fee. TOU will be good for some but not all.

**** SnoozeDay reported yesterday this was delayed until 2025 due to some issues. You have 15 months st minimum before this happens.
Same here, solar, glad I don't have to deal with any of that crap anymore. Although TOU is not a new thing and is widely used all over the country.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Am not seeing a problem here...

Con Edison and other electric utilities across country have rolled out time of day pricing, largely made possible by introduction and installation of smart meters. Across Europe this has been common for some time now.

Considering how sky high electric rates are in NYC, Westchester, LI and elsewhere in NYS anything that can shave some pennies off daily usage rates is a win in my book.

AC, heating, hot water might be problematic, but there are tons of other appliances in homes that consume major amounts of juice that would benefit from switching use to off peak hours. Washing machines, clothes dryers and dishwashers are but a few. In fact many newer appliances come with programmable timer features so you can load things up, then set it to start some time later.
You are very naive. Did you check out the price per kwh, and also realize that does not include the added tax? Most of the items in your home can not be limited to use after midnight till five in the morning. The price per kwh during peak and "slightly" off peak hours is disastrous and using electric in the wee hours does not ameliorate the high cost. You mention shaving "pennies off". Those pennies are nothing compared to what people are going to be hit with.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
"The time-of-use plan is optional and will come with a one-year guarantee by LIPA to refund the difference to customers whose bills are higher under the new rate, compared with their prior standard rate."
Optional for now, and then mandatory. Been through this with Con Ed years ago. NO refund of difference! You had better start researching the cost.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:43 AM

383 posts, read 397,845 times
Long Island created their own energy problems in the 80's when they shut down Shoreham and have been complaining ever since.

Old 09-29-2023, 03:54 PM

Con Ed never had an energy problem when they tried to force mandatory TOU. Simply money hungry. Same story today on the part of all utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: