Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 02:28 PM

10,123 posts, read 1,026,513 times

Advertisements

This morning my husband and I went to get my car washed - lots of pollen & tree sap - we went to a car wash on Montauk Hwy by 7-11 (Spiffy of Lindenhurst) - pulled up - I got out to use the machine - a chunky Hispanic guy comes over and says "If you use the machine yourself, it charges another $5.00) I didn't know if he was kidding - apparently you are not supposed to use the machine - so I told him I wanted standard wash ($9) - he tries to upsell me the $14.00 wash - meanwhile, my husband is in the car listening, getting mad, says to the guy, stop talking to my wife and says to me to get in the car - We are done here. The guy curses at him and calls him out on it - my husband says, "you want to fight a 72 year old man?"

So we went to Washville in Amityville - I got out to use the machine - attendent (woman) comes over and says I can't use the machine, she has to do it - she starts hitting buttons - $11.00 for standard wash - I asked for a receipt - she forgets to hit that button - says "oops".

What is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 05:30 PM

1,467 posts, read 760,934 times
Not much of a story but I pay 68 for a “deluxe” cash wash before tips when I’m to busy to do it myself. Well worth the money.

A quick search shows washvilles cheapest wash is 10 dollars before tax. So I don’t see the issue with them. Maybe she owes you .135 cents ?

I don’t think someone is upselling you if your car is covered in heavy pollen and tree sap. Seems like he was maybe trying to explain that you needed something better.

Tree sap isn’t coming out with a basic wash and will ruin your clear coat.

Last edited by 94nasupra; 09-09-2023 at 05:40 PM..

Old 09-09-2023, 05:37 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,016,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Not much of a story but I pay 68 for a “deluxe” cash wash before tips when I’m to busy to do it myself. Well worth the money.
Seriously? This belongs over in the "Why do people brag about weird things" thread in the Psychology forum.

Old 09-09-2023, 05:45 PM

1,467 posts, read 760,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Seriously? This belongs over in the "Why do people brag about weird things" thread in the Psychology forum.
No one is bragging. It’s listed car wash stories and the posters prices are listed maybe they need a reference point. Maybe ask the poster why she decided to list the workers “heavy” build” and ethnicity when describing her prices and maybe refer her to the psychology forums.

Old 09-09-2023, 06:37 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
The car wash on LI Avenue in Deer Park is fantastic, Pooran . Everyone
is so nice . They give you a free car wash for every five washes and they have a clean comfortable waiting room and coffee and cupcakes .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-09-2023, 09:07 PM

718 posts, read 620,863 times
Get off your fat lazy behinds and wash your own damn car. All those washes do is take their dirty brushes from every car that we t in front of yours then wipes them on your car.

All you get is watered down diluted products and pay top dollar.

Old 09-10-2023, 08:37 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
This morning my husband and I went to get my car washed - lots of pollen & tree sap - we went to a car wash on Montauk Hwy by 7-11 (Spiffy of Lindenhurst) - pulled up - I got out to use the machine - a chunky Hispanic guy comes over and says "If you use the machine yourself, it charges another $5.00) I didn't know if he was kidding - apparently you are not supposed to use the machine - so I told him I wanted standard wash ($9) - he tries to upsell me the $14.00 wash - meanwhile, my husband is in the car listening, getting mad, says to the guy, stop talking to my wife and says to me to get in the car - We are done here. The guy curses at him and calls him out on it - my husband says, "you want to fight a 72 year old man?"

So we went to Washville in Amityville - I got out to use the machine - attendent (woman) comes over and says I can't use the machine, she has to do it - she starts hitting buttons - $11.00 for standard wash - I asked for a receipt - she forgets to hit that button - says "oops".

What is going on?
You have a lot of confusion and anger.

In the future use google to find a self-service wash. There looks to be one near Spiffy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=self...client=gws-wiz

Old 09-10-2023, 12:08 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
I thought this was going to be car wash stories.

Well, I'm gonna share one you have not heard....

I belong to a motorcycle club (MC.) One of our initiations is a prospect gets to go thru a car wash. (We allow a helmet to be worn.)

Pro tip: Wear your leather jacket, because those spinning brushes HURT.

Gets kinda windy in there too. So wear yer ear plugs, too.

Doesn't really matter how much it costs, the "hot wax" stays on you for awhile, too.

Old 09-10-2023, 02:48 PM

10,123 posts, read 1,026,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Get off your fat lazy behinds and wash your own damn car. All those washes do is take their dirty brushes from every car that we t in front of yours then wipes them on your car.

All you get is watered down diluted products and pay top dollar.

My husband is 72 with stage 4 cancer and I am 68 with tendonitis. We live in apartment complex with no access to garden hose. We still try to keep our cars nice and clean. Unlike you, who is probably still driving a 1964 Dodge Dart that your mommy bought you. When you wash your car at home, all the water/soap goes into the ground water. At least at a car wash, the water is reclaimed and filtered.

Your turn--

Old 09-10-2023, 06:02 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,487 times
Long time ago I was a teenager and I had a flat tire that I was using a "Donut" spare tire. I didn't have the money to replace the flat but I did have enough to go get the car washed. It was one of those car wash's that drag the car on a track through by the rear drivers seat tire. Which happened to be where I had the Donut Spare.

The car made it all the way through the car wash till the end. I could not seem to get the car to move forward. I hit the gas a little more and the car spun out and all I remember was the car wash employee's diving to get out of the way. Thank God no one got hurt.

My friends went back to the same car wash not long after and there was a big sign. No Donut spare tire allowed!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island