Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 12:58 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
I don't like the idea of any enforcement by traffic camera. That said, I wouldn't mind the school bus camera thing if they did a few things in return.

1. Go back to actual school bus stops. In my area the school bus stops about every three houses. That's about 4-5 stops on one street. It's more a door-to-door taxi service. These middle and high school kids can walk 200 feet on a sidewalk. This would have the added benefit of the kids actually being ready and waiting for the bus in the morning. Now, the bus pulls up to the home, and it can take a while for the kid to actually leave the house and get on the bus. It's a long enough wait that the driver will wave people on (even with lights flashing). I'll wait even when they turn the lights off (because they will come back on with no notice).

2. Change the laws about divided highways. It's absurd that cars 6 lanes away on the other side of a median need to stop. If the argument is that the kid must cross that road, then the bus should stop on the other side.

3. Change bus stops to safer locations (where they use bus stops instead of door-to-door service). I get it that some kids may live on a divided highway, so some exceptions should be made. It still seems safer to have the bus turn on to a less busy residential street to drop off the kid. It won't kill them to walk an extra 50 feet.

4. And while I'm at it... school buses should not be on major highways. Especially not in the left lane. If "speed kills" there is no reason for a busload of kids to be on the LIE at 60-70 mph. Just as bad if the bus is going 50-55 with the traffic zipping around at 70. There are plenty of secondary roads available on LI. There might be an argument for certain exceptions where an expressway is necessary. For a daily bus route, there is no reason for it. Wouldn't it be "safer" to simply ride even the service road at 40mph than the expressway at 60mph+?

Like so many things, the cameras are about money under the guise of "it's for the children." There are other ways to make things safer for the kids and motorists that are never considered. What does get considered is a plan that makes the state a few dollars while awarding a very lucrative camera contract to political donors.

I also wonder if this a solution in search of a problem. Is intentionally passing a school bus really a thing? (Cameras won't stop people who do it accidentally). I drive quite a bit and only seen it happen once or twice on a large divided highway like Jericho Tpke. Has there been a number of kids getting hurt in recent years that prompted this program? Or did Hocul just need to pay back some of the people who helped get her elected?
Great points! Especially the bolded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 06:43 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,699,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
I don't like the idea of any enforcement by traffic camera. That said, I wouldn't mind the school bus camera thing if they did a few things in return.

1. Go back to actual school bus stops. In my area the school bus stops about every three houses. That's about 4-5 stops on one street. It's more a door-to-door taxi service. These middle and high school kids can walk 200 feet on a sidewalk. This would have the added benefit of the kids actually being ready and waiting for the bus in the morning. Now, the bus pulls up to the home, and it can take a while for the kid to actually leave the house and get on the bus. It's a long enough wait that the driver will wave people on (even with lights flashing). I'll wait even when they turn the lights off (because they will come back on with no notice).

2. Change the laws about divided highways. It's absurd that cars 6 lanes away on the other side of a median need to stop. If the argument is that the kid must cross that road, then the bus should stop on the other side.

3. Change bus stops to safer locations (where they use bus stops instead of door-to-door service). I get it that some kids may live on a divided highway, so some exceptions should be made. It still seems safer to have the bus turn on to a less busy residential street to drop off the kid. It won't kill them to walk an extra 50 feet.

4. And while I'm at it... school buses should not be on major highways. Especially not in the left lane. If "speed kills" there is no reason for a busload of kids to be on the LIE at 60-70 mph. Just as bad if the bus is going 50-55 with the traffic zipping around at 70. There are plenty of secondary roads available on LI. There might be an argument for certain exceptions where an expressway is necessary. For a daily bus route, there is no reason for it. Wouldn't it be "safer" to simply ride even the service road at 40mph than the expressway at 60mph+?

Like so many things, the cameras are about money under the guise of "it's for the children." There are other ways to make things safer for the kids and motorists that are never considered. What does get considered is a plan that makes the state a few dollars while awarding a very lucrative camera contract to political donors.

I also wonder if this a solution in search of a problem. Is intentionally passing a school bus really a thing? (Cameras won't stop people who do it accidentally). I drive quite a bit and only seen it happen once or twice on a large divided highway like Jericho Tpke. Has there been a number of kids getting hurt in recent years that prompted this program? Or did Hocul just need to pay back some of the people who helped get her elected?
The divided highway thing is way before Cruella... goes back to Daddy Cuomo at least

Old 11-14-2023, 05:58 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
but the law is actually written stupidly
Big government at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island