Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 02:57 PM

412 posts, read 290,940 times

Advertisements

I have a family member who just got one...and probably 100s of other folks based on what the video showed...when they were on a DIFFERENT ROAD than the bus. They were on a highway, the bus was on a residential street that ran sort of parallel... diagonal/parallel beside the highway, separated by grass/trees. So we're not talking about a divided highway here. We're talking about a different road, which happened to be in view of the bus camera.

Don't they have people that review the videos?? Now they have to waste time to fight a $250 ticket. Ticket should be thrown out and they should be reimbursed $200 per hour they need to take out of their life to fight it. Probably 100 people got a ticket in the mail on this one.

And I usually support bus cameras. We've had people speed by the bus our kids get on or honk when it takes more than 20 seconds for the kids to get on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 03:10 PM

6,491 posts, read 3,182,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
I don't like the idea of any enforcement by traffic camera. That said, I wouldn't mind the school bus camera thing if they did a few things in return.

1. Go back to actual school bus stops. In my area the school bus stops about every three houses. That's about 4-5 stops on one street. It's more a door-to-door taxi service. These middle and high school kids can walk 200 feet on a sidewalk. This would have the added benefit of the kids actually being ready and waiting for the bus in the morning. Now, the bus pulls up to the home, and it can take a while for the kid to actually leave the house and get on the bus. It's a long enough wait that the driver will wave people on (even with lights flashing). I'll wait even when they turn the lights off (because they will come back on with no notice).
Bingo!!

In the olden days, when I was in grade school, you had to live more that 1.5 miles, to be eligible for bus service. Under 1.5 miles, you walked. I lived 1.1 miles from school..........However, I will, in the sense of honesty, say that there were more, smaller, "neighborhood schools" back then, rather than the "centralized monstrosities" that are prevalent today.

When I reached high school, things changed, and I rode a bus. At that point, my township had the "bus stops" that you describe. I had to walk a block and a half, to reach that stop.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:01 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,503,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I already got a ticket for this in 2021. I was going to see a new doctor in Huntington and I was not familiar with the area. I was so focused on listening to my GPS and the road I had no Idea I passed a bus with the stop sign out on New York Ave.
Needless to say my husband was pissed.
My buddy just got one on Hempstead turnpike on the opposite side of traffic with a full median and a metal fence in the middle.

Last edited by haywood16; 06-22-2023 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: v

Old 06-22-2023, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
This is old news.

Not only just flashing lights but the stop sign needs to be out. If you go thru when it’s out you pay $250.
You'll see when you get one driving the opposite side of traffic on a busy road. People in Nassau are now getting them in the mail.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
it takes a special kind of moron to drive past a stopped school bus with the sign out. They can't make this fine high enough.
Most of the tickets wont come from that it will come from people unaware on the opposite side of the road or bus drivers opening the door while cars are just passing the bus. Its more big government theft.

Its cheaper to buy a plate hologram cover on Amazon. Most cops won't write you a ticket for it and the violation is a minor infraction.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:24 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,175,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
You'll see when you get one driving the opposite side of traffic on a busy road. People in Nassau are now getting them in the mail.
If there is no way for students to cross where the bus was stopped then that will be tossed out. But I agree to the fact that it’s going to cost people time and money to show up and fight those ones. And that’s not right.

PS - I got one 2 years ago when they first came out. 4 lane highway too. And only my back end was past the bus stop sign. Now I just stop as soon as I see any red flashing lights. Period.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:01 AM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 2 days ago)

8,820 posts, read 21,301,226 times
Its cheaper to buy a plate hologram cover on Amazon. Most cops won't write you a ticket for it and the violation is a minor infraction.

but, are you planning to drive past stopped school buses ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-22-2023, 11:20 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,772,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Most of the tickets wont come from that it will come from people unaware on the opposite side of the road or bus drivers opening the door while cars are just passing the bus. Its more big government theft.

or maybe just follow the rules of the road?

Old 06-22-2023, 07:28 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,241,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
or maybe just follow the rules of the road?
Not always the case. I was on 347 in Nesconset and there was a bus with flashing lights stopped in the opposite direction.
There was a landscaped median with sizable trees there, and you can barely see the opposite side (plus there was a truck in the left lane, my direction blocking my view. ).
I pulled over to the shoulder and stopped to avoid getting a violation. Other cars blew by me. Situations like this make following the law difficult.

Old 07-07-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

but, are you planning to drive past stopped school buses ?
Again,I don't think most people pass stopped school buses. They will be mostly from buses opening their doors while someone is in motion of passing the bus or being on the opposite rd with a full median. Just another money grab for expanded government. A plate cover will protect you from not only bus cams but speed zone cameras. Worthy investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island