Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 10:27 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I am not sure what is pejorative about the terms braves , warriors , chiefs or thunderbirds.
Aren't those positive terms ? I can see how "Red men" or "Indians" might be
insulting , but not the others . Many of our towns on Long Island are Native
American names ; do Setauket , Manhasset , Wantagh and all need to change their
names as well ?
Yep. ALL schools with Native American names have to change. Thunderbirds included. Wyndanch got a possible exception from the tribe but the lunatics on the state board said they missed the deadline.

That district upstate appealed the ruling that started this whole thing and a few LI districts may try to fight it but in the end knowing the judges in this state it’s a losing battle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 11:55 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I am not sure what is pejorative about the terms braves , warriors , chiefs or thunderbirds.
Aren't those positive terms ? I can see how "Red men" or "Indians" might be
insulting , but not the others . Many of our towns on Long Island are Native
American names ; do Setauket , Manhasset , Wantagh and all need to change their
names as well ?
Not only towns/villages/hamlets; the names of our school districts are frequently connected to Native Americans.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:04 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,709,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That isn’t related to the school’s nickname.

I also think some people are underestimating the input of Native Americans on this ruling, as you have this exception due to where the school is located…Seneca Nation gives approval for Salamanca to keep ‘Warriors’ mascot: https://www.binghamtonhomepage.com/n...rs-mascot/amp/
Exception that all requests for appeals and approval from Native American tribe boards were due at the time of the approval..... so in essence they stacked the deck....

Old 05-22-2023, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yep. ALL schools with Native American names have to change. Thunderbirds included. Wyndanch got a possible exception from the tribe but the lunatics on the state board said they missed the deadline.

That district upstate appealed the ruling that started this whole thing and a few LI districts may try to fight it but in the end knowing the judges in this state it’s a losing battle
Yes, the deadline was 1 millisecond after the Board of Regents approved it....

Old 05-22-2023, 01:59 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Yes, the deadline was 1 millisecond after the Board of Regents approved it....
Yep completely ridiculous

Old 05-22-2023, 03:16 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...me-mascot-ban/

What schools on Long Island have to change their mascot?
There are more than a dozen Long Island schools likely to be affected: the Manhasset, Brentwood and Sewanhaka Indians; the Comsewogue, Wyandanch, Amityville and Wantagh Warriors; East Islip Redmen; Massapequa Chiefs; Syosset Braves; and the Sachem East and Sachem North Flaming Arrows.

Maybe just maybe they should worry about teaching instead of name changes.
Board of Regents is a joke and should be abolished. Entire cast of eejits down through years have been nothing but political appointments where a governor needs to stash someone (or their spouse) as a reward.

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/20...f_regents.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/02/22/o...f-regents.html

Old 05-22-2023, 04:43 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
I don't get why this is such a big deal. Can someone explain?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-22-2023, 04:45 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
What happens if either staff or students of driving age with vehicles want to park the following vehicles in the staff or student parking lot?....

Jeep Grand Cherokee
Pontiac Super Chief
Dodge Dakota
Toyota Tacoma
Volkswagen Taos
Mazda Navajo
Ford Thunderbird
I wonder how many members of the Cherokee Nation own or lease Jeep Grand Cherokees, now that would be cool to know

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-22-2023, 05:08 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Ch, this is your opinion, and you are entitled to yours, and me to mine. Do you see me responding to any of your quite numerous and voluminous posts claiming they are completely O.T.?

I don't know, maybe my point takes "abstract thought", or stepping outside the strict parameters of "black and white" thinking. I'll try again... You would have a potential situation with these types of vehicles being parked on SCHOOL PROPERTY paid for and funded by John and Jane Q. Taxpayer. Said property just banned an indigenous school mascot.
I’m not arguing that you have an opinion. All I’m saying is that it is separate from the Board of Regents ruling, as they don’t have anything to do with what people drive to school. It isn’t the schools themselves that banned the names. In fact, many were looking for a similar situation as Salamanca, where they went to the Seneca Nation or other native groups to see how to bring honor to the nicknames.

What makes Salamanca different is that it has the second highest percentage of Native students only behind Salmon River in the state at about 39%, it is situated on Seneca land, in turn meaning that they have jurisdiction within the district and has a high percentage of staff from the Seneca Nation/that are Native American. So, it is different from most other districts in the state. With that said, I am surprised that there weren’t any changes to the logo.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't get why this is such a big deal. Can someone explain?
because everything on LI is named after Native American things.... from the towns, to the roads, to the school teams.... No one cared for 100s of years, why start now?

A WARRIOR, BRAVE is not upsetting to anyone......... Redmen, Indian ok maybe...
But in Sachem;s case... its litterally an ARROW HEAD!

its about state govt overreach as well. local schools boards should have local control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island