Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 07:47 PM

639 posts, read 402,720 times

Advertisements

I was invited to a Bachelorette trip in the Hamptons this summer for a long weekend. I've never ever been there. I live in the Midwest. The bride grew up in NY.

The best flight I could find was to Hartford, CT on Friday, then we were advised to take a ferry to Long Island from Connecticut coastline. So a few of us girls are meeting in Connecticut and traveling together with a rental car. We were told the car can go on the ferry. We are going mid-July.

Then we are staying Saturday and Sunday night in Hampton Bays. What do I need to know? What do I bring? What do I wear? What are some places we must go to? Please tell me everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 08:59 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
The ferry is about an hour drive from the airport, getting a rental car will be a 45 min ordeal. The ferry crossing is 1hr the drive to Hampton bays is 45 min w/o traffic. That’s 3.5 hours not accounting for traffic and ferry boarding time etc. your looking at 4 hours minimum it’s just flat out easier and less stressful to fly into jfk or lga take the air train to Jamaica and take a train to the Hamptons or if possible fly to isp on Long Island. Flying to Bradley to go to the Hamptons is not a normal route. I’m about as anti train as they come at this point your route doesn’t make sense. If you really want a car and want to take a ferry then it makes sense. There are better options.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:27 PM

We understand the travel to get there. We are then driving over to Rhode Island for a few days to visit some college friends after the trip. Just looking for more advice about the area, restaurants, clothing , vibe?

I'm unfamiliar. From what I see on tv, it's a fancy place. I don't want to look out of place.

Old 05-16-2023, 06:10 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
The New London to Orient Point ferry ride is a true experience, this along with a drive down the North Fork will make your visit seem like a mini vacation. Leave time either coming or going to "meander along" and take in the sights. The ferry ride passes several historic lighthouses, Plum Island, etc.

Your a group of girls, but New London also has General Dynamics/Electric Boat Company that manufactures submarines for the Navy and there is a Naval Base there if that is of any interest. You may likely see a sub in dry dock, being built, or entering/exiting the base in the water.

Rhode Island can be more New England "preppy" so lean towards Vineyard Vines, etc. for that area. Hamptons more "trendy" so maybe the J. Crew Neighborhood for that area.

Old 05-16-2023, 06:35 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi9 View Post
We understand the travel to get there. We are then driving over to Rhode Island for a few days to visit some college friends after the trip. Just looking for more advice about the area, restaurants, clothing , vibe?

I'm unfamiliar. From what I see on tv, it's a fancy place. I don't want to look out of place.
You asked for advice. Pay very close attention here. Follow GX89's advice to a t. That is not the way to go via Ct. Take the train and if you want to go on to RI after the party rent a car when you get there. You will not have to worry about clothes etc if you go your way, as there is literally one way in and out and you will be sitting in traffic and miss out on a lot.

Please don't take offense at this, I have friends who are from Kansas. When they came to NY years ago they literally could not comprehend the traffic in NY. They could not believe that I did that to go to work every day. They were from a little outside of KC so it was not like they were from some Podunk town and not used to the "city". You have no idea, what a bad idea this is.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 05-16-2023 at 07:07 AM..

Old 05-16-2023, 06:59 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,318 times
You're getting a ton of good advice here ! I'll give some information on the beaches.

The "Hamptons" that you see on television are typically the wealthier areas - Southampton, East Hampton, Water Mill, Bridgehampton.
Although Hampton Bays is a really nice area, it's not typical of the "Hamptons" portrayed on television. If you want high end shopping and the Hamptons experience, visit the downtown villages of the towns mentioned above. Be sure to drive the area south of Route 27 to see the large estates. Meadow Lane in Southampton has a few homes going for 40-50 mil if you're in the market . Take a drive on Meadow Lane but watch your speed ! Coopers Beach (near the church) is quite well known , but I *think* is closed to non-residents in season.
Beaches out there are pretty prohibitive to non-residents especially on weekends. A few do allow entry for a $30 daily fee. Ponquogue Beach (just over the bridge in Hampton Bays) is open to non-residents all week and is quite nice. Also Tiana and HotDog beach, east of Ponquogue.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:41 AM

1,464 posts, read 757,268 times
I don’t know why people do this to others. Good luck. Between travel and the Hamptons in the summer I’d rather by anywhere else unless I was a multimillionaire it’s not worth it.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:46 PM

33 posts, read 14,650 times
I second ShouldIMoveorStayPut's advice about taking the New London ferry versus the Bridgeport ferry. The drive time from Hartford Airport to either ferry is similar- just over an hour. You'd very much enjoy the drive along the North Fork through farm/wine country. I have always preferred the quaint North Fork over the South Fork. Traffic on a summer weekend "Out East" will be awful any way you slice it, so why not take the more scenic route? The drive will be longer after you depart the ferry, but either way you're spending a large chunk of your day on the commute.

Hampton Bays is west of the Shinnecock Canal, which is sort of the unofficial start of the Hamptons. HB is less pretentious than Southampton, Bridgehampton and East Hampton. However, you should definitely check out the boutiques and walk through those towns. Southampton is more old money whereas East Hampton is newer money. I would bring your nicest clothes and don't worry about not fitting in. There will be plenty of others visiting at that time. If you have time, check out Sag Harbor which is a charming Hamptons village on the north side of the coast.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link View Post
I second ShouldIMoveorStayPut's advice about taking the New London ferry versus the Bridgeport ferry. The drive time from Hartford Airport to either ferry is similar- just over an hour. You'd very much enjoy the drive along the North Fork through farm/wine country. I have always preferred the quaint North Fork over the South Fork. Traffic on a summer weekend "Out East" will be awful any way you slice it, so why not take the more scenic route? The drive will be longer after you depart the ferry, but either way you're spending a large chunk of your day on the commute.

Hampton Bays is west of the Shinnecock Canal, which is sort of the unofficial start of the Hamptons. HB is less pretentious than Southampton, Bridgehampton and East Hampton. However, you should definitely check out the boutiques and walk through those towns. Southampton is more old money whereas East Hampton is newer money. I would bring your nicest clothes and don't worry about not fitting in. There will be plenty of others visiting at that time. If you have time, check out Sag Harbor which is a charming Hamptons village on the north side of the coast.
By nicest clothes, what do you mean? Heels, dresses, or tank tops and denim shorts?

Old 05-17-2023, 07:20 AM

33 posts, read 14,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi9 View Post
By nicest clothes, what do you mean? Heels, dresses, or tank tops and denim shorts?
I’d go with dresses over denim shorts, and definitely a nice pair of sandals or flats instead of heels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island