Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 07:30 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,779,658 times

Advertisements

The Hamptons is celebrities and the uber wealthy, don't bother trying to fit in. You're there for a bachelorette party, you're not going to lol. Hampton Bays is the least "ritzy". Wear your dressiest summer clothes and have fun. Bring a bather so you can hit the beach. Enjoy the traffic, as nuts said you have absolutely zero idea what kind of traffic you will be dealing with. Whatever you google maps is showing you can at least double it. You will be stopped dead for minutes at a time. Think "tornado is crossing the interstate" level back up. Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 08:43 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link View Post
I’d go with dresses over denim shorts, and definitely a nice pair of sandals or flats instead of heels.
Hampton Bay is not at all ritzy, I still have relatives kids that go there. Forget about what you see on TV, a bathing suit and cover up or beach casual is all you need. Think like a sun dress like you might wear to a casual party. You can go in flip flops and Denim too. Again, if you insist on traveling the way you stated I would suggest wrinkle free too because you will be in traffic the likes of which you have never seem. This is what happens when you have one way in and out.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:25 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Agree with what everyone else has said. Hampton Bays is not really the wealthy part of "the Hamptons." The tourists are the ones wearing a lot of white, especially long sleeve white shirts. At the beach, whatever you've got will be fine. It's all going to get full of sand anyway. At night, if you are going to travel east to a restaurant in another Hampton, then a nice sundress with sandals will be appropriate. Be sure to bring a light jacket or sweater. It gets cold at night, especially by the water.

Traffic will be mind blowing. Triple your expectations about how long it takes to travel very short distances. Going from the ferry landing on Long Island, you will be traveling "backwards", i.e. westward. Allow for at least one hour, maybe more depending on the time of day/or night. I'm not sure what you mean by visiting Rhode Island. Do you plan on taking the Viking ferry from Montauk to Block Island or are you going to travel through the city via I-95? Either way, allow for lots and lots of time to get where you want to be. I also agree it will be more auspicious to travel to JFK and then rent a car. Landing in CT and then traveling west is just "dumb." You can see the wineries and all the other sights as you travel eastward. The roads are one or two lanes with "speed" limits of 30 mph. But more likely it will be inch by inch as you go through the snarling traffic with other cars stopping to make a turn here and there as they stop to buy "corn." Sweet corn is a really big deal here in July. You may find that amusing.

Cooper's Beach in Southampton last year was $50 per car load for non-residents. It is not restricted to just residents. It's usually rated as one of the best beaches in the U.S. Someone else mentioned another beach in Hampton Bays that is open to the public on weekdays only and it's not as expensive. It usually gets a more modest, family oriented crowd. For the most part, the beaches on both the south shore and the north shore are not open to the public unless you get a pass from your hotel. Drive along Dune Road to see the fancy beach houses. Most of the celebs' homes cannot be seen from the road or are located on private roads with signs. Most of the celebrities show up in August. Billy Joel just put his home up for sale .

Last edited by Coney; 05-18-2023 at 07:40 PM..

Old 05-18-2023, 08:02 PM

1,464 posts, read 757,268 times
Isn’t his house on centre island? There to Hampton bays is over an hour away without any traffic.

Old 05-19-2023, 06:17 AM

The Centre Island house is up for 49 mil, but Sag Harbor is still not for sale - at least so far.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:26 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Yes, it is on Centre Island. It would be a far drive for the OP and she couldn't see much from the outside anyway. I was just mentioning it since someone else mentioned celebrities. The reason for the sale is that he is spending more time in Florida.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:34 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,603,237 times
A Friday night drive from the airports in the city out to the Hamptons will be an easy 2-3+ hour drive in itself. I don’t see any advantage to taking that route. When I was doing that regularly from Brooklyn sometimes it took over an hour just to get through Brooklyn and Queens. Same for Sunday night heading back to the city.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:09 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,146 times
Personally I would fly to either LGA, JFK or EWR and take the LIRR to the Hamptons (Jamaica station for LGA, JFK, Penn for EWR): https://new.mta.info/guides/beaches/montauk-hamptons

When you get there, make your way around with Ubers or see if there's a local rental location.

Old 05-23-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi9 View Post
What a rude comment. I came on here asking for advice because I've never been to that area ever. I don't know how to dress or how it is. I am trying to travel with the other girls, as to not be alone. So we are traveling from CT. That works for us. I wanted some advice on clothing, traffic, restaurants, sights to see.

I'm taking all the advice here and sharing it with the bridal party. So shame on you for being so rude. This forum is for people to ask for advice or to just be heard. I'm asking for advice.

Sorry if I don't update you on exactly what went on after.
Ok fine I apologize- you were given the advice you sought on clothing and traffic in particular and still decided after several people gave you alternatives that sitting in traffic worked for you. You made a choice to ignore the very advice you sought from people who know the area and that is your right. Have a great time.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:55 AM

307 posts, read 637,040 times
OP - you've asked a question about the Hamptons to a room filled with people who despise the hamptons. You'll hear negative descriptions, complaining, recommendations to go elsewhere (such as the north fork - a real tourist attraction for young Midwesterners.

Most of the people who comment have spent little to no time there, so dont take everything to heart.

My advice, listen to the folks who are providing constructive information about your original travel question.

Drive Montauk highway east and check out Southampton, East Hampton, Sag Harbor and Montauk if time permits.

There are plenty of beaches to visit, and most private beaches allow open parking after 4pm.

It can be an over the top scene, mostly with weekend renters trying their best to impress everyone. People throw money around, things are expensive, all that. But there's a lot of natural beauty, nice beaches and real mellow coastal beach town vibe that you should enjoy coming from middle america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island