Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 08:54 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times

Advertisements

As a Catholic, who had a lot of connections on LI, I can unequivocally say that Catholic Charities has done a tremendous job caring for and providing food, shelter, medical care, dental care and a host of other things not only for the disadvantaged on LI but for many pregnant, abused women, and their children. They provided care for many without regard for race, religion or creed.

While I am in agreement that the money did not just come from donations from the local churches alone, there are few charitable organizations that did not secure funding as a result of Covid. So did many, many other non charitable organizations, who did nothing in terms of taking on the above described recipients.

The local council of churches and synagogues all worked together to pitch in and do what they could. Catholic Charities assisted many during the aftermath of hurricane Sandy and there was a tremendous need for a long time back then.

So long way of answering you. YES, Catholic Charities is paying for the. Migrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 09:17 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I hope they get put in an abandoned mall. Like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIhrHBOkwew&t=13s
Lol that’s not happening. And the mall still has all the exterior businesses on the outside operating including Macy’s. It’s not totally abandoned.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:12 AM

7,924 posts, read 9,147,374 times
The connection between "charities" andvthe government for illegals.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/22/govern...-in-charities/

The Church is a business. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
The connection between "charities" andvthe government for illegals.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/22/govern...-in-charities/

The Church is a business. Nothing more, nothing less.
I see you did not answer my post. Enough said. Point.

Old 05-11-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I see you did not answer my post. Enough said. Point.
Depends upon what percentage you consider to be "paying" for. If one pays the majority of the cost, I would agree the phrase paying for should be used. However, if you are responsible for a fraction of the cost, the phrase contributing towards seems to be more accurate.

Clearly the govt is paying the major part of it. The Church pays SOME of the expenses in homes of getting fannies in the pews down the road. It is a business investment for them.

My parish brought in a homeless shelter into its abandoned convent. An agency(not Catholic charities or Church related) got paid big bucks to house them. They ran out of homeless in NY so they brought them in from down South like the North Shore Animal League searching for puppies to adopt out. The Church was the landlord who got paid rent for the convent by the agency. The school district got stuck with the bills for educating the students. Church paid nothing in property taxes despite being a landlord. Would you consider that to be a "charitable" act too??

Last edited by NSHL10; 05-11-2023 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-11-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Depends upon what percentage you consider to be "paying" for. If one pays the majority of the cost, I would agree the phrase paying for should be used. However, if you are responsible for a fraction of the cost, the phrase contributing towards seems to be more accurate.

Clearly the govt is paying the major part of it. The Church pays SOME of the expenses in homes of getting fannies in the pews down the road. It is a business investment for them.

My parish brought in a homeless shelter into its abandoned convent. An agency(not Catholic charities or Church related) got paid big bucks to house them. They ran out of homeless in NY so they brought them in from down South like the North Shore Animal League searching for puppies to adopt out. The Church was the landlord who got paid rent for the convent by the agency. The school district got stuck with the bills for educating the students. Church paid nothing in property taxes despite being a landlord. Would you consider that to be a "charitable" act too??
Sometimes the devil is in the details. Your statements are a little shy on details but bases solely upon what you stated, I would have to say, yes. I will gladly exchange the number of students that a Church/Synogogue related school educates compared to what it would add to your taxes.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Sometimes the devil is in the details. Your statements are a little shy on details but bases solely upon what you stated, I would have to say, yes. I will gladly exchange the number of students that a Church/Synogogue related school educates compared to what it would add to your taxes.
Our parish closed the school down years ago, so no savings there. Just the kids from the shelter going to public school on tax payer dime while shelter makes money and church acts as slumlord.

Still a "charitable act"?

Old 05-11-2023, 10:29 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
As a Catholic, who had a lot of connections on LI, I can unequivocally say that Catholic Charities has done a tremendous job caring for and providing food, shelter, medical care, dental care and a host of other things not only for the disadvantaged on LI but for many pregnant, abused women, and their children. They provided care for many without regard for race, religion or creed.

While I am in agreement that the money did not just come from donations from the local churches alone, there are few charitable organizations that did not secure funding as a result of Covid. So did many, many other non charitable organizations, who did nothing in terms of taking on the above described recipients.

The local council of churches and synagogues all worked together to pitch in and do what they could. Catholic Charities assisted many during the aftermath of hurricane Sandy and there was a tremendous need for a long time back then.

So long way of answering you. YES, Catholic Charities is paying for the. Migrants.
Does the Church and its constituents not realize they are hurting themselves, and other disadvantaged on LI who are legally suppose to be here, by helping out these migrants? If the constituents are aware, they ought to be making hoopla in their local parishes.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Our parish closed the school down years ago, so no savings there. Just the kids from the shelter going to public school on tax payer dime while shelter makes money and church acts as slumlord.

Still a "charitable act"?
Yes and sorry, life is not that granular. IF "years ago" they dumped all the parochial school students everyone would bear the burden because they would have needed to hire teachers and add classrooms. FWIW, no shelter makes money. But I will no longer try to convince you.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:00 AM

Lol shelters dont make money. They are literally a cash cow in NY
Maybe not in Delaware, but here they certainly are. The whole sanctuary state thing has put pressure and profit into the situation and people are taking advantage of it.

https://www.qchron.com/editions/cent...cc9e106d8.html
Old article but the profits are even higher now

Now hotels are getting $700 a night for refugees and homeless. No money in it huh?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-housed.html

Last edited by NSHL10; 05-12-2023 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island