Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 06:19 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
OMG...

I was afraid the Architect and Interior designer may have escaped the bounds of Dix Hills and done work in other areas....

Well if you ever become nostalgic for that style (not that you would), it turns out Gx89 was right. 950K only gets you one of the original Dix Hills "Beauties", complete with the big wooden shag shingles, roman columns, etc..

Can't totally replicate your childhood home, but check out this listing on Realtor.com and peruse the photo's. Note the dated dark wood cabinets, lime green cooktop exhaust fan and cheap "scalloped" dark stained faux wood beams in the kitchen/dining room, the gold linoleum in the foyer, and the furniture and mirrors in the living room.

No portrait of Elvis on black velvet above the fireplace though, seller might include it but I think it's extra...

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M32660-77643
I honestly don't think this is all that bad. I am not all that familiar with DH so location wise could be an issue but looking at the house, paint could go along way there. Yes, certainly there are updates to do of sure, but what house doesn't need them. I have seen a lot worse in my past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 07:08 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
OMG...

I was afraid the Architect and Interior designer may have escaped the bounds of Dix Hills and done work in other areas....

Well if you ever become nostalgic for that style (not that you would), it turns out Gx89 was right. 950K only gets you one of the original Dix Hills "Beauties", complete with the big wooden shag shingles, roman columns, etc..

Can't totally replicate your childhood home, but check out this listing on Realtor.com and peruse the photo's. Note the dated dark wood cabinets, lime green cooktop exhaust fan and cheap "scalloped" dark stained faux wood beams in the kitchen/dining room, the gold linoleum in the foyer, and the furniture and mirrors in the living room.

No portrait of Elvis on black velvet above the fireplace though, seller might include it but I think it's extra...

Gross yep, one of the ugly dix hills classics lol

Old 05-07-2023, 11:23 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I honestly don't think this is all that bad. I am not all that familiar with DH so location wise could be an issue but looking at the house, paint could go along way there. Yes, certainly there are updates to do of sure, but what house doesn't need them. I have seen a lot worse in my past.
I agree. Where else are you going to get under $1M on an 0.82 acre lot?
Massive renovations/updates are necessary but you are getting access to a top-tier school district.
The block looks lovely as well (plenty of mature trees) and it seems many neighbors have updated their homes.

Old 05-08-2023, 05:07 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I agree. Where else are you going to get under $1M on an 0.82 acre lot?
Massive renovations/updates are necessary but you are getting access to a top-tier school district.
The block looks lovely as well (plenty of mature trees) and it seems many neighbors have updated their homes.
True to a degree! First off, be sitting down when you hear the property taxes, homeowner's insurance quotes, and what the landscapers want to maintain the property on a home and lot that size. And remember, you have to heat and air condition these large homes.

Secondly, with a home as dated as this, one could easily spend another 500K to bring it up to speed of the new/newer construction and updated homes around it. What would it cost just to renovate/upgrade the kitchen, let alone the rest of the home. Then you would be up to around 1.4 to 1.5M, and would likely get reassessed with all that work and improvements. Now you want to be LYING down when you get the new tax bill.

On a good note, although I don't recall construction quality being all that stellar when these homes were built, as quality of materials has seemingly gotten worse and worse along with increasing prices, these homes may actually stack up well construction material wise over what is used today.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:08 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
True to a degree! First off, be sitting down when you hear the property taxes, homeowner's insurance quotes, and what the landscapers want to maintain the property on a home and lot that size. And remember, you have to heat and air condition these large homes.

Secondly, with a home as dated as this, one could easily spend another 500K to bring it up to speed of the new/newer construction and updated homes around it. What would it cost just to renovate/upgrade the kitchen, let alone the rest of the home. Then you would be up to around 1.4 to 1.5M, and would likely get reassessed with all that work and improvements. Now you want to be LYING down when you get the new tax bill.

On a good note, although I don't recall construction quality being all that stellar when these homes were built, as quality of materials has seemingly gotten worse and worse along with increasing prices, these homes may actually stack up well construction material wise over what is used today.
The taxes are 17.6k not atrocious for LI standards considering the size of home and lot. That house could be redone for 200-250k, that’s including new windows siding new boiler, AC units etc. Not even close to 500k. Suffolk isn’t like Nassau and Huntington doesn’t reassess for renovations or sale price. As long as this home doesn’t add sq footage, bathroom etc the taxes will stay the same. It’s being assessed at 898k, if it sells for ask they can get the taxes slightly reduced.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
The taxes are 17.6k not atrocious for LI standards considering the size of home and lot. That house could be redone for 200-250k, that’s including new windows siding new boiler, AC units etc. Not even close to 500k. Suffolk isn’t like Nassau and Huntington doesn’t reassess for renovations or sale price. As long as this home doesn’t add sq footage, bathroom etc the taxes will stay the same. It’s being assessed at 898k, if it sells for ask they can get the taxes slightly reduced.
I'll take another look through the photo's. This is actually the smaller of the "golden oldies'' I found on sites (they get bigger than this) so reno may be less. That said, I know people that dropped 100K on a total kitchen reno alone (yes, very high end appliances, countertops, etc.). That's ALOT of siding, what material and grade did you have in mind? The bathrooms? Living Room? The wrought iron bannister? The carpeting? drapes/window treatments? Garage Doors? New Roof Shingles? Etc..? Etc...? What fit/finish/quality? Replacement windows or rip down to rough frame full window installment? I'm sure there's much I am forgetting.

200-250K?

BTW, I have friends that got reassessed for installing new driveways...

Old 05-08-2023, 09:25 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
I'll take another look through the photo's. This is actually the smaller of the "golden oldies'' I found on sites (they get bigger than this) so reno may be less. That said, I know people that dropped 100K on a total kitchen reno alone (yes, very high end appliances, countertops, etc.). That's ALOT of siding, what material and grade did you have in mind? The bathrooms? Living Room? The wrought iron bannister? The carpeting? drapes/window treatments? Garage Doors? New Roof Shingles? Etc..? Etc...? What fit/finish/quality? Replacement windows or rip down to rough frame full window installment? I'm sure there's much I am forgetting.

200-250K?

BTW, I have friends that got reassessed for installing new driveways...
Flooring is 45k, Windows and vinyl siding w/ a stone front 35k, kitchen 65k, bathrooms 70k, garage doors 6k, Bannister 5k, 20k hvac 20k, paint 20k, 25k electric, insulation and misc overruns. listing says newer roof.
That's 311k, these prices are also stupid, That kitchen isn't huge semi custom cabinets would shave $$, the bathrooms are all rip out and replace. The HVAC may not even need to be replaced rite away. The bedrooms have wood and carpet, you could refinish the wood and save a fortune on flooring costs. It's all up to the buyer.

If you got reassessed in Huntington for a driveway you made it bigger or added a stone apron, both woulndt add more than $50 a year in taxes.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Flooring is 45k, Windows and vinyl siding w/ a stone front 35k, kitchen 65k, bathrooms 70k, garage doors 6k, Bannister 5k, 20k hvac 20k, paint 20k, 25k electric, insulation and misc overruns. listing says newer roof.
That's 311k, these prices are also stupid, That kitchen isn't huge semi custom cabinets would shave $$, the bathrooms are all rip out and replace. The HVAC may not even need to be replaced rite away. The bedrooms have wood and carpet, you could refinish the wood and save a fortune on flooring costs. It's all up to the buyer.

If you got reassessed in Huntington for a driveway you made it bigger or added a stone apron, both woulndt add more than $50 a year in taxes.
Well you're already up to 311K

Just looking at the cooktop hood alone, it's a 36" unvented cabinet undermount model. Now... for a 36" range top or cooktop you need to go a few inches bigger on the hood and make sure you have enough CFM draw and capture area, and IMO you should have a minimum 1,000 CFM draw in case you get into wok cooking, etc. Let's go "middle of the road" on the hood (not cheap, not super high end), say the XO "XOT48KSE" which is $1,499.00 after rebates (what's that with sales tax?)

Now, consider the venting and duct work with materials, cutting a hole in the side of the house (or roof if wall ducting places it too close to a window, etc.) weather sealing the hole, the carpentry and labor, a "home run" dedicated circuit run from the panel box for the hood with it's own breaker (assuming the panel has room and doesn't need upgrade or expansion).

What do you thing we're looking at for just the hood and install alone?

Is the home "smart" wired for security cameras, ring doorbell, wireless routing and interfaces, motion sensor lights, check the cat's water bowl on vacation in the Canadian Rockies from your phone?

No sense beating the subject to death. I propose we may be looking at two levels of finish grade and extent of work (your idea and mine) and that "prices may vary".

Old 05-11-2023, 05:14 PM

544 posts, read 938,912 times
Quote:
OMG...

I'm dying! My parents had those awful faux beams, avocado appliances and wrought iron handrails. This house is a time capsule...and sale pending!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island