Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2023, 07:32 AM

194 posts, read 168,077 times

Advertisements

I live in North Massapequa (Town of Oyster Bay) and have plans of putting a full dormer on my cape style house. The footprint of the entire house, including the garage, is 26 x 50 which is approximately the size of the dormer. My two questions are, what is a ballpark figure I should expect something like this to cost? I’ve looked it up but the numbers are all over the place and change depending on timing as well. I’m told the price of lumber went up, then came back down so numbers are all over the place.
Second question is, the “forecast” of the cost of this stuff is projected to come down in the future. Do prices for this type of work typically go down, or do they just not increase at the same pace?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 12:14 PM

78 posts, read 66,678 times
Depending on the finish level you can expect quotes between 150k and 200k.
I had quotes for a half dormer at the beginning of the pandemic before wood went insane and they ranged from 80k to 125k depending on the finish level.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:18 PM

That's actually less than I was anticipating. That would be about ~$150 per square foot. Finish level would be ready for paint, I'm assuming.

Old 03-11-2023, 03:06 PM

122 posts, read 235,305 times
Attic converted to living space?
You must be R1-7.
Your lot size must be at least 7,000 SF or so. You should be okay with F.A.R.
Though at 7,000sf and having a 26x50, your max FAR is 3200 SF.
Right now you are at 1300 SF without counting decks but you should be okay.
Depending if you're using lvls for larger spans, you'll need a new roof, you'll need reinforcement down to the foundation. You're looking at 250 grand which should include demo permit, building permits, plumbing permits, electrical underwriter, etc.
You will be adding a lot of weight under that floor. If you have 2x10 fj, you might have to double them by new bathrooms you'll be adding.
If you have 2x8's, you will be doubling them and space them at 12" o.c.

Why don't you plan for a 2nd floor? Get a zoning analysis done and how much FAR left you have. 300K to add a 2nd floor and relocate the stairs would be better.

Old 03-11-2023, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontesi View Post
Attic converted to living space?
You must be R1-7.
Your lot size must be at least 7,000 SF or so. You should be okay with F.A.R.
Though at 7,000sf and having a 26x50, your max FAR is 3200 SF.
Right now you are at 1300 SF without counting decks but you should be okay.
Depending if you're using lvls for larger spans, you'll need a new roof, you'll need reinforcement down to the foundation. You're looking at 250 grand which should include demo permit, building permits, plumbing permits, electrical underwriter, etc.
You will be adding a lot of weight under that floor. If you have 2x10 fj, you might have to double them by new bathrooms you'll be adding.
If you have 2x8's, you will be doubling them and space them at 12" o.c.

Why don't you plan for a 2nd floor? Get a zoning analysis done and how much FAR left you have. 300K to add a 2nd floor and relocate the stairs would be better.
Yup that’s what I was told. It is R1-7, 7,000 sq ft lot. I’m told lot coverage is limited to 25% and square footage is limited to 3200 square like you said. I’m at 1383 right now because they’re counting a patio. If need be, I’ll rip that out and have the survey done again.

There will be a new roof for sure. Lvls for the spans. 250K is around what I was expecting to hear. I’m having some small work done in my garage right now and that contractor told me it would likely be in the low 3s to do that. I showed him a floor plan I drew up with AutoCAD which is what he was going by. I’m trying to achieve 12 foot ceilings in a section of the 2nd floor over the garage and part of the house. I’m sure that adds to

Old 03-11-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Yup that’s what I was told. It is R1-7, 7,000 sq ft lot. I’m told lot coverage is limited to 25% and square footage is limited to 3200 square like you said. I’m at 1383 right now because they’re counting a patio. If need be, I’ll rip that out and have the survey done again.

There will be a new roof for sure. Lvls for the spans. 250K is around what I was expecting to hear. I’m having some small work done in my garage right now and that contractor told me it would likely be in the low 3s to do that. I showed him a floor plan I drew up with AutoCAD which is what he was going by. I’m trying to achieve 12 foot ceilings in a section of the 2nd floor over the garage and part of the house. I’m sure that adds to
For F.A.R. you need to do the calculations as follows to get your real Floor Area allowed:
Allowed = 3200 SF + ((your lot size - 7000) x .15)

To get your lot size, go to my nassau property, input your home address and look for property description. They should have your lot size. While it won't be much, it should offset the patio area.

It's 1.5x the SF for ceiling heights over 10ft. Assuming your garage is 12x20(typical), floor area for that space w/ceiling at 12ft = only the area that has a 10ft or more, you multiply it by 1.5.
I'm assuming that will be the master bedroom with a master bath and you want a tray ceiling for it.

I'd insulate the rafters with spray foam and add a thermal barrier. While your architect might do R49, code allows R-38.
Might want to add the air handler in the attic with a new pull down attic access.

Old 03-11-2023, 04:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
Just blows my mind that it’s $300k just to add onto an existing home out here. And you’re not even talking new foundations, footings, etc. Crazy!

Old 03-12-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontesi View Post
For F.A.R. you need to do the calculations as follows to get your real Floor Area allowed:
Allowed = 3200 SF + ((your lot size - 7000) x .15)

To get your lot size, go to my nassau property, input your home address and look for property description. They should have your lot size. While it won't be much, it should offset the patio area.

It's 1.5x the SF for ceiling heights over 10ft. Assuming your garage is 12x20(typical), floor area for that space w/ceiling at 12ft = only the area that has a 10ft or more, you multiply it by 1.5.
I'm assuming that will be the master bedroom with a master bath and you want a tray ceiling for it.

I'd insulate the rafters with spray foam and add a thermal barrier. While your architect might do R49, code allows R-38.
Might want to add the air handler in the attic with a new pull down attic access.
That's interesting, I didn't know area's with ceiling heights over 10 ft account for 1.5 times square footage. One a section of the dormer I want 12' ceilings in, the rest can be 9-10'

Old 03-12-2023, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Just blows my mind that it’s $300k just to add onto an existing home out here. And you’re not even talking new foundations, footings, etc. Crazy!
I know, I thought it was around 300-350 to have a house built once the land is bought.

Old 03-12-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
The cost to build a house in NY in the 1960s was 50 grand which did not include mechanical systems.
50 grand adjusted for inflation is 500 grand.
Include a mechanical system for 100 grand and a deck for 20 grand, that comes out to 620 grand. That's the typical cost of construction for a small single-family house in NY.

Back then, land valuation was minimal. Now, you are buying land at higher prices because of land valuation.

This is how crazy valuation has been in the covid-era.
I have a client who purchased her house with an ocean view at $90 grand in the 1950s.
The valuation was 18 million dollars in 2022 and the house needs to be demolished for any future upgrades.

I have another client who purchased her home in 2018 for 300 grand.
Valuation of the property(going rate for selling homes) in her neighborhood is 500 grand(used to be 650grand just a year ago).
With demand going down, prices are coming down as well.

I have another client who bought a house that needs to be demolished for 600 grand. She is spending 1 million to do interior renovation(includes reframing) for a house that is 5400 sf counting all floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: