Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:17 PM

146 posts, read 840,358 times

Advertisements

Let me start by stating that I fully understand that Garden City Park is NOT Garden City. Aside from close proximity, they pretty much have nothing in common.

However, I'm trying to better understand the neighborhood when compared with other areas that are close by: New Hyde Park, Mineola, Albertson and so on.

There are quite a few decent houses in the mid-400's - but I'm having trouble "reading" the neighborhood. Is it regarded as 'good,' 'bad,' 'foreign,' 'in transition,' etc.? Trying to account for the fact that it's a touch cheaper than other local places...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 12:43 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Garden City Park

For those who may not be familiar with Garden City Park:

Garden City Park is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southwest part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County, along the North Hempstead/Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Garden City Park in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Herricks; on the east by the Village of Mineola; on the south by the Village of Garden City, Town of Hempstead (the North Hempstead/Hempstead town line); and, on the west by the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/Garden-city-park-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Garden City Park is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places within the Hamlet of Garden City Park have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
I have found it to be a very stable middle class area. I'm not sure about the schools or which school district.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I have found it to be a very stable middle class area. I'm not sure about the schools or which school district.

Depending where in the Hamlet of Garden City Park, it's in the Herricks Union Free School District, the Mineola Union Free School District and the New Hyde Park-Garden City Park Central High School District.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:50 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
It depends upon which area you are looking at. South of Jericho Tpke: GCP near Mineola high school is primarily black middle class (east of Nassau Blvd); west of Nassau Blvd is more white, except for right around the junk yards on Denton Ave.

For years, even when it was primarily white, GCP was thought to be a step down compared to New Hyde Park. Maybe because of the junkyards and other commercial/industrial areas but I'm not sure.

All in all, its an okay area. Not as well regarded as the towns you mentioned, but I wouldn't be afraid to buy there if you really searched the immediate vicinity of the home.
I like the older houses south of Jericho and west of Nassau Blvd. You can walk to the LIRR station. Just beware that no parking signs abound there to keep people from parking on the street instead of the small LIRR lot.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,341 times
Smile Garden City Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by purelygeneric View Post
Let me start by stating that I fully understand that Garden City Park is NOT Garden City. Aside from close proximity, they pretty much have nothing in common.

However, I'm trying to better understand the neighborhood when compared with other areas that are close by: New Hyde Park, Mineola, Albertson and so on.

There are quite a few decent houses in the mid-400's - but I'm having trouble "reading" the neighborhood. Is it regarded as 'good,' 'bad,' 'foreign,' 'in transition,' etc.? Trying to account for the fact that it's a touch cheaper than other local places...

Thanks!
Greetings I grew up in Garden City Park, and I can tell you yes it is totally different from Garden City, Mineola or Albertson because Garden City Park is build up of 99% black families. That is why it's a touch cheaper than other local places you mentioned. The Parents in most cases have decent jobs and have decent salaries so why else is it the property value cheaper???? Right under what used to be the Herricks Road under pass is two blocks down from where Telly Savales ( Kojack) lived. Then not to far from there is where Susan Lucci Lives(Erica Cane) I never understood that for the life of me. Only that the first owners of that land probably either sold or gave it a black family and just was were they seemed to buld and grow. Cause if you notice The heart of Garden City Park is a four block radius Jerhico Turn Pike, Broadway, Herricks, And I even go as far as Denton Ave. Do you see my point? Thank you

Old 12-16-2009, 02:45 PM

292 posts, read 820,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grew Up GCP View Post
Right under what used to be the Herricks Road under pass is two blocks down from where Telly Savales ( Kojack) lived. Then not to far from there is where Susan Lucci Lives(Erica Cane)
Ummm, no she doesn't. She lives in a 10,000 square foot house overlooking the golf course of the Men's Club. Maybe miles away, but it's world's apart.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 PM

54 posts, read 105,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purelygeneric View Post

Thanks!
As a non-resident but frequent commuter/ shopper in GCP my "perception" is:
- very small geographic area
- tidy neighborhoods with small single family houses on small plots
- strip malls, strip malls, strip malls
- heavy commuter traffic on Jericho & Hillside and Denton & Nassau during rush hour
- easy access to Manhattan and airports by LIRR and car (w/in 10 - 15 minutes of the LIE, NSP, Meadowbrook & Cross Island)
- growing South Asian demographic
- Denton Ave. and the Herricks Rd. south of Jericho are industrial areas

I don't think that it is considered to be a bad/dangerous area at all.

Old 08-31-2023, 08:38 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
It depends upon which area you are looking at. South of Jericho Tpke: GCP near Mineola high school is primarily black middle class (east of Nassau Blvd); west of Nassau Blvd is more white, except for right around the junk yards on Denton Ave.

For years, even when it was primarily white, GCP was thought to be a step down compared to New Hyde Park. Maybe because of the junkyards and other commercial/industrial areas but I'm not sure.

All in all, its an okay area. Not as well regarded as the towns you mentioned, but I wouldn't be afraid to buy there if you really searched the immediate vicinity of the home.
I like the older houses south of Jericho and west of Nassau Blvd. You can walk to the LIRR station. Just beware that no parking signs abound there to keep people from parking on the street instead of the small LIRR lot.
Is the boldest section still the case? I ask because of this data of a block group in the community from 2010: Census Block Group 303201-3 in Nassau County, New York

Just to give context as to why I even pulled this up is because this 1985 HS Football game between Cold Spring Harbor/Mineola popped up while watching something on YouTube and I noticed that Mineola, the school district that block group is in, had a couple of black players in the team:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MHHe2diCCSU&feature=shared

Old 09-01-2023, 01:26 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
i worked in gcp for 25 years .

it’s okay but not my first choice in areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island