Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 09:52 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
They were wanted by their communities so there is no.issue there. We are talking about the state getting involved in forcing communities to have to take these buildings. Big difference.
I get that argument to a point, though the NIMBY mindset in general is why this has come about There is a major lack of housing options, especially as it relates to many twenty and thirty somethings on Long Island. This is not an end all be all and not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but does address it to a point, which is something that really hasn't been done in decades and is certainly better than basement apartment after basement apartment.
My bigger issue with how this is being discussed is the giant leap that having expanded options for development in and around transit locations is going to result in projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 09:55 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I get that argument to a point, though the NIMBY mindset in general is why this has come about There is a major lack of housing options, especially as it relates to many twenty and thirty somethings on Long Island. This is not an end all be all and not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but does address it to a point, which is something that really hasn't been done in decades and is certainly better than basement apartment after basement apartment.
My bigger issue with how this is being discussed is the giant leap that having expanded options for development in and around transit locations is going to result in projects.
Re read the OP link. The mandatory changing of building code with a half mile of train stations is only 1 part of the plan. They will still be able to force localities to accept these buildings anywhere the state feels they are warranted.

Let's see the corruption between builders and Governor now when they can bribe their way into getting anything built anywhere.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:02 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
You do realize it is a massive difference between multifamily housing with some units set aside for affordable housing and housing projects correct?
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure there is a state law with few exceptions that any multi family housing unit built luxury or not has to allot a certain % of the units for low income or section 8 housing. So you have 85% of tenants paying 2500+ a month and they rest pay like 6-800 a month.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:07 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
I'd have my house up for sale if I lived within a mile of a train station. Get out now, while you can!!!

Old 01-12-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Re read the OP link. The mandatory changing of building code with a half mile of train stations is only 1 part of the plan. They will still be able to force localities to accept these buildings anywhere the state feels they are warranted.

Let's see the corruption between builders and Governor now when they can bribe their way into getting anything built anywhere.
It also states that how the changes are implemented are ultimately up to the municipalities provided they are making a good faith effort. Again, I'm not stating this is perfect, but the blanket assessment that this will lead to projects or be some mass development is just false.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:19 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I'd have my house up for sale if I lived within a mile of a train station. Get out now, while you can!!!

Could this be the mess they are making over at the Ronkonkoma station? They're building huge buildings over there.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:19 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Quote:
It also states that how the changes are implemented are ultimately up to the municipalities provided they are making a good faith effort. Again, I'm not stating this is perfect, but the blanket assessment that this will lead to projects or be some mass development is just false.
Define good faith effort lol. Lots of leeway in that. Let's see the exact wording of it in the bill.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Define good faith effort lol. Lots of leeway in that. Let's see the exact wording of it in the bill.
Lol yep. I can only imagine the “activists” that would be appointed to this state housing board too.

Regardless no way is this going to pass in its proposed form. Maybe a watered down version but not this.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure there is a state law with few exceptions that any multi family housing unit built luxury or not has to allot a certain % of the units for low income or section 8 housing. So you have 85% of tenants paying 2500+ a month and they rest pay like 6-800 a month.
Not exactly. I haven't seen much of anything showing that the others are paying 1/3 of the market rate or something like that. With that said, having a certain % to be set aside for affordable housing isn't an across the board requirement, it can however be a requirement if the builder accepts certain tax credits.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Not exactly. I haven't seen much of anything showing that the others are paying 1/3 of the market rate or something like that. With that said, having a certain % to be set aside for affordable housing isn't an across the board requirement, it can however be a requirement if the builder accepts certain tax credits.
Ahhh ok it’s the condition of the tax credits gotcha. Thank you.

I know there are plenty of complexes that have this though. You usually have to win a low income housing "lottery" to get a set aside rent controlled unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island