Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,119 times

Advertisements

Long Island is not what it used to be. The days of WW2 vets with their families, kids, grandkids are gone. The immigration from other countries has been so fast and the best school districts, Manhasset, GN are no longer what they once were. Do your research or you will be a minority unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 06:14 PM

7 posts, read 4,585 times
Great Neck is right next door

Old 03-30-2024, 02:03 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
where in Cleveland? My brother lives in Chagrin falls.
Shaker Heights. How does he like Chagrin Falls? I think it's very pretty. Have you been out to visit?

Old 03-30-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota500 View Post
I did not pursue it, but as a Jew I was steered away from certain areas when I looked for a house. I looked up the surnames of the people who lived in those areas and only one person was Jewish.They are definitely keeping Jews out of some places in Manhasset.

Do you mean relators steered you away? What communities did you avoid? Just curious.

My husband is Jewish, and we bought our first house in the Three Village School district. We raised our children there, with the exception of the last two and three years of HS.

We also did not want a completely Jewish area. We wanted diversity. My husband is not observant and our kids weren't raised Jewish.

Actually, we found real diversity in Ohio. There never were things like restricted country clubs in the mid-west, and we belong to one here. Joining a Country Club is something we would never do on Long Island.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:45 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Shaker Heights. How does he like Chagrin Falls? I think it's very pretty. Have you been out to visit?
He loves it. I have not been and he's been there 4 years. He has a 4200 square foot home
I am hoping to visit him with my mom soon.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
He loves it. I have not been and he's been there 4 years. He has a 4200 square foot home
I am hoping to visit him with my mom soon.
The homes there are beautiful! If you do visit, let me know when you are in town!

Our house would easily be 7 to 8 hundred thousand on Long Island. We love it here.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksuit View Post
It's not that "they" are "keeping Jews out of some places," it's that Jews decide that they'll generally be more comfortable moving to other, very similar (in many respects) places like Roslyn, Port Washington, Great Neck, Syosset, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and I'm tired of everyone pretending that there is. People need to be honest about these things.

You probably wouldn't be very comfortable in Manhasset, either. It's culturally very similar to Garden City, but with a bit more money and (these days) a few more Asians.
So much of Long Island, especially Nassau, is disproportionately Asian.

When I attended my nieces' Syosset HS graduation, I was shocked that ALL of the honors students were Asian - they had crazy high averages, like "4.8".
Not one was Caucasian. Christian or Jewish. They all were Asian, Including Chinese, Korean and Indian. My niece's boyfriend was Indian, and his parents made it very clear that they were unhappy with my niece as their son's girlfriend. They were actually quite cruel. They did not like blonde hair or blue eyes and they thought my niece was too thin and should gain weight and have a breast augmentation.

That is not diversity to me. It's more like a takeover. I would not want my kids in such a highly competitive environment with such bigoted people.

If Manhasset is anything like that, you are right, I would not be comfortable there. When newcomers are unfriendly and judgmental and look down upon the local people, the neighborhood is not diverse.

I am glad I left. My new neighborhood is stable and diverse. I am not sure that anything like that ever existed on the Island.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 1,480 times
Manhasset has a small Jewish population, especially in comparison to other towns on Long Island. Historically Manhasset has been one of the “waspy” upscale towns on LI, alongside the likes of Garden City, Rockville Centre, and Cold Spring Harbor. (Keep in mind on LI waspy tends to include Irish Catholics, who are a strong force in Manhasset.)

And as other posters have already mentioned, Manhasset is experiencing a huge number of Asian people moving into the town because of the highly ranked school district. It’s about 25% right now I think, but within a decade you can reasonably expect it to be 40-50%. Similar trends have already been seen in places other towns with excellent school districts like Jericho (~70% Asian, formerly mostly Jewish), Syosset (~50% Asian, formerly a mix of Jewish and Italian), and Great Neck (~70% Asian, formerly almost all Jewish).

That being said this is Long Island we’re talking about, there is still a huge Jewish population. If you like Manhasset I would suggest checking out Port Washington just to the north. It has a large and vibrant Jewish community, beautiful homes, a nice downtown, and an easy commute to the city. The area of Great Neck zoned for Great Neck North HS is also extremely Jewish, but keep in mind this community skews Iranian-Jewish and increasingly Orthodox, so it’s of a more conservative character than most other Jewish communities on LI. I would also suggest checking out Roslyn, just to the east of Manhasset, which has a large Jewish community, excellent schools, charming homes and a good commute.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirituallyames7813 View Post
Manhasset has a small Jewish population, especially in comparison to other towns on Long Island. Historically Manhasset has been one of the “waspy” upscale towns on LI, alongside the likes of Garden City, Rockville Centre, and Cold Spring Harbor. (Keep in mind on LI waspy tends to include Irish Catholics, who are a strong force in Manhasset.)

And as other posters have already mentioned, Manhasset is experiencing a huge number of Asian people moving into the town because of the highly ranked school district. It’s about 25% right now I think, but within a decade you can reasonably expect it to be 40-50%. Similar trends have already been seen in places other towns with excellent school districts like Jericho (~70% Asian, formerly mostly Jewish), Syosset (~50% Asian, formerly a mix of Jewish and Italian), and Great Neck (~70% Asian, formerly almost all Jewish).

That being said this is Long Island we’re talking about, there is still a huge Jewish population. If you like Manhasset I would suggest checking out Port Washington just to the north. It has a large and vibrant Jewish community, beautiful homes, a nice downtown, and an easy commute to the city. The area of Great Neck zoned for Great Neck North HS is also extremely Jewish, but keep in mind this community skews Iranian-Jewish and increasingly Orthodox, so it’s of a more conservative character than most other Jewish communities on LI. I would also suggest checking out Roslyn, just to the east of Manhasset, which has a large Jewish community, excellent schools, charming homes and a good commute.
I think those are both good choices - Roslyn and Port Washington. They are charming areas with very good schools.

Not far from Roslyn, lies the North Shore School district which encompasses several municipalities. Glen Head is one as is Old Brookville, and Sea Cliff, which is paradise for anyone who like Victorian architecture. It's a very pretty waterfront Hamet.

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/north-sh...l-district-ny/

Last edited by sheena12; 04-03-2024 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island