Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 07:07 AM

20 posts, read 23,468 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have insight about syosset/Jericho/Woodbury/old bethpage/plainview area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 07:41 AM

5 posts, read 5,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliannehughes View Post
Does anyone have insight about syosset/Jericho/Woodbury/old bethpage/plainview area?

Jericho/Syosset checks a lot of your boxes, and at your price point, you can get a decent sized house or even new construction but the property itself will likely be small. North Syosset/Woodbury has a lot of charming homes with large lots but south of the LIE, most of Jericho, and almost all of Plainview, the houses tend to be cookie-cutter splits from the 1950's on 60x100 lots. Not sure what you mean by "prestige factor." They certainly don't have old money vibes like Garden City or Manhasset. However, the Jericho/Syosset school districts purportedly rank among the best in the country, and are wrapped up with the prestige of both towns, although some would argue that they are overrated and/or unhealthy pressure cookers. Access to highways and shopping is a breeze for both, but there's no real "town" so to speak, other than a few shops close to the Syosset train station. Plainview/OBP schools are also great. If publicized rankings mean anything, they are kind of like the little sibling that tries to keep up in the rankings but are just a step or two behind. But at the end of the day, ultimately the schools are all great, it should come down to deciding which is the best fit for your kids.

Last edited by Pezman1; 12-01-2020 at 08:15 AM..

Old 12-01-2020, 08:01 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,542 times
I'm biased towads Roslyn/East Hills.
LIRR requires transfer, but everything else checks your box.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:07 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliannehughes View Post
You have a good budget. You aren’t sniffing a decent home on 1/2 acre for that price. In Plainview/OB you will have a hard time getting 1/4 acre unless it’s in the college streets. Jericho will be the same issue with lot sizes. Syosset has larger lots but most homes will be north Syosset And your budget will be tight.

I was looking for similar home but wanted minimum of 1/2 acre but really wanted 1 acre. Only option was Suffolk, cold spring harbor, melville, Dix hills.

You can’t go wrong in any of the areas you mentioned above all are nice. Really just comes down to how big of home you want and is it move in ready. If you are willing to buy with a 70x100 lot you are good to go but 110x100 and up it will be a challenge in that price range in Nassau.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:44 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Plus if you’re considering Oyster Bay you might as well also consider Cold Spring Harbor and bypass Nassau’s financial mess.
Suffolk is also in a financial mess.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...021-1.50032597

Old 12-01-2020, 10:10 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
I know you said that you wanted to be on the north shore, but what about Rockville Centre? Good schools, excellent commute, some charming older homes, and lots of restaurants, movie theater, after school places for your kids, such as dance, martial arts, etc. The latter is something that you didn't mention, but living close to those places with lots of choices, can be really helpful when your children are in elementary school and will want to participate at the same places as their classmates. Plots will be smaller than on your wish list.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:26 PM

81 posts, read 68,195 times
I live in Syosset south of the L.I.E. and the Northern State and it's great. Don't listen to what people say, if you live east of South Oyster Bay Road and North of the Plainview Shopping Centre you would be zoned for Baylis Elementary School which is one of the more desirable elementary schools in the district. Also, people in South Syosset still have somewhat decent sized backyards and you can defenitely fit a pool if that's your thing. Also South Syosset is less snobby than North Syosset/Woodbury. Plainview is nice but the lots are a little bit smaller. Old Bethpage is great too and is cheaper and you can probably get a bigger lot than any of the areas mentioned. I would just make sure you're not to close to the waste disposal complex if you choose Old Bethpage and the former cerro wire/landfill site if you choose Syosset. Really just make sure that the house has a 11791 zipcode for Syosset, 11797 for Woodbury, 11753 for Jericho (though some areas west of Cantigue Rock Road have a Westbury, NY 11590 zipcode and as long as you are east of Aintree Road and North of the Northern State Parkway you would still get Jericho schools and also there's this neighborhood called East Birchwood and the eastern section is zoned for Syosset SD but still uses the regular Jericho, NY 11753 zipcode but bothe districts are similar and great districts), 11803 for Plainview (this one area a few blocks away from Baylis Elementary school is zoned for Syosset SD so make sure you look though both school districts are similar and great districts), 11804 for Old Bethpage (if you look on a map there's this one part of Old Bethpage that uses a Farmingdale, NY 11735 zipcode so just make sure that you are within the 11804 zipcode boundaries) and yeah that's really all you need to know so good luck with your move

Old 12-07-2020, 04:28 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
People talking about desirable elementary schools really make me laugh.

Old 12-07-2020, 04:32 PM

81 posts, read 68,195 times
That's what I've heard, some people prefer some schools over others so I just included that just in case the OP would like to know

Old 12-08-2020, 06:13 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassaucounty28 View Post
That's what I've heard, some people prefer some schools over others so I just included that just in case the OP would like to know
If the OP prefers older home with charm on 1/4-1/2 acre, South Syosset is out.

As a few have pointed out, that might be possible north of the tracks in Syosset, but in that case budget will be an issue.

I thought Split Rock School was the most desirable in Syosset. LOL (I know that grand building was ripped down long ago). Should have heard the shrieks some folks made about having to then ship the kids south to Village or the architectural horror known as Berry Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island