Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 02:37 PM

43 posts, read 90,420 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

How are property tax costs determined? Is it based on the cost of the home, location and schools or are there additional factors?

I found this site and the data it provides often differs from Redfin and Zillow property taxes.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/property-taxes

Thank you.

Last edited by jerome8283; 11-27-2020 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2020, 04:35 PM

2,691 posts, read 2,347,819 times
That site is garbage. Nassau County is based off sale price. When a house is sold it will be reassessed based off the sale price about 2 years later. They now adjust yearly. If a home hasn’t been sold they estimate based off sold homes as comps. School taxes are the bulk of it and you can’t compare districts, some have a great commercial tax base others don’t and home owners eat the cost.

Suffolk is a different animal. Each township does it’s own thing. Huntington doesn’t reasses on sale. What you see is what you get. New construction they assess off sale price but usually it’s about 10% less than sale price.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:56 AM

109 posts, read 97,287 times
In Suffolk, taxes on new houses are higher than resale. Certain towns with strong commercial tax base have lower property taxes. New York state overall seems to have higher taxes, except for east end of Long Island. If trying to save taxes I would avoid the whole state if possible.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:12 AM

450 posts, read 390,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoluccm View Post
In Suffolk, taxes on new houses are higher than resale. Certain towns with strong commercial tax base have lower property taxes. New York state overall seems to have higher taxes, except for east end of Long Island. If trying to save taxes I would avoid the whole state if possible.

I looked at other states, unless OP wants to move to Kansas or Montana or some random remote place, taxes will not be much different in any good school district. Expecting to pay $1200/mo in taxes on average.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:21 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,528,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
I looked at other states, unless OP wants to move to Kansas or Montana or some random remote place, taxes will not be much different in any good school district. Expecting to pay $1200/mo in taxes on average.
Then you didn't look very hard. I've lived all over the country, and property taxes like this are not required for good school.

I'm from Georgia and my old high school is ranked higher than the vast majority of LI schools. Property are right around $2,200 a year.

I'm also not sure why everyone seems to think LI has such great schools in the first place. I think they just hear it repeated constantly and take it as gospel. In reality, there are some good districts, most aren't anything to write home about.

In fact, in the most recent nationwide rankings of schools I could find, there isn't a single LI school in the top 100. The first place you'll find LI is #164 with Jericho.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:35 AM

6,387 posts, read 13,189,795 times
^^ I’ll agree to that. What you pay in compared what comes out def does not equate. But that’s the big selling point for the high school taxes.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:42 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,796,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Then you didn't look very hard. I've lived all over the country, and property taxes like this are not required for good school.

I'm from Georgia and my old high school is ranked higher than the vast majority of LI schools. Property are right around $2,200 a year.

I'm also not sure why everyone seems to think LI has such great schools in the first place. I think they just hear it repeated constantly and take it as gospel. In reality, there are some good districts, most aren't anything to write home about.

In fact, in the most recent nationwide rankings of schools I could find, there isn't a single LI school in the top 100. The first place you'll find LI is #164 with Jericho.
this was literally the first return off a google search:

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-school-districts/

Jericho is #2 and Great Neck is #4 (districts)

Individual schools are cherry picking, regular public schools can't compete with charter schools and magnet schools in rankings individually due to the fact that those schools have requirements to apply.

In this ranking GA schools are number 34 in the nation out of 50 states, not terrible but nothing to brag about either. US news has the state similarly ranked at 31.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:59 AM

690 posts, read 588,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post

Bingo!

Old 11-30-2020, 10:16 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,835,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post

Individual schools are cherry picking, regular public schools can't compete with charter schools and magnet schools in rankings individually due to the fact that those schools have requirements to apply.

In this ranking GA schools are number 34 in the nation out of 50 states, not terrible but nothing to brag about either. US news has the state similarly ranked at 31.
I'm with Pec. Let's take Broward County. COUNTY schools. Taxes are far lower in surrounding towns (Coral Springs, Sunshine, Plantation) than in Parkland and Weston. And the schools rank proportionately based on those higher costs. As do the home prices and taxes. Why moving families who need good schools get gouged while empty nesters score deals (relatively and mostly condos). But then again, we overpay and are underserved. My HS in the 70's in broke azz recession Brooklyn had more sports, art, shop classes and activities than my current school does at close to $30k per kid. That's just highway robbery. Or maybe parkway robbery, lol.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:25 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,319,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post

You talk about cherry picking yet use statewide numbers vs. individual LI districts?

Georgia overall has a lot more variation than LI, but each county in GA has its own school district. So any ranking would group inner city schools, metro Atlanta as well as rural districts. 159 in all for 11 million people.

In my district a new STEM school is opening up in Fall 2021 that blows away any LI high school STEM program except maybe Jericho’s. And the facility would be much better than anything on LI by far. I’ve taken the tour and my son is applying. His cousins on LI are jealous.

Criteria to apply? Having an interest and sending in an application. If the number of applications exceed available slots then it will go to a lottery process.

This is the problem with LI districts being so small - no individual district could build a new 244,000 sq ft high school campus dedicated to STEM. My district has 21 high schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island