Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 10:34 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,336,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I'm with Pec. Let's take Broward County. COUNTY schools. Taxes are far lower in surrounding towns (Coral Springs, Sunshine, Plantation) than in Parkland and Weston. And the schools rank proportionately based on those higher costs. As do the home prices and taxes. Why moving families who need good schools get gouged while empty nesters score deals (relatively and mostly condos). But then again, we overpay and are underserved. My HS in the 70's in broke azz recession Brooklyn had more sports, art, shop classes and activities than my current school does at close to $30k per kid. That's just highway robbery. Or maybe parkway robbery, lol.
Parkland also has mostly larger homes and lots and is way nicer compared to coral, coconut creek etc. the taxes will be higher. Parkland is zoned for stoneman and that’s considered a Top tier school in the county. We have a stake in a property there and it always rents cause the HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 10:40 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,846,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
My HS in the 70's in broke azz recession Brooklyn had more sports, art, shop classes and activities than my current school does at close to $30k per kid. That's just highway robbery. Or maybe parkway robbery, lol.
Was thinking the same....property taxes used to be somewhat reasonable on LI and you got a lot more - my HS had the same things you mention - I see people getting less for their money, not more. And the idea that people are paying $1200/month taxes anywhere in the country is patently ridiculous.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:47 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Inclusivity comes at a cost. Thats what LIers moved there for and knowingly are paying for it. On that aspect, LI holds up the bargain pretty well, so whats the problem.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-30-2020, 11:00 AM

450 posts, read 387,762 times
Do Long Islanders post in Georgia forums or other forums this often? Every thread turns into argument.
Deal with it, not everyone can "afford" leaving New York area to live in GA and find a job, relocate whole family to lands unknowns just because "Long Island Sucks, move out already".
I have no doubt there are great school districts in other states, but claiming NY is not even to 100 is very misleading.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:13 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Parkland also has mostly larger homes and lots and is way nicer compared to coral, coconut creek etc. the taxes will be higher. Parkland is zoned for stoneman and that’s considered a Top tier school in the county. We have a stake in a property there and it always rents cause the HS.
Exactly. I had an interview and offer in Weston and have friends in Parkland. My wife had a potential opportunity in Sunshine, so we were looking (research only) in those towns. I found myself looking for houses in Coral Springs zoned for Parkland schools. I joked with my wife that this is the same song and dance as looking for a home in Hicksville zoned for Jericho schools.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:39 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,278,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
Do Long Islanders post in Georgia forums or other forums this often? Every thread turns into argument.
Deal with it, not everyone can "afford" leaving New York area to live in GA and find a job, relocate whole family to lands unknowns just because "Long Island Sucks, move out already".
I have no doubt there are great school districts in other states, but claiming NY is not even to 100 is very misleading.
On LI each district usually has 1 or 2 high schools, so in essence when you pick the house you pick the high school. This is a huge advantage in many ways. Also, aside from some districts, you are pretty much guaranteed that your child will get a good to very good education.

In a larger district, such as Fulton County in Georgia, there are 21 high schools. They vary much more in quality, so you would want to purchase a home zoned for one of the better ones, which do compare well with LI high schools. This usually works except when schools get rezoned. Rezoning is more of a possibility due to huge population growth in the area. My zoned high school was built in 2006, and another one nearby in 2012. The STEM school is opening in 2021. When was the last time a district on LI added a net new high school?

But my property taxes aren’t $1200 a year either. Just as on LI the better areas with better schools pay higher taxes, just at a much lower rate.

I don’t advocate for anyone to leave LI if they are happy, have a non-portable job tied to LI or NYC and/or are near family. Everyone’s circumstances are different.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:50 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,781,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You talk about cherry picking yet use statewide numbers vs. individual LI districts?

Georgia overall has a lot more variation than LI, but each county in GA has its own school district. So any ranking would group inner city schools, metro Atlanta as well as rural districts. 159 in all for 11 million people.

In my district a new STEM school is opening up in Fall 2021 that blows away any LI high school STEM program except maybe Jericho’s. And the facility would be much better than anything on LI by far. I’ve taken the tour and my son is applying. His cousins on LI are jealous.

Criteria to apply? Having an interest and sending in an application. If the number of applications exceed available slots then it will go to a lottery process.

This is the problem with LI districts being so small - no individual district could build a new 244,000 sq ft high school campus dedicated to STEM. My district has 21 high schools.
Hey it’s not my fault your state ranks in the lower half of the country for education

I love how some expats here flip out and get super defensive when there is any negative criticism whatsoever of their utopian shagri-la. Fine. GA is perfect. Their educational system is a model for the whole world! LI sucks. Happy?

Last edited by peconic117; 12-01-2020 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-01-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
On LI each district usually has 1 or 2 high schools, so in essence when you pick the house you pick the high school. This is a huge advantage in many ways. Also, aside from some districts, you are pretty much guaranteed that your child will get a good to very good education.

In a larger district, such as Fulton County in Georgia, there are 21 high schools. They vary much more in quality, so you would want to purchase a home zoned for one of the better ones, which do compare well with LI high schools. This usually works except when schools get rezoned. Rezoning is more of a possibility due to huge population growth in the area. My zoned high school was built in 2006, and another one nearby in 2012. The STEM school is opening in 2021. When was the last time a district on LI added a net new high school?

But my property taxes aren’t $1200 a year either. Just as on LI the better areas with better schools pay higher taxes, just at a much lower rate.

I don’t advocate for anyone to leave LI if they are happy, have a non-portable job tied to LI or NYC and/or are near family. Everyone’s circumstances are different.
This happened to me growing up in FL. Our HS was rezoned twice. Both myself, my brother and sister ended up going to different high schools because of re-zoning despite living in the same place. And today none of the schools I went to are zoned for where my parents still live.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:57 AM

690 posts, read 586,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
This happened to me growing up in FL. Our HS was rezoned twice. Both myself, my brother and sister ended up going to different high schools because of re-zoning despite living in the same place. And today none of the schools I went to are zoned for where my parents still live.
Was/is that due to the population growing significantly?

Old 12-01-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
Was/is that due to the population growing significantly?
Yes absolutely, the schools at the time didn’t even have enough room a lot of classes were in temp portable classrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island