Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 12:56 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Wether it’s worth it or not is to be debated. You can either afford it or you can’t.

But tell me where else you have nyc, beaches, wineries, safe neighborhoods, good paying jobs, boating, parks, etc at your fingertips.

Problem is, like trusso said, once you have kids you never get to do those things anyway - he likes having Montauk and the city nearby but rarely goes. When we lived on LI we were doing stuff with the kids on weekends. I've been to NYC more since I moved 10 years ago than I did in the previous 10 years living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 01:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Problem is, like trusso said, once you have kids you never get to do those things anyway - he likes having Montauk and the city nearby but rarely goes. When we lived on LI we were doing stuff with the kids on weekends. I've been to NYC more since I moved 10 years ago than I did in the previous 10 years living there.
Once we had kids, we rarely went into NYC, so being close or not didn't matter day-to-day.

Here's the thing - if you do well and aren't dependent on physical proximity to NYC, you can live in an area with lower taxes and and COL and with the savings go to the beach, the wineries, etc. anywhere, not just LI. Assuming COVID-19 doesn't rear its ugly head again my family and I will be in the Caribbean for Christmas. The full cost of that will be less than the savings by not being on LI. Heck, the trip would be paid for just in savings in 2 areas - utilities and property taxes.

This isn't to begrudge anyone for the desire to visit North Fork wineries or South Shore beaches. If you use them frequently then it's a benefit. But if the intent is there but you never use it it's like paying for a streaming service you never use - better off canceling it.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:12 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
OP I think where you work is a factor and family is family wherever they are located (for others, not me). But for all the respondents that feel Pizza & Bagels are a major reason I don't want to hear one complaint about Taxes, Jet Noise, LIRR or traffic because if that is your most important criteria you deserve what come with it....

Old 06-26-2020, 01:33 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times
Quote:
Wether it’s worth it or not is to be debated. You can either afford it or you can’t.

But tell me where else you have nyc, beaches, wineries, safe neighborhoods, good paying jobs, boating, parks, etc at your fingertips.
With the exception of NYC, you can find all of those other options in plenty of places.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:43 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
OP I think where you work is a factor and family is family wherever they are located (for others, not me). But for all the respondents that feel Pizza & Bagels are a major reason I don't want to hear one complaint about Taxes, Jet Noise, LIRR or traffic because if that is your most important criteria you deserve what come with it....
yeah that's a bit of a surprising answer. I mean the only thing I don't have nearby is beach and NYC. Beach is close enough for me. I couldn't see myself living 6-8 or more hours from the beach but 2 hours is close enough. I would think family and jobs would be the top two answers.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Sorry you don’t but I live life to the fullest! Kids or no kids.

It’s not just one single thing or another. It’s the whole package. It’s being able to shoot to Robert Moses after work for a few hours in the evening. Or heading to Bethpage park to do some fishing. Or happy hour down at a waterfront restaurant. Etc. The only thing I truly hate here is the weather. But that would be anywhere in the northeast. When I do leave it will be for warmer winters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Old 06-26-2020, 03:09 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,008 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
With the exception of NYC, you can find all of those other options in plenty of places.
I can't think of any other place that has all of that "at your fingertips". You say there are plenty. Can you name a few? Seriously curious.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:43 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
I can't think of any other place that has all of that "at your fingertips". You say there are plenty. Can you name a few? Seriously curious.
Other than (NYC) if you substitute any major city in Ca. you pretty much duplicate it. Boston has beaches within a drive. Closer still is NJ.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:53 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Proximity to NYC with more living space. You can have an extra bedroom and a patio, and no need to BBQ out on the fire escape or convert the dining room to a third bedroom.

Also, some good quality beaches, excellent and varied food selection, good schools and an airport hub.

On the flip side, lots of aging, rundown housing stock, high costs, storm vulnerability, creaky infrastructure, poor local job market, crowded and broken roads, dysfunctional local governments and difficult access to the mainland.

I think this is reasonable. What did I miss?

Old 06-26-2020, 05:18 PM

556 posts, read 622,422 times
Quote:
Sorry you don’t but I live life to the fullest! Kids or no kids.

It’s not just one single thing or another. It’s the whole package. It’s being able to shoot to Robert Moses after work for a few hours in the evening. Or heading to Bethpage park to do some fishing. Or happy hour down at a waterfront restaurant. Etc. The only thing I truly hate here is the weather. But that would be anywhere in the northeast. When I do leave it will be for warmer winters!
We moved south 5 years ago and there are some differences. But do you want to base your whole life on Pizza and Bagels? We have beaches, the intracoastal And much more. It’s amazing to not be so aggressive when driving and content to-drove the speed limit. There are such nice people here !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island