Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 07:48 AM

158 posts, read 190,090 times

Advertisements

south of Pulaski and east of Park is totally as safe as anywhere else. I know it looks close on the map, but it's a pretty long stretch going west before you get to the area of concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 08:21 AM

22,728 posts, read 36,954,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGUY2000 View Post
So I started looking on Trulia in the "college"section which is Harborfields district of Greenlawn. There are very nice houses there....but I noticed on the crime map the area nearby (the intersection of Park and Pulaski) has high density crime. The area is shaded dark blue for highest crime in the area on Trulia. Is this area safe?
College section is really nice. Agree with previous poster, the crime has never really encroached on that area. It's always stayed contained. Not a nice area to drive through but once you're through your'e done. I have several friends who live in that area and all of them could EASILY live somewhere else if they so chose. If you can afford it it would be a good choice.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:42 PM

PS the area just southeast of the college section is a very diverse area, but it is not considered unsafe at all

Old 08-02-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim3 View Post
PS the area just southeast of the college section is a very diverse area, but it is not considered unsafe at all
When you cross Park Ave, you're getting into a different school district - tread carefully over there, some of it is Huntingon SD3 and some of it is SD13.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:31 AM

72 posts, read 71,106 times
Good to know. The houses in that area we looked at all fall into Harborfields district. Drove through the "college section" to check out the area, and it is a very beautiful and well kept neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When you cross Park Ave, you're getting into a different school district - tread carefully over there, some of it is Huntingon SD3 and some of it is SD13.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:05 AM

Hi everyone. So we found a really nice house in the Harborfields district at the TOP end of our budget. We also found a nice house $100,000 less in South Huntington (Walt Whitman Schools) where the mortgage would be VERY affordable. I am kind of torn here. I feel like we will get more value long term in Harborfields according to many people we have spoken to and on the advice of the forum here. I just don't want to struggle, although we can afford it. Looking at about $800 more per month factoring in taxes as well. Is the premium worth it?

Old 08-06-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
the area just southeast of the college section (ie Little Plains area) is still Harborfields.

crossing Park ave just southWEST of the college section is Huntington SD

Old 08-06-2019, 10:09 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGUY2000 View Post
Hi everyone. So we found a really nice house in the Harborfields district at the TOP end of our budget. We also found a nice house $100,000 less in South Huntington (Walt Whitman Schools) where the mortgage would be VERY affordable. I am kind of torn here. I feel like we will get more value long term in Harborfields according to many people we have spoken to and on the advice of the forum here. I just don't want to struggle, although we can afford it. Looking at about $800 more per month factoring in taxes as well. Is the premium worth it?
You are correct that long term value is probably better in Harborfields. But, as you seem uncomfortable with the higher payment I would advise you to pass. Remember, also, that taxes only go up.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:27 AM

I am not saying this to be snarky but do you have anyone in real life you can ask? I mean you are making one of the most major life decisions based on anonymous internet people.

If you are an involved parent and pay attention for the entirety of your child's school career you will do fine in a district like South Huntington. My sister used to live there and my nephew's best friend went to an Ivy ... it's ridiculous to think that school district alone can determine one's destiny. For me, if I liked the South Huntington house and I was comfortable with the neighborhood, I would buy that house. Nothing worse than being house poor and as Tom said taxes only go up. $800 a month is a pretty big difference every month.

As far as value, the discount you get now on South Huntington will be the discount you give in "X" number of years. Same with the house in Harborfields and the premium you pay. Eventually it all becomes a wash.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Most of the friends and family I've spoken to live in Nassau and are far more familiar with those districts. Plus, the advice friends do give about South Huntington district is to avoid by all means. Which is the reason I came here, to get people that actually live there point of view. Because if you go on Niche, South Huntington has an A+ rating, and on US News they have an 86/100 rating so one would think it is actually a pretty desirable district. But from speaking with people a lot of people seem to have a very negative view of the district.

Quote:
I am not saying this to be snarky but do you have anyone in real life you can ask? I mean you are making one of the most major life decisions based on anonymous internet people.

If you are an involved parent and pay attention for the entirety of your child's school career you will do fine in a district like South Huntington. My sister used to live there and my nephew's best friend went to an Ivy ... it's ridiculous to think that school district alone can determine one's destiny. For me, if I liked the South Huntington house and I was comfortable with the neighborhood, I would buy that house. Nothing worse than being house poor and as Tom said taxes only go up. $800 a month is a pretty big difference every month.

As far as value, the discount you get now on South Huntington will be the discount you give in "X" number of years. Same with the house in Harborfields and the premium you pay. Eventually it all becomes a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island