Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 10:26 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,163,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
In south Florida, where you can use the beach 12 months/year, tons of people either don't go or rarely go to the beach. It is the short season in LI that makes it great. And the beach is really great on a sunny 60-degre October day. Can't swim in it, but it's gorgeous.
One of my favorite times of the year to go.
Summer on Long Island was always special and we always packed a lot into it each year. I can’t think of many weeks where there weren’t multiple BBQs, or trips to the beach after work. I usually was able to go to the beach from May to September (just remember to pack a sweatshirt) and then switched to just walking to the towns from Field 5. People from warmer climates just tend to go whenever they want, or when relatives are in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:22 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,918,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
In south Florida, where you can use the beach 12 months/year, tons of people either don't go or rarely go to the beach. It is the short season in LI that makes it great. And the beach is really great on a sunny 60-degre October day. Can't swim in it, but it's gorgeous.
This is true - this kind of thing happens everywhere. Look at LI'ers and going into Manhattan. Hardly ever for pleasure. Plenty on LI (and city people) will use the beaches though.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:29 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnseenuh View Post
Not really, people who tend to move to long island aren't on long island because it is nice, which it is. They move because COL is low and still close to city.

Once COL (taxes, materials, tariffs on goods) go up a lot, they start to leave. The others rent illegaly to cover the taxes and the population gets angry at those who do because it further increases the taxes on their property.

Unfortunately, LI will only be for the upper middle class. The lower middle class and lower will be forced to move and that is why they never come back. Per dollar, other places are more beautiful. Without dollar in mind, LI is one of the best in USA.
I travel extensively within the USA & out of the US and I agree, LI is really among the BEST.

Some people hate it, that's fine, but I feel very lucky to live here.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:32 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Trying to match one location to another is a losing proposition, you really need to take each place for what it is and see if you can enjoy it on its own terms. You won’t find another Long Island that’s cheaper, but you can find other great places to live that are, and some that aren’t.

I had friends from other locations who when visiting LI commented on what’s the point of a really nice beach if you can only use it for a few months of the year. And the beaches were hard to get to.
As a Long Islander I visited the beach almost all year round and never thought they were inconvenient, as I always enjoyed the drive to them. It’s mostly a matter of perspective.
People just love to find anything to whine about.

My in-laws had a similar gripe ... "why do you guys pay for the beaches here? It's free in CA …" eye roll.

I love our beaches and like you, never thought the drive nor the pay nor the parking was inconvenient. I think we have some very nice beaches. I have been to CA beaches that my in-laws "don't pay" for … and I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer Long Island beaches. (wayyyyy nicer!)

Old 08-13-2019, 09:37 AM

19,301 posts, read 17,179,191 times
/\

You can't deny NY / NJ are the only ones charging to go on the beach even to the tax paying residents such as Long Beach who have to pay for a beach pass rather than receiving one for free. Plenty of nice beach's elsewhere and no fee to get on them other than maybe parking but that's almost universal in this country...

Old 08-13-2019, 10:20 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,834,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
People just love to find anything to whine about.

My in-laws had a similar gripe ... "why do you guys pay for the beaches here? It's free in CA …" eye roll.

I love our beaches and like you, never thought the drive nor the pay nor the parking was inconvenient. I think we have some very nice beaches. I have been to CA beaches that my in-laws "don't pay" for … and I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer Long Island beaches. (wayyyyy nicer!)
Complete joke. LI beaches are the least dog friendly in the country and parking lots are full by 8am in the summer. Vast miles of empty beach and no dogs allowed. I was in Santa Barbara, also many miles of nice beach, but almost every one dog friendly. We're not even allowed dogs on the beach IN THE WINTER, which makes less than zero sense.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-13-2019, 12:56 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,061,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
LI beaches are the least dog friendly in the country...... Vast miles of empty beach and no dogs allowed.
Some of us think that is a GOOD thing.....

Please realize that not everyone is a dog lover or wants dogs running free in beach areas. Or in public parks either.

And there are some dog-friendly beaches on Long Island; here is a list of 21 of them:

https://hikewithyourdog.com/great-be...on-long-island

Old 08-13-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Some of us think that is a GOOD thing.....

Please realize that not everyone is a dog lover or wants dogs running free in beach areas. Or in public parks either.

And there are some dog-friendly beaches on Long Island; here is a list of 21 of them:

https://hikewithyourdog.com/great-be...on-long-island
100's of miles of coastline and there is NO place dogs can go off leash?! That is not dog friendly...that is LI's nimby-esque version of dog friendly. The sidewalk in front of your house is dog-friendly by that list. Once again, a simple solution most of the known universe can figure out , except LI. Dogs to the left, non-dogs to the right. No one needs a sliderule or graphing calculator to figure it out...just need a generation of boomer nimby hypocrites to kick off.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:37 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,061,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
...just need a generation of boomer nimby hypocrites to kick off.

You say "NIMBY" as if it's a bad thing, LOL

Seriously though, there are plenty of 30- and 40-somethings who don't want dogs running around loose on beaches etc either. No reason to make it an age thing.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
You say "NIMBY" as if it's a bad thing, LOL

Seriously though, there are plenty of 30- and 40-somethings who don't want dogs running around loose on beaches etc either. No reason to make it an age thing.
Nice leap to "dogs running around loose." They won't be near you. The signage will protect you (that and the park gestapo). Relax. sigh....see, this is exactly what I'm talking about. No discussion, just fear of chaos. LI, home of the brave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island