Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 07:20 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,163,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondrasmithlongisland View Post
What do you meen and why say it. I dont know what it is and want to know?
Of course. Long Island is the vortex capital of the world. A vortex is a semi-supernatural hole in space-time. The main ones are on Mt Misery, Field 5 at Robert Moses, Brookhaven Labs, Cold Spring Harbor Labs, Plum Island and Camp Hero. Those are the main ones but smaller ones open up all the time but don’t last long. Then there are the ones that open from time to time like the one in Sayville that a coven of witches use.

They’re usually not dangerous, often just transporting a person or car a short distance, but sometimes things get through. When that happens if the thing can be caught it’s brought to Plum Island.

Everyone focuses on Montauk, but that’s mostly a distraction.
Montauk Vortex Vortexes in New York Vortex Map

My personal favorite is the one in Mt Misery. There you might see a building one visit, and then the next time it’ll be gone or look different. It’s fun because you can never tell which one belongs.

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 07-16-2019 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 07:27 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,544,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I come here for the snark. NY'ers dish out quality snark you can't find anywhere else. Thank you for your contribution.
Welcome Back!

Old 08-08-2019, 03:21 PM

622 posts, read 855,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Of course. Long Island is the vortex capital of the world. A vortex is a semi-supernatural hole in space-time. The main ones are on Mt Misery, Field 5 at Robert Moses, Brookhaven Labs, Cold Spring Harbor Labs, Plum Island and Camp Hero. Those are the main ones but smaller ones open up all the time but don’t last long. Then there are the ones that open from time to time like the one in Sayville that a coven of witches use.

They’re usually not dangerous, often just transporting a person or car a short distance, but sometimes things get through. When that happens if the thing can be caught it’s brought to Plum Island.

Everyone focuses on Montauk, but that’s mostly a distraction.
Montauk Vortex Vortexes in New York Vortex Map

My personal favorite is the one in Mt Misery. There you might see a building one visit, and then the next time it’ll be gone or look different. It’s fun because you can never tell which one belongs.

Tremendous!

I did not know about Field 5 @ RMSP, even after having worked there for a while back in college. Seems like vortex travel could give the LIRR a real run for it's money!

Old 08-08-2019, 04:24 PM

27 posts, read 69,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackpershing View Post
As somebody that left Long Island and couldn't be happier, I was always taken back by the group think of the crybabies that leave and come back. There are other places to move to besides Florida and the Carolinas lol. Common sense would dictate that to leave LI an be happy, you should find a place that has the positives of Long Island, while avoiding most of the negatives that you despise about the place. Such places do exist. If you move JUST because you want a bigger house...well you are bound to be disappointed, for that is a materialistic endeavor and reeks of superficiality at its core. If that is one component of why you move, than that is fine. Where I currently reside offers everything that NY and LI does, except at 2/3 the price, much cleaner, much friendlier people, great schools, not as densely populated. PS. It's not The Carolinas or Florida

Where do you reside? I've been looking into leaving for a few years now. Haven't found anything that offers what you mention. We've been to North Carolina, Virginia, and some other places to check them out for relocation.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Tried to...but then got stuck in Cross Island Pkwy traffic so turned back around
Did you see your reflection in the snow covered hills?

Old 08-12-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Tremendous!

I did not know about Field 5 @ RMSP, even after having worked there for a while back in college. Seems like vortex travel could give the LIRR a real run for it's money!
Some friends who were Wiccans pointed out the one at Field 5, it’s on the Eastern side and I think it sucks in swim suits.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodByeLI View Post
Where do you reside? I've been looking into leaving for a few years now. Haven't found anything that offers what you mention. We've been to North Carolina, Virginia, and some other places to check them out for relocation.
Trying to match one location to another is a losing proposition, you really need to take each place for what it is and see if you can enjoy it on its own terms. You won’t find another Long Island that’s cheaper, but you can find other great places to live that are, and some that aren’t.

I had friends from other locations who when visiting LI commented on what’s the point of a really nice beach if you can only use it for a few months of the year. And the beaches were hard to get to.
As a Long Islander I visited the beach almost all year round and never thought they were inconvenient, as I always enjoyed the drive to them. It’s mostly a matter of perspective.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:48 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,273,591 times
Quote:
Trying to match one location to another is a losing proposition, you really need to take each place for what it is and see if you can enjoy it on its own terms. You won’t find another Long Island that’s cheaper, but you can find other great places to live that are, and some that aren’t.

I had friends from other locations who when visiting LI commented on what’s the point of a really nice beach if you can only use it for a few months of the year. And the beaches were hard to get to.
As a Long Islander I visited the beach almost all year round and never thought they were inconvenient, as I always enjoyed the drive to them. It’s mostly a matter of perspective.
In south Florida, where you can use the beach 12 months/year, tons of people either don't go or rarely go to the beach. It is the short season in LI that makes it great. And the beach is really great on a sunny 60-degre October day. Can't swim in it, but it's gorgeous.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:08 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,355,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Tremendous!

And as an added bonus, its not maintained by the MTA, so very few signal troubles and no huge salaries for the top execs.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:10 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,355,953 times
Quote:
Some friends who were Wiccans pointed out the one at Field 5, it’s on the Eastern side and I think it sucks in swim suits.

Especially if you get a starfish stuck in your swim suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island