Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 04:52 AM

124 posts, read 109,139 times

Advertisements

My deduction was >40K last year..

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...rty-1.25660197
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 05:05 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,283,369 times
“King (R-Seaford) charged that New Yorkers already get "short changed" by federal government, getting 79 cents back from Washington for every dollar they pay in taxes — or a shortfall of $48 billion annually. He called the SALT cap a "disgrace" and unfair to residents who purchased homes on Long Island expecting to utilize the deductions.”

The biggest BS story.

First, taxes are always subject to change, so if you buy a home needing those deductions that’s a red flag.

Second, the whole “get back” comment is ironic (more so when it comes from a Democrat) because NY doesn’t pay taxes per se - its corporations and people do. And for personal income tax, it’s progressive. Make more, pay more. If we had a flat tax it’s possible those in flyover states would pay more.

Third, it’s 90 cents, not 79. NJ gets 79 cents. https://www.newsday.com/business/tax...any-1.22053241

Lastly, the reason NY representatives complain is because its tax burden is much higher than other states.

NY has used SALT as a way to buffer its ridiculous tax and spend policy and now it’s been exposed.

What happened to Cuomo’s plan to change those taxes to “charitable deductions”?

Old 01-08-2019, 05:06 AM

19,270 posts, read 17,143,423 times
A lot of hubris from the elected officials, ""unfair" to Long Islanders who pay disproportionately higher property taxes than other parts of the country" and ""We are subsidizing the "rest of the country," King said".

I am glad to think that the world revolves around their districts which it doesn't. Why aren't they working to resolve the high property taxes which pay for bloated public sector union contracts along with all the other bloat, graft and waste associated with the local government's?

Old 01-08-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
A lot of hubris from the elected officials, ""unfair" to Long Islanders who pay disproportionately higher property taxes than other parts of the country" and ""We are subsidizing the "rest of the country," King said".

I am glad to think that the world revolves around their districts which it doesn't. Why aren't they working to resolve the high property taxes which pay for bloated public sector union contracts along with all the other bloat, graft and waste associated with the local government's?
There's a simple solution: Moderator cut: language removed .

It works for me....

I feel like many more will follow once they see their tax return...between that and the re-assessments in Nassau that will cause some hefty increases...

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-09-2019 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-08-2019, 05:12 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,174,008 times
Unbelievable, can’t make this stuff up. Now politicians are crying wolf because we pay to much in taxes and blame Washington instead of going after the real reason!!

We can’t win out here folks.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
“King (R-Seaford) charged that New Yorkers already get "short changed" by federal government, getting 79 cents back from Washington for every dollar they pay in taxes — or a shortfall of $48 billion annually. He called the SALT cap a "disgrace" and unfair to residents who purchased homes on Long Island expecting to utilize the deductions.”

The biggest BS story.

First, taxes are always subject to change, so if you buy a home needing those deductions that’s a red flag.

Second, the whole “get back” comment is ironic (more so when it comes from a Democrat) because NY doesn’t pay taxes per se - its corporations and people do. And for personal income tax, it’s progressive. Make more, pay more. If we had a flat tax it’s possible those in flyover states would pay more.

Third, it’s 90 cents, not 79. NJ gets 79 cents. https://www.newsday.com/business/tax...any-1.22053241

Lastly, the reason NY representatives complain is because its tax burden is much higher than other states.

NY has used SALT as a way to buffer its ridiculous tax and spend policy and now it’s been exposed.

What happened to Cuomo’s plan to change those taxes to “charitable deductions”?
The bolded struck me....correct me if I'm wrong, but the SALT cap is all state, local, and property taxes rolled into one... My deduction was >$40K last year, $13K of which was property tax. This cap effectively eliminates property tax deduction for most people...

Old 01-08-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Unbelievable, can’t make this stuff up. Now politicians are crying wolf because we pay to much in taxes and blame Washington instead of going after the real reason!!

We can’t win out here folks.
Yes.

You.

Can.

OK...maybe not out there....

Old 01-08-2019, 05:49 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,939,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

It's likely safe to say that most folks want to 'redistribute the wealth' in reaction to the results of the last few decades, some are pro & some are con.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:58 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,283,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
The bolded struck me....correct me if I'm wrong, but the SALT cap is all state, local, and property taxes rolled into one... My deduction was >$40K last year, $13K of which was property tax. This cap effectively eliminates property tax deduction for most people...
Correct, it’s all that (but not mortgage interest).

If someone makes $150K, a decent income on LI, but gets to deduct $30K for SALT, that’s equivalent to a 20% reduction in your federal burden. With mortgage interest that would push your net federal liability to close to zero.

It’s going to be painful for a while for many, but the answer isn’t to restore SALT, it’s to spend less. Will never happen in NY.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Correct, it’s all that (but not mortgage interest).

If someone makes $150K, a decent income on LI, but gets to deduct $30K for SALT, that’s equivalent to a 20% reduction in your federal burden. With mortgage interest that would push your net federal liability to close to zero.

It’s going to be painful for a while for many, but the answer isn’t to restore SALT, it’s to spend less. Will never happen in NY.
It is going to be painful....add in the personal exemption that was eliminated...a family of 4 loses and additional $16,200 right there. Doubling the standard deduction won't do it for most people...even with the new child credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island