Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 06:36 AM

106,796 posts, read 109,039,935 times

Advertisements

we also got more tax passed on to us personally from the corporate tax cuts .

in a very round about way they lowered corporate taxes which went right to the bottom line and increased share holder equity .

at least a portion of that equity increase will be taxed to us personally now rather than the corporations having paid it .

taxable stock fund distributions were crazy this year , and we got no profits with the drop .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 07:30 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,272,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
It is going to be painful....add in the personal exemption that was eliminated...a family of 4 loses and additional $16,200 right there. Doubling the standard deduction won't do it for most people...even with the new child credit.
The marginal rates went down though. The only way to know for sure is to do the math.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:43 AM

20,093 posts, read 20,903,532 times
Sounds like smoke and mirrors from a couple of guys hoping for another term.
How about this, why don't you try to lower taxes and expenses in NY before trying to pin it on the feds. Mic drop.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:10 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,152,595 times
Federally everyone should pay the same taxes, and yes, some locales will get more benefits from those taxes than others.

But what we pay locally has nothing to do with that and just because my taxes are high where I live shouldn’t mean I get a deduction for voting in tax and spend government officials.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:24 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,799,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Unbelievable, can’t make this stuff up. Now politicians are crying wolf because we pay to much in taxes and blame Washington instead of going after the real reason!!

We can’t win out here folks.
For once, I agree with you. Trump is absolutely appalling in every way, and I get it he's doing this to punish the states that didn't vote for him. But I agree he's not to blame for NY's bloated taxes. This got set into stone decades before he came around.

The sacred homeowner tax break wasn't so sacred after all, and it was inevitable that a solid GOP Congress would be looking for clawbacks at the expense of blue states. People should wise up and not expect things they benefit from would continue forever.

A homeowner who struggles with this change is obviously not a good fit for NY. The tax problem is intractable from what I can see.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:43 AM

20,093 posts, read 20,903,532 times
This only hurts places similar to LI.
The majority of the country pays far less than 10k a year in property taxes. Probably less than 5k a year on average. So generally speaking, if you can afford 10k or more per year in taxes, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:06 AM

412 posts, read 290,478 times
Two points here...

1) whatever your opinion on the high rate of NY/LI taxes, this change in the tax law amounts to double taxation. How can you be ok with this? I get that some of you like that it punishes high tax areas and you feel it is deserved. With this law, we are paying federal taxes on some of the tax money we send to NY and local government.

2) desireable areas will never have low taxes. Desireable areas have high real estate value...this makes services (salaries) cost more as the workers have to live here. Now, some % of our local taxes are due to corruption and waste. We can debate what %. But LI will never have low taxes.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:15 AM

124 posts, read 109,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The majority of the country pays far less than 10k a year in property taxes. Probably less than 5k a year on average. So generally speaking, if you can afford 10k or more per year in taxes, this shouldn't be a big deal.
Look - just because you can afford a $200 hooker once a week all year long, that doesn’t mean you should do it. Especially if she’s strapping on and turning you around week after week. Not “you” in the literal sense...but you get the point.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,272,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Two points here...

1) whatever your opinion on the high rate of NY/LI taxes, this change in the tax law amounts to double taxation. How can you be ok with this? I get that some of you like that it punishes high tax areas and you feel it is deserved. With this law, we are paying federal taxes on some of the tax money we send to NY and local government.

2) desireable areas will never have low taxes. Desireable areas have high real estate value...this makes services (salaries) cost more as the workers have to live here. Now, some % of our local taxes are due to corruption and waste. We can debate what %. But LI will never have low taxes.
1) How is it double taxation?

What you are seeing is less subsidization. That's all. NY's greed and incompetence has been exposed.

If you were a renter you wouldn't get the property tax deduction. Isn't that discriminatory?

SALT isn't removed, just reduced.

As I said before, if you are making $150K a year and able to deduct $40K+ for SALT, plus a bunch for mortgage interest you would be paying little net federal income tax, possibly as little as someone making $80K with no deductions.

As the Democrats are fond of saying, everyone needs to pay their fair share. As a bonus, everyone's marginal rates go down.

2) NY spends more in instructor salary + benefits per student than 40 states spend per pupil OVERALL (which also includes general admin, student support, etc.). NY spends 15% more per student than the next state.

How is this "desirable"? NY is ranked ninth as far as school quality.

Education Spending Per Student by State

https://secure.edweek.org/media/2016...ounts-2017.pdf

Oh, and K-12 achievement is ranked BELOW the national average. Yes, I'm sure most schools on LI perform better than the NYS average, but the taxes are higher still. You shouldn't need to pay the equivalent of private school tuition for "good" public schools.

Where this all hurts is that NY is clearly getting shafted, and all in a single year. What should have happened was that SALT reductions were phased in over say 5 years to help soften the blow, perhaps capping first at say $30K and then reducing it $5K a year, and also phasing in the marginal rate reductions.

People on Long Island who believe it's OK to pay $15K in annual property taxes and $600K for a 50 year old hi-ranch on a quarter acre are the insane ones. Travel around the country and you'll see how much more you get for your money. Many of those places are also "desirable".

There needs to be a reckoning, but I fear it will never happen. The whole LI economy is essentially a bubble built on NYC employment and generous public sector benefits.

Last edited by markjames68; 01-10-2019 at 11:38 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 11:30 AM

412 posts, read 290,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It's not just property taxes. SALT = state and local taxes.

So state income taxes + property taxes.

If your property taxes are 5600 and your state income taxes are 6000, you are being affected by the limit. More comes into play...does this coupled with the elimination of exemptions mean you will use the standard deduction now instead of itemizing? What does that do to tour taxable income, even if marginal rates have been dropped a bit, you may pay more.

There are a lot of factors at play. But I've met folks on LI who think the 10k thing applies to just property taxes...and if their taxes are 11k, they are minimally affected...and that's not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island