Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 05:49 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Are you from Druidia?
LOL solid reference
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 04:42 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Like...a little bit of Jewy. You know, not quite Jewish, but jew-ISH. Source: Am half a Jew. I tell people I'm jew-ISH.
Guess you can also tell people you're a bit goy-ISH when apropos?

Old 01-12-2019, 09:11 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfalert59 View Post
I understand that Manhasset is not as jewish as Great Neck or Roslyn, but would my family feel very out of place, or is still a decent population of jews in Manhasset, but just not as big as Roslyn or Great Neck?
Manhasset is what I'd call a "nice mix". Granted, a nice mix of rich of rich people, but a nice mix.
People are not always talking about their ethnicity or religion. Yet, obviously, there are religious adherents from all three major religious groups that are traditional to LI.

Temple Judea on Seeringtown Rd. is a very welcoming congregation, with a lot going on. There are such a diverse group of Christians, that I don't think there would be the clannish feeling that you might find in a place like Grden City.

St Mary's RC Church on Northern Blvd. also has a school. Manhasset Baptist Church, on Plandome Rd, is a more conservative Protestant church, that some relatives of mine attend and love, the Congregational Church of Manhasset is on the progressive end of Protestantism, and I have family who attended there years ago. Beautiful and welcoming congregation. Church of Our Saviour, Lutheran, is another lovely Congregation in Manhasset. Manhasset Friends Society and the Unitarian Universalist Society are also very active. Many UUs are originally Jewish or are inter married. Same, to a lesser degree of friends. There is a Presbyterian Church there too. One of my HS friend's mother was pastor there for a number of years. My perception is that it's a diverse and moderate church.

There is no way that Manhasset is a place where Jews would feel out of place. All of these places of worship span moderately conservative to progressive.

I think anyone with the finances to live there and the tolerance to live among a diverse population, would feel welcome there.

Garden City once had a restrictive covenant that excluded the sale of homes to non Protestants. Today, not many WASPS call Garden City home.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:02 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Manhasset is what I'd call a "nice mix". Granted, a nice mix of rich of rich people, but a nice mix.
People are not always talking about their ethnicity or religion. Yet, obviously, there are religious adherents from all three major religious groups that are traditional to LI.

Temple Judea on Seeringtown Rd. is a very welcoming congregation, with a lot going on. There are such a diverse group of Christians, that I don't think there would be the clannish feeling that you might find in a place like Grden City.

St Mary's RC Church on Northern Blvd. also has a school. Manhasset Baptist Church, on Plandome Rd, is a more conservative Protestant church, that some relatives of mine attend and love, the Congregational Church of Manhasset is on the progressive end of Protestantism, and I have family who attended there years ago. Beautiful and welcoming congregation. Church of Our Saviour, Lutheran, is another lovely Congregation in Manhasset. Manhasset Friends Society and the Unitarian Universalist Society are also very active. Many UUs are originally Jewish or are inter married. Same, to a lesser degree of friends. There is a Presbyterian Church there too. One of my HS friend's mother was pastor there for a number of years. My perception is that it's a diverse and moderate church.

There is no way that Manhasset is a place where Jews would feel out of place. All of these places of worship span moderately conservative to progressive.

I think anyone with the finances to live there and the tolerance to live among a diverse population, would feel welcome there.

Garden City once had a restrictive covenant that excluded the sale of homes to non Protestants. Today, not many WASPS call Garden City home.
Agree restrictive covenants existed here on LI as well as all over the Country. If I recall correctly, the Town of Huntington also had a restrictive covenant which banned people based on religion.

Historian James W. Loewen is likely the leading authority on 'Sundown' Towns', it's not just individual 'towns' but was often entire 'Sundown Suburbs'.

Quote:
In 1999, I started researching sundown towns. These are overwhelmingly white communities that for decades stayed that way on purpose.

...I first learned of such towns as a college student in Minnesota in the 1960s. Classmates from the Twin Cities told me that Edina, the wealthiest suburb of Minneapolis, had an informal saying, "Not one Negro and not one Jew." Then I learned of Darien, Conn., one of the richest suburbs of New York City. Darien was made famous briefly for the practice by the Academy Award-winning movie of 1947, Gentleman's Agreement, about the method by which it kept out Jews.

...1970. "Sundown suburbs" often were even larger: Levittown on Long Island, population more than 80,000, and Warren, a Detroit suburb of 80,000. ...
Does My Town Have a Racist Past?

How students can convert the shameful history of sundown towns in America into a rich opportunity for setting the record straight.

By James W. Loewen

https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/s...-a-racist-past

As for present day considerations?

Personally, I agree with Mr. Loewen, it's an important first step for folks in the present day to 'set the record straight'.

The great philosopher George Santayana is likely best known for expressing "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" & likely less known for the equally important "Loyalty to our ancestors does not include loyalty to their mistakes.”

Old 01-13-2019, 05:42 AM

93,238 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:

There is also this historic church that worships out of the African American tradition as well and includes history of the black community in Manhasset: MAAP | Place Detail: Lakeville

People may forget that Jim Brown(former Football player/actor/activist) grew up partially in Manhasset.

Also, here is a census block group covering the Spinney Hill community that is partially in the Manhasset SD(a portion is in the Great Neck SD, which also has a historically black church): Census Block Group 301800-5 in Nassau County, New York

So, Manhasset(and Great Neck) have long time black communities as well.

Nearby Roslyn Heights has a similar area: Census Block Group 302200-4 in Nassau County, New York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-13-2019 at 06:27 AM..

Old 01-13-2019, 01:01 PM

93,238 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is also this historic church that worships out of the African American tradition as well and includes history of the black community in Manhasset: MAAP | Place Detail: Lakeville

People may forget that Jim Brown(former Football player/actor/activist) grew up partially in Manhasset.

Also, here is a census block group covering the Spinney Hill community that is partially in the Manhasset SD(a portion is in the Great Neck SD, which also has a historically black church): Census Block Group 301800-5 in Nassau County, New York

Nearby Roslyn Heights has a similar area: Census Block Group 302200-4 in Nassau County, New York
More Spinney Hill information: Case Study 3: Spinney Hill – The Historical Information Health of Black Communities on Long Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAyF...&feature=share

Old 01-13-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

I'm glad that you mentioned Manhasset's black churches. Roslyn and Great Neck also have historic African American communities.

This is true pretty much every place I have lived, along the North Shore. Many of you might know that I grew up in Oyster Bay. We had two African American churches - there - Mt. Olive Baptist and African Methodist Episcopal.(Hood AME Zion Methodist Episcopal Church is the oldest continuously running congregation on LI) African Americans were very involved in the fabric of life in Oyster Bay. In scouting, academics and school sports. Black parents served on the school board and were active in the PTA. I had at least one black person in every school picture - K - 6. Most birthday parties that I had or attended included black friends and school mates. When I was a cheerleader, our squad captain was black, as were several other cheerleaders. Not surprisingly, our cheers were a little different from those at other schools in our league - Jericho and Carl Place had nothing on us.

My husband grew up in Elmont. He remember's two black people in his HS. TWO. And his HS was several times the size of mine. Back then in Elmont, mostly everyone was or Italian. There were a smattering of Irish, Scandinavians and Germans. but his HS experience was very different from mine.

This is one of the many reasons that I've always preferred the North Shore.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agree restrictive covenants existed here on LI as well as all over the Country. If I recall correctly, the Town of Huntington also had a restrictive covenant which banned people based on religion.

Historian James W. Loewen is likely the leading authority on 'Sundown' Towns', it's not just individual 'towns' but was often entire 'Sundown Suburbs'.

Does My Town Have a Racist Past?

How students can convert the shameful history of sundown towns in America into a rich opportunity for setting the record straight.

By James W. Loewen

https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/s...-a-racist-past

As for present day considerations?

Personally, I agree with Mr. Loewen, it's an important first step for folks in the present day to 'set the record straight'.

The great philosopher George Santayana is likely best known for expressing "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" & likely less known for the equally important "Loyalty to our ancestors does not include loyalty to their mistakes.”
I agree with Mr. Loewen also. Pretending it never happened is never healthy.

I may be straying off topic, but interestingly, America's First Suburb - Levittown, has a very racist past. The Levitt development was built to provide affordable housing to returning World War II GIs.

WHITE GIs, that is.

Levittown provided returning GIs with a chance at home ownership, and placed them in a solid position to build family wealth. Centrally located, near to the Hicksville train station at it's Northern most point, and Jones Beach on the south, this planned community gave white WWII vets a leg up.
Levittown homes had - and still have, a favorable location, a solid school district, access to shopping and is not so far out on the Island that commuting was impossible.

Many families got their start in Levittown. The homes were simple, but constructed well. Their value increased considerably, and quickly.

Blacks were offered the GI Bill but Levittown - and I suspect other places - were off limits. In the developments where blacks were steered, the construction quality was inferior, and they were often further from the city, and in generally inconvenient locations.

I think this is a SHAME. Literally.

Interestingly, many Levittown home owners upgraded to Garden City. Conservative commentator Bill O'Reilly comes to mind.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:44 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
I agree with Mr. Loewen also. Pretending it never happened is never healthy.

I may be straying off topic, but interestingly, America's First Suburb - Levittown, has a very racist past. The Levitt development was built to provide affordable housing to returning World War II GIs.

WHITE GIs, that is.

Levittown provided returning GIs with a chance at home ownership, and placed them in a solid position to build family wealth. Centrally located, near to the Hicksville train station at it's Northern most point, and Jones Beach on the south, this planned community gave white WWII vets a leg up.
Levittown homes had - and still have, a favorable location, a solid school district, access to shopping and is not so far out on the Island that commuting was impossible.

Many families got their start in Levittown. The homes were simple, but constructed well. Their value increased considerably, and quickly.

Blacks were offered the GI Bill but Levittown - and I suspect other places - were off limits. In the developments where blacks were steered, the construction quality was inferior, and they were often further from the city, and in generally inconvenient locations.

I think this is a SHAME. Literally.

Interestingly, many Levittown home owners upgraded to Garden City. Conservative commentator Bill O'Reilly comes to mind.
Being another local, and a child of a WW II vet, I agree with all of the above with one exclusion. Bill O'Reilly never lived in GC. He was in the Salisbury area of Westbury according to some and not Levittown and more recently was in the Plandome/ Manhasset area but never GC.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Being another local, and a child of a WW II vet, I agree with all of the above with one exclusion. Bill O'Reilly never lived in GC. He was in the Salisbury area of Westbury according to some and not Levittown and more recently was in the Plandome/ Manhasset area but never GC.
I'm guessing the mix up there came from having attended HS in GC. Sometimes press release writers take poetic licence. I'll have to look that up, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

My information is only anecdotal and observational. but the move from Levittown to Garden City, was not an uncommon one, with a middle move to someplace less pricey.

The final goal of Garden City was the trophy house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island