Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,051 times

Advertisements

I have wanted to be a teacher since i was in kindergarten. Unfortunately teaching isnt all it seems as a kid. I know all teachers say they arent in it for the money, but that is important to me. I hear teachers work extra hours with no pay for it. And i can only imagine the stress of trying to get 30 kids to pass standard tests.

Can any teachers please send some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 12:19 PM

731 posts, read 729,282 times
Assuming your post is legit this is not the forum to ask this question as 99% of the posters here are angry public employee haters. I'll sum up all the comments in one rambling sentence: overpaid, half year off, teacher union protected, cause of high property taxes..blah blah blah.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:57 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,950,779 times
tradeoff - teach in a public school (if you can get a job) and deal with the standardized testing (not standard...sure you want to be a teacher?)
teach in a private school where you don't have to deal with the mullarkey and take a hit on the pay scale.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:24 PM

19,328 posts, read 17,223,483 times
Its a job, if you find its not what you want then change careers.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:58 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,777,993 times
Lot of factors involved. I know teachers who are out the door at 3pm every day and others who are still laboring at 6 pm. All dif types . The money is there . It's a job. The cons are that kids don't have any fear of adults anymore and the parent is the customer. If the PTA doesn't want you there you are toast. Do you like to shmooze?

Old 07-01-2017, 10:40 AM

487 posts, read 547,274 times
I have the utmost respect for teachers. Many are truly dedicated, go over and beyond and truly make a difference in the lives of children. I come from a family of teachers and know it is not always easy, but the rewards are great. It is like any field, there are the good, dedicated ones and the not so good, dedicated ones.

I do have a little bit of any issue with the tenure issue. After several years of teaching they are reviewed for tenure. If granted, their job is protected even if down the road they are not doing a satisfactory job. What other field has that? Schools cannot get rid of the dead wood.

Yes, the standardized prep is pressure for them, but that is only twice a year depending on grade. Many students are respectful and conforming, however, there are many who are not and don't think about answering back with disrespect. When I went to school, the teacher was the authoritarian and had the last word. Today you have parents e-mailing and calling teachers if their child is in any way inconveniened.

The unions protect these teachers, no worries about that. Of course, you have those that go beyond what is expected, however, there are those that do what is expected and union protected. The pay and benefits are wonderful if in a public school district. I am not not saying it is an easy job at all, but teachers get the opportunity to decompress and regroup over the summer and all the school breaks.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:21 PM

16 posts, read 13,552 times
Tenure = the right to due process. That is all. Many private sector jobs have an equivalent system set up under a different name.

Teaching is a rewarding profession if it is what you truly want to do.

However, under the current climate, it is a profession under attack. Most of the public is misinformed about what you do. Don't expect anyone to pat you on the back. Public sector "benefits" are under attack. Don't do it for the "benefits" as who knows how long they'll be around. Do it because you love teaching.

If it is your passion, do it. I am a teacher and I can say it is the most rewarding and stressful thing I've ever done. That said, I have no regrets. Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:23 AM

5,097 posts, read 3,991,847 times
Very very few jobs available for elementary. Spanish speaking skills and (additional) Spanish certificate (a newer credential) a plus for many of those districts who are hiring. 4-year (possibly extended beyond that) probationary period is now the law.

Tenured (post probationary) teachers are let go for 'ineffective' teaching notwithstanding 'due process' protections. And fantasies to the contrary. This may be based on the performance of students- whom the teacher may or may not actually teach - on various state exams.

Additionally, declining enrollment is a fact of life in many districts, again, layoffs of tenured teachers result notwithstanding due process protection.Long work hours (in and out of school) - classroom instruction is about a third of the work.

Tier VI (state rules) and local 'benefits' bear investigation - they vary greatly from some public perceptions.

Like all jobs it has its positives and negatives.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 07-02-2017 at 01:32 AM..

Old 07-02-2017, 06:35 AM

13,068 posts, read 18,229,359 times
Let me explain something to you as it may shed some light in something you said. I taught for a few years in the late 70's. I relocated and when I returned to NY I could not get a teaching job. There is not another job that has 87 days on average a year off. If you feel you are underpaid then you have a summer to get a job to supplement your income. If you have an athletic bend you can coach, or a theatrical bend you can become and advisor to the Drama Dept. There are dozens of opportunities in every school districts to add the base salary. Now you may need to wait if that position is taken for one to open up.

Back in the day, the only teachers who had that advantage were the gym teachers who the districts agreed to hire for additional pay as coaches. The rest of the disciplines felt denied so they wangled "stipends" into the contracts for being the drama coach, cheerleader coach, any and every "club" level advisor. Further, if a teacher takes tickets for a concert or theater production they get paid a flat rate ($250 for a concert) and if they chaperone an overnight school trip they get paid plus a meal allowance.

In my former district, summer school teachers are making between $58 for a first year teacher and $63 for a 3rd year teacher. If they have "lunch duty" they make $3100 per year. We did this as back then as you put it "work extra hours for no pay", not today honey. You are barking up the wrong tree. Don't believe me? Go to the "See Through NY" website and study the various teachers contracts and find a district to your liking where you can make money, they're a dime a dozen.

Don't get me wrong, nothing beats a dedicated teacher and it is not an easy job. I have known some and I gather from some of my former students that I see whenever I am home, they consider me in that class. On a recent visit home, one gave me the highest compliment a teacher could ever hope for. She said, "I am what I am today because you saw the ability in me, even though I didn't care and you made me work to achieve." I simply thanked her.

So for me, sorry I don't view it as underpaid.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:17 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,254,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeonLongIsland View Post
Tenure = the right to due process. That is all. Many private sector jobs have an equivalent system set up under a different name.
Maybe executives, not the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: