Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 06:41 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,077,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeonLongIsland View Post
Tenure = the right to due process. That is all. Many private sector jobs have an equivalent system set up under a different name.

Teaching is a rewarding profession if it is what you truly want to do.

However, under the current climate, it is a profession under attack. Most of the public is misinformed about what you do. Don't expect anyone to pat you on the back. Public sector "benefits" are under attack. Don't do it for the "benefits" as who knows how long they'll be around. Do it because you love teaching.

If it is your passion, do it. I am a teacher and I can say it is the most rewarding and stressful thing I've ever done. That said, I have no regrets. Feel free to PM with any specific questions.
This, exactly.

Also, job openings are few and far between for Elem Ed. (Even in the city. So the whole, "I'll go work in NYC until I get a job on LI" plan might not work out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 10:34 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,779,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradee View Post
I have wanted to be a teacher since i was in kindergarten. Unfortunately teaching isnt all it seems as a kid. I know all teachers say they arent in it for the money, but that is important to me. I hear teachers work extra hours with no pay for it. And i can only imagine the stress of trying to get 30 kids to pass standard tests.

Can any teachers please send some advice.
Be open to relocating to a different part of the US where there are teacher shortages. Just because you live in NY now doesn't mean you have to stay here.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:53 AM

5,098 posts, read 3,992,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
This, exactly.

Also, job openings are few and far between for Elem Ed. (Even in the city. So the whole, "I'll go work in NYC until I get a job on LI" plan might not work out).
Exactly.

Things have changed in many ways in the LI/NYS/NYC teaching world the last 40 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: