Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 05:21 PM

70 posts, read 87,983 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in knowing some pluses and minuses of each Nassau County township...I know that Oyster Bay has Tobay Beach for town residents, and that's appealing to me. If, for the sake of argument, two houses were identical in every way (including school districts) but one was located in one township and the other was in a different one, which township wins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 06:20 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellygirl24 View Post
I'm interested in knowing some pluses and minuses of each Nassau County township...I know that Oyster Bay has Tobay Beach for town residents, and that's appealing to me. If, for the sake of argument, two houses were identical in every way (including school districts) but one was located in one township and the other was in a different one, which township wins?
Oh I really don't think it matters. Never occurred to me when house hunting. Town of Hempstead has a few ocean beaches, too, btw, but non residents are permitted if they pay more.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:32 PM

Thank you, Gibson station!

Old 02-28-2016, 11:19 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Tobay beach is nice but it is actually kind of far for many Oyster Bay residents. You literally have to drive through the Town of Hempstead along the Wantagh Pkwy to get to Tobay.

Of the three, the Town of Oyster Bay is my favorite. For one thing, it is bit further out then the two Hempsteads. If you are going to move out to the Island, you might as well as move far out enough to enjoy the parks and open space that you get further east. Also much of the northern part of the Town seem almost rural. And Oyster Bay generally has larger and new houses then the other two towns. Sometimes bigger properties too.

North Hempstead does have some interesting hilly terrain in some spots. It is a easy train ride into the city. There are some interesting communities in North Hempstead, this is one part of the Island that I have not fully explored. There are no ocean beaches but I believe that North Hempstead has several town parks on the bays and the Sound.

Hempstead is the most populated, developed and crowded Town on Long Island. Mostly standard suburbia but there are some interesting communities like the semi-rural parts of the Five Towns or the small city like villages of Rockville Centre and Lynbrook. Garden City is nice of course too. The Town is highly developed but even here you can spot a curve in the road or a old building as a reminder of the old Long Island.

If you are a boater, the south bays of Hempstead looks like it has a very interesting shoreline to sail a small boat around.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:23 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
^^^Think that about sums it up. It's more about location than anything else. All have varying levels of corruption that is distasteful but the residents keep voting the same people in, even when they practically admit to wrongdoing.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:31 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
If you are a commuter, TNH is closer to the city. than TOB. That said, the Oyster Bay train line is a major line for a good chunk of TNH. That said if you live in TOB you no down will go with the Syosset trains due to the level of service as compared to TNH.
Since you mentioned the beach, TOH, offers ocean beaches while the others offer L.I. Sound beaches.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:07 PM

If you are going to move out to the Island, you might as well as move far out enough to enjoy the parks and open space that you get further east.

This part made me smile...I'm actually doing probably the exact opposite of what most people do. We're relocating west from wayyyyy out east to be closer to my husband's job. We're, unfortunately, giving up a gorgeous house built in 2010 with a large piece of land and reasonable taxes to live the Nassau County life

We also don't need to commute into the city, so access to transportation isn't a factor.

Thank you for all of your responses! I was just curious because m while the township doesn't make a tremendous difference, I know out here where I live, having a house, say, in the Town of Southampton means a $35 car sticker to some of the most desirable beaches on the island, and some very low taxes...where you could live next door to a house that's in the Town of Brookhaven and...well, not get that.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:23 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,515 times
Quote:
If you are going to move out to the Island, you might as well as move far out enough to enjoy the parks and open space that you get further east.

This part made me smile...I'm actually doing probably the exact opposite of what most people do. We're relocating west from wayyyyy out east to be closer to my husband's job. We're, unfortunately, giving up a gorgeous house built in 2010 with a large piece of land and reasonable taxes to live the Nassau County life

We also don't need to commute into the city, so access to transportation isn't a factor.

Thank you for all of your responses! I was just curious because m while the township doesn't make a tremendous difference, I know out here where I live, having a house, say, in the Town of Southampton means a $35 car sticker to some of the most desirable beaches on the island, and some very low taxes...where you could live next door to a house that's in the Town of Brookhaven and...well, not get that.
I grew up in Suffolk and moved way west, too! It's ok. Having a smaller plot is more manageable and you will grow to appreciate it. Much of Nassau has some really charming older homes and neatly planned neighborhoods (at all price points), which you may also end up appreciating. And sidewalks!

My wife and I both commute, so settling westward was a no brainier. But even if you don't commute to Manhattan, having the city a relatively brief (and honestly pretty reliable) ride away is great for recreational purposes. Not to mention convenience to the airports and the Throgs Neck Bridge to easily get off the island.

And the beaches in Nassau are just fine, not that I don't love getting out to Montauk when I have the time.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:47 PM

Most people think we're nuts for giving up what we have out here...but it's all worthless when your life is spent commuting to a house you never get to appreciate! (And I can't lie...I'm looking forward to the convenient shopping, city trips that don't involve driving 40 minutes just to get to the Ronkonkoma station...). Thanks for the supportive words!

Old 03-02-2016, 08:35 AM

82 posts, read 119,727 times
Do not buy into Oyster Bay...I have and regret it everyday. One resident is determined to expose the corruption that goes on and all the wasteful spending. Just check out his youtube channel dedicated to the crusade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fRVSz5bgs8

For the taxes you are paying I would go with North Hempstead. Shorter commute to city and just look at the perks the town offers. Also they are fiscally more transparent. Then look at Hempstead and Oyster Bay programs, it's like
http://www.northhempsteadny.gov/file...gram_Guide.pdf

If it's the beaches you want Oyster Bay charges $60 every season to park at few beaches, you might as well buy the Empire Passport offered by NYS for $65 a year and enjoy more beaches and all the other great parks in NYS year round...Cuomo pumped in $18mil to revitalize the beaches and I already saw improvements with better facilities, more eateries, food trucks, while Oyster Bay and Singh is quality down.

Last edited by mamafala; 03-02-2016 at 09:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island