Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:40 AM

26 posts, read 69,058 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a place along Hempstead Turnpike and Nassau Blvd, which is basically right near Garden City South and a stone's throw from Franklin Square (it's zoned in Franklin Square School District).

I've only been to West Hempstead once and can't remember much outside of the very Jewish section near the library.

Can anyone give me a rundown of what the Franklin Square/West Hempstead area is like? I've seen Hempstead Village and it's ... not desirable, but West Hempstead seems to have a different reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 12:37 PM

321 posts, read 595,951 times
West Hempstead is completely different from the Village of Hempstead which is where all the crime is.

There was an article in Newsday a few weeks ago about a robbery in West Hempstead but that happened at 2am and nothing good happens after midnight anywhere.

From what I have heard and seen West Hempstead is a great place to live.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:42 PM

45 posts, read 92,174 times
yep, it's completely different from Hempstead Village. That area in particular is pretty nice. There's a small park along Fenworth Blvd (if i recall correctly?), and you'd be near one of the best bagel shops on LI (A&S bagels, open 24 hours)

The Jewish section in WH (near the library) is the area east of nassau blvd, south of hempstead tpke and along hempstead ave. The area is actually fairly mixed, but predominantly Jewish. I lived in WH as a teenager (non-jewish) for several years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Once you go further east and hit the national wholesale liquidators/shoppers village building, that's where the sketchier part of Hempstead starts. Not the worst place in the world, but you wouldn't want to be there after dark.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:46 PM

61 posts, read 153,191 times
I grew up in West Hempstead and yes, West Hempstead and Hempstead are very different. Like everyone else is saying West Hempstead is a nice town. A standard middle class working class neihborhood. That area youre looking in is nice as well. Border of Franklin Sq. which is also nice.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:17 PM

584 posts, read 871,719 times
cathedral area is a very desirable area and located between west Hempstead and Hempstead village

Old 05-14-2014, 06:41 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
That area along Nassau Blvd is perfectly fine. Nice little shopping area on Nassau Blvd further north.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:15 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
West Hempstead is definitely different than Hempstead. I lived there for about 4 years and liked that area a lot.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:22 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Hey Mookie,

Going by your Lynbrook posting I know food is important for you, especially within walking distance.

Good eats on Nassau Blvd. La Botteg (panninis/Italian), Gonzo's (Mexican food) Magic Burger, Lucky Duck (Italian). On the Turnpike is Greene Turtle, Burger Bites, Boston Market, and a bunch of Pizzerias.

Bon Appetite!

BTW the area is good. Schools are good.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:54 PM

26 posts, read 69,058 times
Thanks NSHL10 and everyone else.

The school district (not for me but my younger high school sibling) is fairly high on importance, and there's another place of interest not too far from there that's in the West Hempstead School District. How's their high school as far as academic standards and atmosphere? The Brentwood-Bay Shore-Central Islip area is ultimately useless as far as academic performance so I'm banking on an improvement in the better parts of Nassau.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:32 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
West Hempstead has pretty similar school results to Franklin Square.Haven't heard of any unusual problems at the school.
The main difference is WH is 1 district that covers grades K through 12. FS has an elementary school district then Sewanhaka Central District covers 7 through 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island