Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:35 AM

893 posts, read 2,865,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Tymel.. I have to tell you someting really important. While H.S seems like your whole universe and the friends you have in them are the only friends you will ever have.. I will tell you this.. Once H.S is finished the world out there is SO huge. You will grow and change and morph from the young adult you are now to the Adult you will be. Along the way your thoughts, ideas about life, who you were and who you are will change. And..as you grow and change some people either change with you, or those that don't are left behind in your wake.. not in a sad or pathetic way, but rather in a way that you mutually outgrow each other. And.. what seems SO very significant now will be so very insignificant in the future.
I'm one who is friendly with everyone, but have only 2 woman I consider my very close and dear friends. The first is someone I didn't even know or meet till I was 24 years of age. We didn't go to H.S together, didn't even know each other. As a matter of fact I didn't even talk to or stay in touch with anyone from H.S afterwards...as we grew apart. The second is a girl that I DID know almost my entire life growing up, but during our H.S years we weren't friends that hung out together at all, although our parents knew each other well and we played soccer on teh same team. One day I was out with friend #1 meeting her friends and there walked in my friend #2. From there we grew together into a great friendship and now we both have kids that get together and play etc.
My point is this.. there are ALWAYS good friends to be made and good friends to be lost down the road of life. With the world wide web and all of our technology you will be able to stay in touch with old friends. Maybe you will always have contact with them or maybe your correspondence will grow further and few between as you each change and grow. AND..what is most exciting is that you will get to meet a whole bunch of new kids in a new school.. and maybe there will be a lifelong friend that you will grow together with.. meet your significant others with and start raising a family side by side as friends.. or maybe not.
And.. you'll enter the new school your senior year as a big mystery to all your fellow classmates. ... you never know, that could make you popular!! (although being popular is not what is important). You may think H.S is the best time of your life, but believe me it's only one of many. College is truly the most awesome time and there you will be making new friends too and starting all over again.
It could be very exciting for you.. and Iwish you teh best of luck..
Thank you so much, this post changed everything. I thought most peoples friends came from high school but I guess they come from everywhere. I am still going to keep in touch but if we outgrow each other we outgrow each other. Thanks for the insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 PM

718 posts, read 2,974,757 times
Don't worry, in 10 years you probably won't still be friends with any of these people anyway. Look at it as a adventure. I don't talk to anyone I went to HS with anymore and I have tons of new friends. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:17 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,113,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Don't worry, in 10 years you probably won't still be friends with any of these people anyway. Look at it as a adventure. I don't talk to anyone I went to HS with anymore and I have tons of new friends. Good luck!
I agree. You will find better friends based on common interests, from various jobs and colleges if you go than those you had in HS. We change alot as we age, and usually HS friendships just don't survive the changes.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:01 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,766,629 times
Great post. You get a reputation point from me!

A note to Tymel. I know it sucks, but don't let it get to you. You sound like a great kid. You'll do great wherever you go and whatever you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Tymel.. I have to tell you someting really important. While H.S seems like your whole universe and the friends you have in them are the only friends you will ever have.. I will tell you this.. Once H.S is finished the world out there is SO huge. You will grow and change and morph from the young adult you are now to the Adult you will be. Along the way your thoughts, ideas about life, who you were and who you are will change. And..as you grow and change some people either change with you, or those that don't are left behind in your wake.. not in a sad or pathetic way, but rather in a way that you mutually outgrow each other. And.. what seems SO very significant now will be so very insignificant in the future.
I'm one who is friendly with everyone, but have only 2 woman I consider my very close and dear friends. The first is someone I didn't even know or meet till I was 24 years of age. We didn't go to H.S together, didn't even know each other. As a matter of fact I didn't even talk to or stay in touch with anyone from H.S afterwards...as we grew apart. The second is a girl that I DID know almost my entire life growing up, but during our H.S years we weren't friends that hung out together at all, although our parents knew each other well and we played soccer on teh same team. One day I was out with friend #1 meeting her friends and there walked in my friend #2. From there we grew together into a great friendship and now we both have kids that get together and play etc.
My point is this.. there are ALWAYS good friends to be made and good friends to be lost down the road of life. With the world wide web and all of our technology you will be able to stay in touch with old friends. Maybe you will always have contact with them or maybe your correspondence will grow further and few between as you each change and grow. AND..what is most exciting is that you will get to meet a whole bunch of new kids in a new school.. and maybe there will be a lifelong friend that you will grow together with.. meet your significant others with and start raising a family side by side as friends.. or maybe not.
And.. you'll enter the new school your senior year as a big mystery to all your fellow classmates. ... you never know, that could make you popular!! (although being popular is not what is important). You may think H.S is the best time of your life, but believe me it's only one of many. College is truly the most awesome time and there you will be making new friends too and starting all over again.
It could be very exciting for you.. and Iwish you teh best of luck..

Old 01-11-2008, 04:10 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,339,989 times
I agree. HS was OK, but I hardly talk to anyone from HS these days. I've asked a lot of other people and they're the same way. Once you move away from someone, it's MUCH harder to stay good friends than when you lived near each other. It doesn't matter how close you may have been. It seems like you'll be relocating once to PA, again for College and, presumably, at least once after College.
My best advice to you is keep doing well in school. I know plenty of people who are doing well and plenty not doing as well. One of the consistent factors has been that the good students are doing better than the others. It's not all grades, but they matter quite a bit. Good luck! You'll meet tons of new people along the way.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:22 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,016,930 times
Default Thank you Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Great post. You get a reputation point from me!

A note to Tymel. I know it sucks, but don't let it get to you. You sound like a great kid. You'll do great wherever you go and whatever you do.

Thank you Tom. I felt I needed to say something because, well it just saddens me when kids in H.S get so caught up in the taunts of other children (and in what happens in H.S in general) and then do something stupid (like some of the major news we've heard lately). I wasn't exactly with the "in" crowd in school and it really kind of sucked. But on the upside, I think it made me a stronger person and then of course, when I started living my REAL life after H.S, I realized that what was said during it was SO insignificant and I should have never let anyone other than myself define who I am or would become. I hope that I carry that message over to my children.. First, that they should NEVER let what mean spirited things other children may say about them and let them know it's important to love themselves despite what other kids say (becasue usually they are only saying it becasue they need to put someone down to make them feel better abuot themselves) and on the other side, they should NEVER use words to hurt someone. I do not believe that old saying about sticks and stones.. words can hurt, sometimes more deeply, than a physical blow..and those are always scars that are hidden and not seen. NO one should allow others to make them feel that way, so whenever I get the opportunity to remind someone so young that H.S is really not the be all end all of their universe, I take it.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:13 PM

Yeah High school definetly sucks, for a guy i had my fair shares of crying at night. I get what you guys are saying about not being friends with people after HS but I dont know if I would like to do that, guess I have no choice. I do plan on moving after college even overseas at some point, so I guess its going to happen sooner or later where I would have to make new friends. I just hope I get as much friends I have here over there too. I am by no means popular but I have a good amount of friends who accept me for being really skinny and dont crack on it. I know as soon as I go over their theres going to be major rumors about me.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:02 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,339,989 times
First off, you should seek Medical help if you think you maybe underweight and unable to maintain an appropriate weight.
You'll only be at the school for one year, so don't let the rumors bother you.
You'll make plenty of new friends in College, but the final year of HS might be tough since your classmates will be in cliques and not looking for new friends. To be honest, it doesn't bother me at all that I'm no longer in contact with my HS friends. This is not that profound, but people who stay in the same area as their HS are the ones who maintain their HS friends (who have stayed in the area the whole time as well). Those of us who move around... our group of friends changes with us. Once you've changes locations and lost one set of friends (except maybe 1-2 people) and made a new set, having your group of friends change doesn't bother you that much. When you get older, there's so much other stuff to worry about that making and maintaining friends becomes less of a priority than when you were younger.
Keep your grades up, go to the College that you think best suits you need and do well. Grades matter just as much if you're going for a job as if you're applying to Grad School. People like to associate with those who are considered successful, aka 'winners.' If you make good grades and get a nice job or get into a good Grad School, you'll start to feel more confident in yourself. At that stage, it'll be easy to make friends, as people will want to associate with you. Focus on doing well yourself, and the rest will follow!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:50 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,823 times
We got a couple of kids during our last year of HS- I remember thinking how that must have been really hard for them (they came from Catholic school) but at least one that I know of is still very close with the friends from that final year, and I'm out of HS a long time now. Hang in there. You never know what it might bring you!

Old 01-12-2008, 07:45 AM

Thank you! This is the exact reason I posted it here because I knew most of you have kids and can give me advice. I feel much better about the whole situation and less bummed about it. Just have to have fun my junior year like it was my senior year with my friends and than have fun my senior year with my new friends in PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island