Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:21 PM

122 posts, read 267,938 times

Advertisements

Nothing worst than coming home to a bill from my landscaper. What is worst is all these unexpected charges he adds on top of the lawn cuts. I was charged for fertilizer and crabgrass control. I didn't even know he was going to do this, and plus we are not even home during the day. So really he can add all the charges he wants.

I had a conversation with him towards the tail end of Fall'13 when we just moved in asking him to give me a heads up when to expect various services from him asking for a calendar of his services. Still have not received one yet.

Think i'm going to buy a lawn mower and a dummies guide to lawn maintenance........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 12:31 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,973,015 times

Old 05-20-2014, 12:34 PM

413 posts, read 600,355 times
There should be a contract in place. All services agreed to in advance, then no surprises.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:39 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,025,945 times
$21 a week?

That's cheap!!

Old 05-20-2014, 01:22 PM

783 posts, read 1,430,379 times
Beware of the fall cleanup charges, $160 and above.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,422,554 times
If you are going to mow your own lawn and want the same quality as the landscapers then you are going to need a mower, weed wacker, blower, edger, hedge trimmer, spreader (for fertilizer, seed, lime, etc), lawn bags and tools such as rakes, hoes, brooms, shovels, clippers...

Landscaping is not just mowing. You will need to know how to properly mow, trim, edge and trim. Even though I have a small piece of property it takes me a good hour or two to do it properly. if you don't care how your lawn looks then you can just mow it and it will look like crap.

If you don't want to do all of this then $21 a week is not a bad deal.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:02 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,599,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heuerfan View Post
Nothing worst than coming home to a bill from my landscaper. What is worst is all these unexpected charges he adds on top of the lawn cuts. I was charged for fertilizer and crabgrass control. I didn't even know he was going to do this, and plus we are not even home during the day. So really he can add all the charges he wants.

I had a conversation with him towards the tail end of Fall'13 when we just moved in asking him to give me a heads up when to expect various services from him asking for a calendar of his services. Still have not received one yet.

Think i'm going to buy a lawn mower and a dummies guide to lawn maintenance........

Dude - worst isn't the same as worse.

Based on your post above, if in doubt use "worse"

Old 05-20-2014, 02:50 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,996,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heuerfan View Post

Communication and prior work authorization isn't a strong suit for many blue collar workers.
They come and do work without waiting around for answers and directions.

I do all my own work.
And like others have mentioned there is a bit of a learning curve and upfront expense, but it is satisfying.

Instead of walking around and nit picking about how the edges aren't even or the hedge isn't straight, I have only myself to blame.

Plus, the cold drink I have while I look at my finished work tastes so much better!

Old 05-20-2014, 03:30 PM

20,998 posts, read 28,573,198 times
$21 a week is cheap we pay $30 a week. I told my guy this year, do the spring clean up and only cut the grass every other week. Saves us money. We don't have him do the fall clean up. I also told him I do not want any more chemicals, it seems it's doing more harm than good on my once nice and new Sod . We would do this ourselves but hubby has a bad back and can't be bothered, neither can I LOL.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:59 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,932,304 times
I gladly do it myself. Don't bag the clippings - it is fertilizer for your lawn anyway. Saves a lot of effort. My landscaper friend gave me the following schedule. Buy a spreader (mini is fine).

[ ] Crabgrass control with Feed late Apr (important)
[ ] Weed control as needed
[ ] Fungicide june (if needed)
[ ] insect Control with Feed late June/July (if needed)
[ ] Turf Builder early sept
[ ] Winterizer Oct-Nov

Note that if you put down crabgrass control you can't seed for months as that's why it works against crabgrass - it prevents germination. My lawn looks just as nice as my neighbors who use landscapers. The difference is I don't noise pollute with a damn leaf blower for over an hour. Saving money is equal to making it.

If you're buying a new lawnmower, buy one that is self-propelled in some fashion. When mine dies, I may do the same... right now it's exercise.

BTW, there is 1 thing worse than coming home to a landscaping bill. The oil bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: