Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:04 AM

730 posts, read 1,304,204 times

Advertisements

Don't know how big the OP's property is, but if it's 1/4 acre or less and with no tricky topography, a mower option might be one of the battery ones, such as the larger Neuton for about $500 including the tax. No need to mess with gas, oil or tuneups. Get the blade sharpened once a season, remember to plug in the battery charger again after you're done, and that's it.

My 90-year-old neighbor has one and can do his half acre on a single battery charge if he does it every week; if he lets it get too long, he can do 2/3 of the yard per charge.

It doesn't have the oomph to chew up small branches or piles of autumn leaves like the gas powered ones do, though. And it's not self-propelled (but since it's much lighter than the gas mowers, that's a non-issue). You can buy a trimmer/edger attachment for the mower too.

Neuton CE6 Cordless Electric Lawn Mower | DR Power Equipment

Oh and it's really quiet. About the same loudness as my vacuum cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM

519 posts, read 598,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
If you are going to do your own landscaping and want to do it properly you are going to need the tools and equipment I mentioned. Just a mower and trimmer is not going to cut it. If you are ok with a sloppy job or want to spend a lot more time then go ahead. You could probably do without the edger but the rest you will need. How are you going blow leaves and grass clippings when they are on your driveway or sidewalk? You could use a broom but that will take a long time and it won't do as good of a job as a blower. How are you going to get leaves out of hard to reach places and get them into a pile? You can use a rake but it gets tiring quick. Why exert all that energy when you can just blow it?

I'm not saying you need to spend a fortune on lawn equipment but it can all be had for less than $1000.
I got everything I needed for around $500; that includes a blower and hedger. Now that I have all the equipment, it's under $80 a year for maintenance and about an hour a week. Well worth it. It's therapeutic for me. Like kayo said, that ice cold drink after you're done is so nice.

Quote:
As far as mowing your clippings and leaves onto your lawn, well that just look like crap. The only people I know that do that are people that have huge properties that can't bag everything or the lazy ones that don't know how to mow their lawn. Seeing a trail of clippings and leaves on your lawn is an eyesore. The leaves are not fertilizer, only the lawn clippings are.

When I'm done with my landscaping it usually looks better than my neighbors who use a service. I get compliments all the time by passerby's on how nice my lawn looks.
You completely lost me here. You can't even see lawn clippings unless youre cutting too much at one time and leaving clumps, or mowing a wet lawn. Same for leaves. They drop down to the soil and disappear if you do it right. The only time leaves become too much to handle is around november.
I'd say mine looks better than most people who use landscapers. Also mine is not kept on life support with harsh contractor fertilizers and crappy seed. It's sustainable and looks good without that because of good practices like mowing your leaves & clippings into the lawn.
If someone who uses a landscaper ever stopped, they would see the real condition of their lawn.

Last edited by Howard Beale; 05-21-2014 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 12:00 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Call it what you like, but it holds true for almost all dealings I had with contractors sine my time as a home owner. That doesn't say a lot of good about contractors, in general.
Actually what that tells me is that the person with the communication deficiency is...you!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:12 PM

519 posts, read 598,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Not looking for an argument but for one person to do my corner lot no part of it takes 5 minutes and altogether it's at least 2 hours. They actually blow and tote (big green pails) debris every week. They also weed the beds, sift the mulch, mow front, back and side yards, edge all grass beds, curb and fence sides. It takes me hours and looks average. It isn't torture, just very annoying, unsatisfying and cuts into limited free time I can spend in much more enjoyable ways. I get 1 spring cleanup, aeration, 2 or 3 seedings, 5 or 6 chemical treatments (insects, fertilizer, weeds, etc) and weekly service. It costs me $965 per year and my lawn has looked better and better each year since they started. If I hit the lottery I'll get IGS's and make the lawn police proud.
Those green pails are most likely just grass clippings. Are you home when they come to mow? Most are hit-and-run type operations. They cut front/back while one guy does the edging/trimming and are gone in 15 minutes
$965 sounds very cheap. The cleanups alone are usually $300-$400. Maintenance $40 average a week with the chemical treatments. If they're spending an hour a week on yours plus chemicals and cleanups, they're not making any money at $965 for the year. doesn't add up.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:36 PM

413 posts, read 599,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Those green pails are most likely just grass clippings. Are you home when they come to mow? Most are hit-and-run type operations. They cut front/back while one guy does the edging/trimming and are gone in 15 minutes
$965 sounds very cheap. The cleanups alone are usually $300-$400. Maintenance $40 average a week with the chemical treatments. If they're spending an hour a week on yours plus chemicals and cleanups, they're not making any money at $965 for the year. doesn't add up.
They take 1/2 hour. Cleanings are 1/2 that price. Local family business been around for 40 years (dad then son). They are quick but they are efficient and professional. Do a number of houses nearby. Weed whacker and edger guys walk up and start. Mowers follow a few minutes later. Blower clean/up right after. Crew chief does beds and also handles blower. Bins are all lawn clippings emptied from the mower catch. Not sure why every decent service has to be suspect on here. Either it's a "hit and run" or "contractors who can't communicate." Sorry all you Scottsmen but it ain't rocket science. It's just tedious labor. I'd rather coach my kid's sports or do most anything short of a root canal than whack weeds but once again, to each his own. There is plenty of grunt work I do and wouldn't dream of paying someone for so I understand the concept. Let's agree to be glad it's finally spring and we can discuss lawns instead of potholes and frozen pipes!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:59 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Actually what that tells me is that the person with the communication deficiency is...you!
Haha.
But who's the expert on the services being performed? Me?
Am I the one that's supposed to be on-site to watch everything? Hm...

Like the example of the lime/fertilizer earlier, was the owner supposed to know what his soil ph is, what is needed, at what time of the year, which brand, mix, ratio, application method that he prefers and let the landscaper know ahead of time?

Or, like an expert in the field should generally do, is ask "hey, your soil ph is acidic, so we recommend adding lime. The cost is $20. Do you authorize us to do this?"

Old 05-22-2014, 07:51 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,829,221 times
paying $25 per week, it's a bargain. Yes, I tried to mow my first year, it was biggest pain in the ass.

I screwed up the law, had to pay $1500 to re-sod

Old 05-22-2014, 09:38 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,405,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
paying $25 per week, it's a bargain. Yes, I tried to mow my first year, it was biggest pain in the ass.

I screwed up the law, had to pay $1500 to re-sod
How did you manage to screw up your lawn? All you are doing is mowing and watering. Its not that difficult.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
How did you manage to screw up your lawn? All you are doing is mowing and watering. Its not that difficult.
Chemicals. ..especially over fertilizer in the summer months will destroy a lawn quickly...a very common mistake for a new home owner

Old 05-22-2014, 10:34 AM

122 posts, read 267,172 times
Wow, this thread has taking off

Thanks to all for the information, feedback and advice. My lot size is 60x100 and I do have a decent size front and backyard. I will continue to use my current landscaper for the time being until I find someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: