Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:59 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you think a reasonable starting salary for a teacher is? I'm not going to get into a debate about the usefulness of teachers, but it just seems like people who complain about how much teachers make, are often also people who pride themselves on their great addresses and good districts. You get what you pay for.
A couple of counter-points.

A resume does not a great teacher make. It seems that the primary guideline in terms of teachers salary is level of education and years of experience. That doesn't indicate quality. I hire people all the time (different industry) and there is almost never a correlation between degrees and accreditation and the persons ability. I would never pay someone more because they have a Masters.

I almost never see anyone complaining about teachers salaries. It's typically about the cost of benefits and the over-head administration. A good teacher is worth every penny they earn whether it's $30k or $100k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 08:03 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Why pick on the teachers? I believe a lot more money could be saves by ousting all the hangers on that get salaries from the school district. How many 'hall monitors' do they need? What are they being paid? Do they get medical benefits? What do they actually do? (chat with staff?) Can't hiring one guard save $$ and be more effective?

Also, why does each school district need a superintendent? Perhaps each township should have one.

There are many ways of shaving $$ of the budgets. Start by ending 'nepotism!'

Old 12-02-2007, 08:18 AM

248 posts, read 872,956 times
I agree about the superintendents and nepotism, but leave you with one thought..it costs more to keep a person in prison than to give them a quality education

Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 AM

706 posts, read 3,762,817 times
Thanks to all --

A couple of points

- I will check out that Long Island Press

- About 10 years ago, I went to a Fair for Long Island school teaching jobs and they gave out packets with all kinds of information, including salaries at each school. I don't think they do that anymore.

- Also, the average NYC Teacher salary is in the $50,000's. Starting salary with a Masters Degree in Education is $51,000 and increases a few hundred dollars per year.

Many teachers are in their first few years. Turnover is high.
Also, many are earning in the $40,000's and still working on Master's Degrees.

A teacher who has been teaching for 22 years AND has a PH.D or 30 credits beyond a Masters would be earning about $95,000.
With a Masters Degree and 22 years of teaching, earnings would be about $90,000.

(Although many teachers after so much time and education will have moved on to administration.)

NYC Principals start at a little over $100,000.

There is opportunity for teachers to supplement their salaries a few dollars with overtime ($40 per session) pay in two, five or six hour a week after school programs. Teachers will tell you, it's not easy to go beyond that school day. One must teach to truly understand the rigor and the after school and weekend work necessary for committed teachers to achieve our academic goals with students let alone extra-curicular, afterschool type ventures.

Many thanks again...

And if anybody finds out any information, please let me know.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I think that info is pretty tough to find out. Years ago a friend of mine had a booklet with different starting salaries at the different steps. She got it from a friend who was a member of school board. Anyhow, this is about five years ago, and I can't remember specifics, but GC pays quite well, and Malverne is one of the lower paying districts. I don't remember Baldwin, so I imagine it was in the middle of the pack. I worked as a leave replacement in Malverne (MS) before my son was born (2002-2003) and it was around 48K for Masters, 1st year (no credit for pvt school). Coming from the Public Libraries and a Private School, I was happy. Nassau's higher than Suffolk in general. If you go to Newsday School Report cards, you can get a little info about average pay etc.

lilibrarian

How was it working at Malverne? Did they offer you a permanent position?
How are they about offering permanent postions to leave replacements?

I'm thinking about pursuing a leave replacement position to try and get my foot in the door.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:22 AM

123 posts, read 647,238 times
Quote:
How was it working at Malverne? Did they offer you a permanent position?
How are they about offering permanent postions to leave replacements?
I was offered the position, but wanted to see if I could swing working part-time at the public library, so I could be mostly at home with my baby. The year I worked there, there were a number of people who got positions who had worked as leave replacements, ISS teachers, or aides to get their foot in the door. I think if they like you, they keep you. One thing: it would appear that there's been a lot of turnover on the admin. levels, so I can't be sure it's the same. Several different principals for several years.

I liked working there. The year before I started there were some discipline issues, but I was never concerned. There is a lot of diversity. A lot of m/c AA and white students, some Hispanic. There are some kids who come from rougher backgrounds, but I never found the management issues to be too tough. Most kids were nice. I liked my colleagues and the principal too.

The middle school at least has had a big turnover recently--lots of retirees, lots of new blood. I ran into a teacher not long ago, who'd been there a long time and she was pleased with the changes.

Good Luck!!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:08 PM

14 posts, read 92,175 times
My wife teaches in Nassau County and had been there 16 years. She has MA+30 and currently makes $103k. Next year, with MA+50 she will be at $113k. According to the details in the current contract, her salary will be at $190k at age 55, at which time she can retire with a pension of about $120k/yr, free from NYS taxes. All this with 14 weeks off per year.

Now that I think about it, I wish I had gone into the teaching profession!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what do you think a reasonable starting salary for a teacher is? I'm not going to get into a debate about the usefulness of teachers, but it just seems like people who complain about how much teachers make, are often also people who pride themselves on their great addresses and good districts. You get what you pay for.

Manhattan has some great addresses and some rather bad ones, too. Yet it is served by the same PD. Why can't starting teacher salaries be the same across the board, as opposed to higher here and lower there? That way, districts perceived as poor or bad would at least have a fighting chance of attracting well-qualified individuals.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Manhattan has some great addresses and some rather bad ones, too. Yet it is served by the same PD. Why can't starting teacher salaries be the same across the board, as opposed to higher here and lower there? That way, districts perceived as poor or bad would at least have a fighting chance of attracting well-qualified individuals.
NYC Teaching salaries are the same across the board.

Nassau residents pay high taxes which vary and those pay teacher's salaries which also vary.

"Poor or bad" districts have a multitude of problems, including violence and bureaucratic BS, that discourage great teachers and potentially great teachers from staying.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browse View Post
My wife teaches in Nassau County and had been there 16 years. She has MA+30 and currently makes $103k. Next year, with MA+50 she will be at $113k. According to the details in the current contract, her salary will be at $190k at age 55, at which time she can retire with a pension of about $120k/yr, free from NYS taxes. All this with 14 weeks off per year.

Now that I think about it, I wish I had gone into the teaching profession!

I hear you Browse, but since your wife teaches, you know it's really a calling.

*smile*

An MA plus 30 at 16 years in NYC is about $80,000 to $85,000. (mid-nineties is top salary).

So we're looking at about a $20,000 difference.

Is your wife at one of the better paying schools in Nassau?

Someone told me that the North Shore schools pay higher salaries.

Last edited by DonnaReed; 12-02-2007 at 11:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island