Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 07:19 AM

60 posts, read 121,601 times

Advertisements

It is no secret that the hamlet of Brentwood has arguably the worst reputation in Suffolk county. However I have lived here for decades, gone to the public schools and graduated top of my class while meeting some of the brightest people. This thread is a sort of an ask me anything, but the questions should be centered around life living here. There are lots of stereotypes and generalizations on how the people behave, how incredibly bad the schools are and how incredibly huge the gang problems are. So, just ask a question and I will try to answer it to the best of my abilities. We may not be "crown jewel" of the Island, but we are not nearly as bad as some people make us out to be (looking at you Buffalo)

Ex of a question: How safe is it at night to go out?

Answer: Well, I often go out for a walk or jog around 10-11 and have never had any troubles. Next Question?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 08:20 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
what's EPMD up to these days?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♦♣♠ View Post
It is no secret that the hamlet of Brentwood has arguably the worst reputation in Suffolk county. However I have lived here for decades, gone to the public schools and graduated top of my class while meeting some of the brightest people. This thread is a sort of an ask me anything, but the questions should be centered around life living here. There are lots of stereotypes and generalizations on how the people behave, how incredibly bad the schools are and how incredibly huge the gang problems are. So, just ask a question and I will try to answer it to the best of my abilities. We may not be "crown jewel" of the Island, but we are not nearly as bad as some people make us out to be (looking at you Buffalo)

Ex of a question: How safe is it at night to go out?

Answer: Well, I often go out for a walk or jog around 10-11 and have never had any troubles. Next Question?
Where would you say is the nicest part of Brentwood and the worst part of Brentwood?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Brentwood is worse than Wyandanch? worse than Gordon Heights? Shirley/Mastic? Riverhead? Bellport? Central Islip? North Babylon? Rocky Point?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:15 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Brentwood is worse than Wyandanch? worse than Gordon Heights? Shirley/Mastic? Riverhead? Bellport? Central Islip? North Babylon? Rocky Point?
There's nothing wrong with North Babylon. I don't see why you listed it among those other places.. N.Babylon actually just opened up its second Starbucks, which is very good for a smaller town like that. Maybe you made a typo and actually mean North *Bellport*?

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 01-18-2014 at 10:29 AM..

Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
There's nothing wrong with North Babylon. I don't see why you listed it among those other places.. N.Babylon actually just opened up its second Starbucks, which is very good for a smaller town like that. Maybe you made a typo and actually mean North *Bellport*?
no, I was being a bit facetious with the last 2... although I would admit not being a fan of either North or West Babylon. Especially in context to Babylon proper. I'm also no fan of the SuffRiv up around RP/SB... I never bought into MP, Setauket, etc separating themselves from the Centereach/Farmingville pack up there. In the end I think the reality is that OP perceives Brentwood as the worst and I would lump it in with many other Suffolk communities.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:49 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Brentwood is not the worst.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,821 times
Lots of good, pertinent questions so far. Where are the answers we were promised?

Old 01-18-2014, 01:18 PM

60 posts, read 121,601 times
MrBitterness: No idea, I don't really go out looking for those kinds of things.

S.I.B.: Sorry I don't keep up with EPMD. I'm not* really a hip hop person.

shiftymh: Sorry to disappoint your narrow mind but I am not in a gang.

PrestigiousReputability: I would personally say that the areas in the North and East section of Brentwood are the best (North of Perry/Hewes St. and the area around the gold course). The area east of SCCC isn't too bad either. Most, if not all, of the houses are well kept and the people are very open and friendly with each other. Although if you do look at the city-data map, some of the more "richer" areas are in the southern section of the hamlet (incomes of 110,000-$120,000).

MikeyKid: Some people here would argue yes, some people would argue no. I don't perceive it to be the worst. Many times though it is made out to be.

Edit: Sorry for not multi-quoting.

Pinuzzo: No they are not and your joke of a post is horrible considering school shootings aren't a joking matter.

Edit: Sorry for not multi-quoting. Any more questions?

Last edited by ♦♣♠; 01-18-2014 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 01:38 PM

47 posts, read 98,434 times
These questions are funny. You'll get questions like that from people who refuse to step foot near it. We lived in brentwood for ten years and we went through high school there. We lived in the NE section, generally considered the nicer area, and it is. In the 10 years there, we never experienced crime. The neighborhood was full of hardworking, good people, just like you'd find anywhere else. My siblings and I all went off to college and are professional now. We've since moved on, but we have fond memories there.

Like anything else, you make the best of it and you have to make the right decisions for your life. I always thought Wyandanch and CI were worse than Brentwood though.

You'll find bigger crooks and criminals well beyond the confines of Brentwood, in the best school districts and most prestigious universities, companies, etc. Same with drug issues- sure there was fair share of weed going through the schools, but not nearly as hard of a drug as you'd find elsewhere on the island where they hide behind school prestige. But, such is life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island