Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:51 PM

7,817 posts, read 6,407,766 times

Advertisements

Are there really chickens on people's front lawns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 02:02 PM

530 posts, read 1,362,428 times
What's the difference btwn Brentwood and North Bay Shore?

(besides the name of course)

Old 01-19-2014, 03:12 PM

60 posts, read 121,827 times
SeventhFloor: According to City-data...

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in zip code 11717: 151.5 (very high, U.S. average is 100)
perty taxes paid for housing units in 2011:
This zip code: 1.8% ($5,973)
New York: 1.5% ($4,273)

Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2011: $6,015 (1.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2011: $5,784 (1.8%)

https://www.city-data.com/zips/11717.html#ixzz2qssfqLZC

Can't say how valid this is. I personally pay around $10,000.

I_Love_LI_but: Sure, I'll pm you!

Shiftymh: Surprisingly a "lot" (maybe a dozen or so) of people have chickens. Surprises me really. I'v seen them by the south Brentwood, North Bayshore (mosque area) sections. I don't know how many eggs these people expect to get.

PrestigiousReputability: Well first off population. The population of Brentwood is an astounding 60,600 (maybe more). A big problem we have actually are people sectioning their houses off and keeping 4, 5, heck even 6 families in a 4 bedroom house. As you can imagine this would annoy a great deal of people. Crime wise I would also argue that Brentwood, a good portion of it at least, is safer then North Bay Shore. There are a great deal of more differences that you can find st from looking on this site.

Any more questions?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,229,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
What's the difference btwn Brentwood and North Bay Shore?

(besides the name of course)
Walter Greenspan would've been all over this.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:12 PM

14 posts, read 25,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♦♣♠ View Post
It is no secret that the hamlet of Brentwood has arguably the worst reputation in Suffolk county. However I have lived here for decades, gone to the public schools and graduated top of my class while meeting some of the brightest people. This thread is a sort of an ask me anything, but the questions should be centered around life living here. There are lots of stereotypes and generalizations on how the people behave, how incredibly bad the schools are and how incredibly huge the gang problems are. So, just ask a question and I will try to answer it to the best of my abilities. We may not be "crown jewel" of the Island, but we are not nearly as bad as some people make us out to be (looking at you Buffalo)

Ex of a question: How safe is it at night to go out?

Answer: Well, I often go out for a walk or jog around 10-11 and have never had any troubles. Next Question?
I grew up there and still live there and have had no problems or fears of living here. I think the stereotypes are way over exagerated and spread around by people who do not live here. On a few occasions were I have out of town guest, yes the questioned me as if they thought something was going to happen and then after being here realized how rediculous their fears were. The block is basically quiet, no one is bothering anyone, few kids but they mainly play in their back or front yards. I treat Brentwood as i would any other place, just use common sense and street smarts. I'm sure if I was walking around in a "good" neighborhood and presented someone with "opportunity" (my wallet halfway hanging out my pocket) well there would be a good chance of it getting taken no matter were I am. Do people really think ohh in such and such neighborhood that no crime or some undesireable behavior does not happen. I guess they must as when you see a news report on TV were neighbors get interviewed and say ohh my gosh I never thought it would happen in my neighborhood or that person seemed like such a quiet to themself type of person. It's not like real estate agents are saying, well you have a shady background so let's find a nice house for you in Brentwood or CI, etc. etc. I still see some of the same families living in the same house as from when I moved here in 1975 and it seems they have not been scared out of the neighborhood and i am not talking "minority" people either.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Where would you say is the nicest part of Brentwood and the worst part of Brentwood?
IMO, I like the scenery and non typical houses along Brentwood PKWY were the streets have the island in the middle. I also like the large older houses just east of the high school and south of the library but thats my preference because of the style of houses. I never did like the "regis park" area as i thought the houses were too small and most have no garages. Yeah i know years ago I saw people openly selling drugs on the street but in more recent years when I dated someone in that area, I didn't see any of that and never in 7 years had any issues with hanging out in that area.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,542,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♦♣♠ View Post
It is no secret that the hamlet of Brentwood has arguably the worst reputation in Suffolk county. However I have lived here for decades, gone to the public schools and graduated top of my class while meeting some of the brightest people. This thread is a sort of an ask me anything, but the questions should be centered around life living here. There are lots of stereotypes and generalizations on how the people behave, how incredibly bad the schools are and how incredibly huge the gang problems are. So, just ask a question and I will try to answer it to the best of my abilities. We may not be "crown jewel" of the Island, but we are not nearly as bad as some people make us out to be (looking at you Buffalo)

Ex of a question: How safe is it at night to go out?

Answer: Well, I often go out for a walk or jog around 10-11 and have never had any troubles. Next Question?
"How safe is it at night to go out"
If that's even a question or questionable, Or even came to someone's mind, I really don't think I'd want to live there.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:27 PM

530 posts, read 1,362,428 times
Where's Regis park?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 PM

[quote=MrBitterness;33081077]What are some of the fancier restaurants in Brentwood? If I wanted to take my wife on a date to Brentwood where should we go?[/quote

just south of casa vieja, I do not know the name now or the nationaily but it used to be called the island breeze, it was portuguese at the time I went there (across from the convent). that was a nice place I enjoyed. There is another portuguese place in or by the train station parking lot, if it's still the same, several people told me the food was good. There is Mario Pollo (columbian), I think it's called across from pathmark which is also good and fast service.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Other than the obvious (graffiti, unkept buildings), I think what makes a neighborhood "feel" dangerous is when there are full grown adults just loitering on the streets, street corners, and in front of shops. Instead of people going somewhere with a purpose, you can potentially be a target for a group of people standing around. Gang mentality even if they're not a gang. Is there any or a lot of that [when it's warm enough]?
The loitering has always been my biggest issue especially when it's done by adult men during working hours as in shouldn't they be working. I have never been bothered by them other then the occasional someone asking for spare change or something but of course i am not digging into my pockets or wallet for some stranger (common sense as mentioned in another post on this thread, I am not going to put myself in a situation to get taken by someone).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island