Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 PM

74 posts, read 555,006 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone here has replaced their dehumidifier with a wave ventilation system? If so are you happy with it. Seems like a lot of money and wondering if it works well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,393 times
Wow, no replies on the Wave Ventilation system....

My basement, while dry (ie., no leaks or standing water), had a moisture problem causing odors and mildew. The dehumidifier was run night and day during the humid summer months, adding expense to the already astronomical LIPA bill. This was with an energy star rated dehumidifier, but it was still like running an extra air conditioner.

My problem was the basement had been finished by slapping drywall over faced fiberglass batting, with no vapor barrier between the poured concrete foundation and the materials. I ripped down the drywall and trashed the stinky batting. What happens is moisture from the foundation seeps into the batting, which is great for mold and mildew, since it's cool and dark.

After demo'g the walls, I covered all of the concrete surfaces with 3/4" EPS, including the floor. The seams on the EPS were sealed using wrap tape. On the walls, 3" unfaced batting was inserted into the stud cavity and on the floor, two layers of 1/2" plywood were used as a sheathing. I sealed every gap in the drywall with closed-cell foam or caulk.

Today, the basement is as warm as the rest of the house, totally odor free. In the winter, it provides a heating benefit, since the cool air from basement is not being sucked up through-out the house. It's warmer during the summer as well, but the mildewy smell is not present and humidity is far lower.

Yes, it's a big job and yes, it's messy. But it's cost-effective and can be done by anyone who can sheetrock.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 AM

74 posts, read 555,006 times
Thanks but that does not answer my question about purchasing a wave ventilation system at www.mydryhome.com. I too spend a ton running the dehumidifier and was considering purchasing one of these but they are very costly.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 AM

125 posts, read 462,589 times
I've been considering getting one of these units, but have yet to get a quote. Have you gotten a quote yet? I'd be interested in knowing how much they are going for. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 AM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times
Check out This Old House thread on the wave ventilation system.

https://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=7497

It looks like you can build your own system for $200. or less.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseligson View Post
Thanks but that does not answer my question about purchasing a wave ventilation system at www.mydryhome.com. I too spend a ton running the dehumidifier and was considering purchasing one of these but they are very costly.
Nope, you're right, I did not answer your question about the Wave Ventilation system. But I think I addressed the same problem you're having, that is creating a dryer environment in your basement. Ventilation systems work by evacuating moist air, but if you're pulling in more moist air, what's the difference. Insulating the basement and adding a moisture barrier will create a dryer environment.

Any way, if you google the product, you'll find people who have researched it and come up with their own ventilation systems at a fraction of the cost.

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 AM

406 posts, read 874,577 times
Can you use a window A/C as a dehumidifier in a basement?

Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Stop the moisture from coming in...

1) Extend all gutters away from house
2) Build up soil and slope it away from house
3) Put 2 coats of dry lock over all the walls and floor

This will fix your problems...unless you have a underground river or spring directly under your house.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
Here is one video and there are some more on Youtube

Wave Home Solutions - Wave Ventilation (long version) - YouTube

Old 10-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Stop the moisture from coming in...

1) Extend all gutters away from house
2) Build up soil and slope it away from house
3) Put 2 coats of dry lock over all the walls and floor

This will fix your problems...unless you have a underground river or spring directly under your house.
You advice is good. Many basements on LI are just damp, mildewy and moldy because the concrete used for cinder block or poured foundation never really dries out. If your external foundation was back-filled with clay and hard-scrabble dirt, the moisture that is present will not go very far.

Dry-loc has its fans and it's detractors. I've heard it will fail in situations with hydro-static pressure and under normal situations, it traps water in the concrete where it stays, degrading the concrete.

If you check the latest building codes, the best way to go is with a foam layer right on the concrete. Since it's not totally impermeable, moisture can evaporate, but it still functions as a vapor block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island