Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 AM

449 posts, read 1,133,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
The lower number streets are mostly Black? Are you sure?

Block by Block racial demographics/mapping;
2010 Census Interactive Population Map
(^^ It says the area is overwhelmingly white)

OP: You really have nothing to worry about in terms of safety, especially in that town. A few neighborhoods on Long Island may be a little more worn than others but the island is still overwhelmingly safe (even in the areas considered not as good). Don't worry about safety, use common-sense and I promise everything will go well. Good luck
Oh, it's what I've heard. Maybe the area has a lot of illegal apartments inhabited by non-whites? May I ask what is the demographic for the areas near Zahn's Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,331,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
Oh, it's what I've heard. Maybe the area has a lot of illegal apartments inhabited by non-whites? May I ask what is the demographic for the areas near Zahn's Park?
I'm not sure where Zahn's Park is. I searched it up on Google Maps but I still couldn't find it.

It should show the demographics of that area on the link I posted. It breaks it down block by block.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 AM

909 posts, read 1,838,100 times
my brother lives on S 7th and the block is mostly white with a couple spanish families mixed in.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
my brother lives on S 7th and the block is mostly white with a couple spanish families mixed in.
Spanish people are white and so are many Hispanic people.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:21 AM

516 posts, read 1,076,811 times
The low number streets being talked about are in the area of RT 109 and are north of the park, the low number streets like N.7th, S.5th etc are in the heart of the village and are fine.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
The low number streets being talked about are in the area of RT 109 and are north of the park ...
A map of the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County:

North Lindenhurst is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the community name in their mailing address: most places in the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address; a small area has an "Amityville, NY 11701" mailing address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
... the low number streets like N.7th, S.5th etc are in the heart of the village and are fine.
A map of the Village of Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County:

The Village of Lindenhurst has a different border than does the "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address and not be in the Village of Lindenhurst and a place can have other than a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address and be in the Village of Lindenhurst): places that have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lindenhurst are in the the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst, the Hamlet of West Babylon, the Hamlet of Copiague and the Hamlet of North Amityville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Lindenhurst with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:26 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,261,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie424 View Post
My husband and I are interested in a house we saw in Lindenhurst. Is Lindenhurst considered to be a safe town? Is there minimal crime? Are there certain areas we should steer clear of? Thank you!
Both North Lindenhurst and especially Lindenhurst are pretty safe. And there is nothing wrong with the Zahn's park area of North Lindenhurst - its all block after block of single family homes, not "lots of illegal apartments", as someone said. Nor is there anything wrong with the Venice section of Copiague like someone said.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Both North Lindenhurst and especially Lindenhurst are pretty safe. And there is nothing wrong with the Zahn's park area of North Lindenhurst - its all block after block of single family homes, not "lots of illegal apartments", as someone said. Nor is there anything wrong with the Venice section of Copiague like someone said.
No one said there were lots of illegal apartments near Zahn's Park.
However there are a lot of illegal apartments in Venice.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,261,443 times
Quote:
No one said there were lots of illegal apartments near Zahn's Park.
However there are a lot of illegal apartments in Venice.
Yeah, you did.

Quote:
If you are looking into North Lindenhurst, stay clear of the area around Zahn's Park. I also hear a lot of negatives about the area west/south of route 109, north of straight path, and east of the central branch line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie424 View Post
Thank you for your response! Where is Zahn Park located?

Would this area be the area that has 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th St, etc??
Quote:
I personally think the 40's streets are worse than the lower numbers.
Quote:
The lower number streets are mostly Black? Are you sure?

Block by Block racial demographics/mapping;
2010 Census Interactive Population Map
(^^ It says the area is overwhelmingly white)

OP: You really have nothing to worry about in terms of safety. Just about all of Long Island is safe, even in the few areas considered questionable. Just use common-sense and I promise everything will go well. Good luck
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure where Zahn's Park is. I searched it up on Google Maps but I still couldn't find it.

It should show the demographics of that area on the link I posted. It breaks it down block by block.
And if not illegal apartments, then what exactly are you warning people about??? You are spreading rumours about places in North Lindenhurst, Copiague and Lindenhurst (lower # streets). To people not familar with the Zahn's park area, this is the 40's section that is west of the CVS Pharmacy at Wellwood and Straight Path. I never saw or heard anything wrong with this area.

Last edited by LINative; 02-05-2012 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-05-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yeah, you did.

And if not illegal apartments, then what exactly are you warning people about??? You are spreading rumours about places in North Lindenhurst, Copiague and Lindenhurst (lower # streets). To people not familar with the Zahn's park area, this is the 40's section that is west of the CVS Pharmacy at Wellwood and Straight Path. I never saw or heard anything wrong with this area.
I said the LOWER NUMBER streets in North Lindenhurst streets might have a lot of illegal apartments. When I say the area near Zahn's Park I'm talking about the 40's streets. My problem with that area is that there was a shooting there in July that went VERY unnoticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island