Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 02:08 PM

87 posts, read 559,334 times

Advertisements

Sorry for another home heating oil question but this one is slightly different.

Calling around (late this year) the prices seem the same. I know that Petro is trying to monopolize the heating oil sector or at least it seems.

Does anyone know which smaller companies they own? I know Slomins is owned by them. Where else could I find out this information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 02:48 PM

159 posts, read 408,314 times
I don't think Slomins is connected to Petro. However Petro does own Meenan Oil and Lewis Energy. Petro is part of Star Gas Partners.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 PM

465 posts, read 1,709,392 times
My mom just signed up for Meenan, the tech said they are owned by Petro along with Lewis and that Petro was looking to buy Slomins, not sure if this is 100% but that what the tech said

Old 12-02-2011, 04:25 PM

87 posts, read 559,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelmo View Post
I don't think Slomins is connected to Petro. However Petro does own Meenan Oil and Lewis Energy. Petro is part of Star Gas Partners.
Ah, you are correct. It was Meenan.

I only wish I had a clue how to fix some of the minor things with a burner and could have piece of mind outside of a contract and go COD. I wanted to get the neighbors on board and forgot about it.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,260 times
Best COD company from experience… Oil for Less. Mike is the owner. Serves Long Island.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,260 times
Best COD oil delivery company from experience is Oil for,Less. Owner is Mike. Serves,LI. Based out of Glen Cove area

Old 05-30-2023, 07:40 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI BraveOne View Post
Sorry for another home heating oil question but this one is slightly different.

Calling around (late this year) the prices seem the same. I know that Petro is trying to monopolize the heating oil sector or at least it seems.

Does anyone know which smaller companies they own? I know Slomins is owned by them. Where else could I find out this information?
More like who DOESNT Petro own

Old 05-30-2023, 03:07 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
we had a long relationship with a small company (Manor Fuel) that was located in Huntington Station. they had about 3500 customers, only a few technicians. Usually the same tech came to perform our yearly tune up. We always received a decent price on oil- about 25 cents below the current NYSERDA listing for Long Island for that particular week of delivery. And a free high tier contract for the first seven years, then a golden high tier contract for $99 yearly.
Manor was purchased by Englemann Energy and our pricing gradually changed to the current NYSERDA listing for that particular week of delivery, the contract price went to a few hundred /year for mid tier contract.
Petro purchased Englemann. now I'm paying at least 50 cents a gallon over the weekly NYSERDA listing, their logic being "it costs us money to deliver product to your home". I now negotiate a low tier contract (we have a new burner/boiler) for $150 or so.
I have no complaints about the customer service at Petro - it's 24/7 and you always get someone on the line, and they come quickly for issues.
My gripe is their pricing - always close or at the negotiated ceiling price even if it's a dollar lower for diesel at the gas station.

Old 06-03-2023, 11:08 AM

19 posts, read 19,302 times
General utilities whom I have an account with is also owned by Petro. Agree with the above poster about their experience with them. Petro is excellent at customer service and getting a quick response to problems, but they are expensive for deliveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island