Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,800,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
The ferry is free, since 1996. Imagine something actually got cheaper.
When the MTA introduced the Metrocard, they wanted to make all of NYC a one-fare zone. Prior to this, coming from SI, you paid the bus/train fare, ferry fare, then subway/bus fare in Manhattan. (3 fares) Now the MetroCard gives you a train/bus ride on both sides of the harbor for the same fare, and they worked out some arrangement with the City of NY to eliminate the ferry fare to make it a true one-fare zone.

This however doesnt have you escape the $13 one way toll at the VNB.

Come to think of it, you cant get off Staten Island by bridge for free, but have to pay on the way in, its like the cover charge at a club.
So here I am, Joe Blow business owner on LI, whose employees and business do not use any MTA services, yet I am paying the quarterly MTA tax which partially subsidizes ferry service for those who have to get too and fro onto Staten Island because of a deal struck with the City of NY???

And -- can anyone explain to me why I saw the Staten Island ferry leaving Bridgeport harbor last Wednesday afternoon? I have never seen it before in all my crossings -- there's no mistaking a large, yellow vessel with the words "Staten Island Ferry" painted on it's side for anything but that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMgoody View Post
Because I enjoy the suburbs, living 22 years in the city takes a toll on you. Especially in apartment buildings, after you live in a house its hard to go back to a apartment.

Also if you work in Manhattan, you usually don't want to live there. I only like dealing with snobby wall street people, or tourists walking all over my feet 8 hours out of the day. I like the peace and quiet in the suburbs which you usually only find in Brooklyn, Queens, or LI.
Fair enough, but I find it hard to believe that the boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens(familiar only with Bayside & Forest Hills/Forest Hills Gardens) can be quiet and peaceful like their suburban counterparts in Nassau and Suffolk. My folks left the BX when I was young, so I really don't have a memory as to how noisy that was on the GC. I can appreciate the fact that living in a single family house is far more peaceful than an apartment. (Unless one has children -- aaack!)

Old 08-17-2011, 02:54 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,932,304 times
cost me $10 in tolls to get into Boston. Not bad. $15 won't be that bad either. I can understand for daily commuters this will be tough though.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,676,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
So here I am, Joe Blow business owner on LI, whose employees and business do not use any MTA services, yet I am paying the quarterly MTA tax which partially subsidizes ferry service for those who have to get too and fro onto Staten Island because of a deal struck with the City of NY???

And -- can anyone explain to me why I saw the Staten Island ferry leaving Bridgeport harbor last Wednesday afternoon? I have never seen it before in all my crossings -- there's no mistaking a large, yellow vessel with the words "Staten Island Ferry" painted on it's side for anything but that.
No I didn't say that the MTA subsdizes the SI Ferry, in fact there was no exchange of money, purely political gain. BTW did you know that the City actually OWNS the subway system? Any anger for the MTA tax should be aimed squarely where it belongs, the NYS Legislature.

As for the ferry being in Bridgeport, it was more than likely one of the 1965 Kennedy class boats (JFK, American Legion, Herbert Lehmman), the following two are retired, and either being scrapped, or converted to other use, The Lehman was actually on ebay in February.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:24 PM

This was what the one I saw looked like:
Staten Island Ferry in Bridgeport CT | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cemeteryrodeo/5949178298/ - broken link)
It wasn't docked when I saw it -- it was under power having just left the harbor headed west and crossed the path of the PJ Ferry I was on.

I supposed they are being taken in for service at the boatyard there?

Old 08-18-2011, 04:38 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,676,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This was what the one I saw looked like:
Staten Island Ferry in Bridgeport CT | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cemeteryrodeo/5949178298/ - broken link)
It wasn't docked when I saw it -- it was under power having just left the harbor headed west and crossed the path of the PJ Ferry I was on.

I supposed they are being taken in for service at the boatyard there?
It's the John A. Noble, one of two 1986 ferry boats that carry only abt 1,280 passengers (tiny), it's there having some pollution control system installed. Those two boats (the other is the Alice Austin) are barely used because they are so small. So why they're spending money on retrofitting one of those is beyond me. But here is the Article.

As for the 1965 boats:
John F Kennedy - Still in limited service when extra boats are needed
American Legion - Scrapped
Herbert H. Lehman - In Newburgh, NY undergoing some conversion.

Johnson Matthey to Provide SCR Systems for the John A. Noble Staten Island Ferry to

Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
It's the John A. Noble, one of two 1986 ferry boats that carry only abt 1,280 passengers (tiny), it's there having some pollution control system installed. Those two boats (the other is the Alice Austin) are barely used because they are so small. So why they're spending money on retrofitting one of those is beyond me. But here is the Article.

As for the 1965 boats:
John F Kennedy - Still in limited service when extra boats are needed
American Legion - Scrapped
Herbert H. Lehman - In Newburgh, NY undergoing some conversion.

Johnson Matthey to Provide SCR Systems for the John A. Noble Staten Island Ferry to
Thank you for the answer. It was very odd to see on the Sound.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:47 AM

305 posts, read 612,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Wow, just wow.
Ok, so they propose such a huge increase so everyone can agree on a middle ground and go from $8 to $12 and not $15 and be happy about it ?

This is nuts !! Will be waiting for the veto.
Come September 2, I will have to pay that toll only once and never again. Good Bye to high taxes!

Old 08-18-2011, 03:05 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,350,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
Come September 2, I will have to pay that toll only once and never again. Good Bye to high taxes!
Where are you headed mate ?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,350,566 times
Enjoy everyone !

NY-NJ Port Authority OKs lower fare/toll hikes | Reuters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island