Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,800,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMgoody View Post
This is one of main reasons im moving out of ny. If you like to drive in ny, you're screwed.
Im surprised more people don't complain about the toll prices. They've doubled in price in 3 years.
People drive all over NY without issues. I drive back and forth between the NYS border and VT and the NYS border and MA and have no issues. It's paying to leave LI that stinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:34 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,249,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The cash toll would go up to $15, but the EZ-Pass toll would only go to $12.

The thing is that some of the crossings have no alternatives (you have to drive. You can't take a bus or train), so there's a captive audience.

And even on the bridges/tunnels that do have alternatives, they don't work for a lot of people. Sure, you can take a bus across the GW Bridge if you work in Manhattan or the western Bronx (just transfer to a subway or bus), but you pretty much have to drive if you're going to New England.

1) It's the Port Authority doing this, not the MTA.

2) Both agencies use the surplus from the bridges to subsidize transit and their projects (the Port Authority is using the toll money to subsidize the new World Trade Center site, and originally used it to fund the old one)

3) The MTA had their books checked twice, and they didn't find anything either time. (And the politician who accused them was later found guilty of his own scandal later on)
did you realize that you said "only go to $12" ??

Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,676,184 times
Quote:
The cash toll would go up to $15, but the EZ-Pass toll would only go to $12.
The PA bridges between SI & NJ aren't worth $12

Old 08-17-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:

1) It's the Port Authority doing this, not the MTA.

2) Both agencies use the surplus from the bridges to subsidize transit and their projects (the Port Authority is using the toll money to subsidize the new World Trade Center site, and originally used it to fund the old one)

3) The MTA had their books checked twice, and they didn't find anything either time. (And the politician who accused them was later found guilty of his own scandal later on)
2. Shouldn't the multiple insurance cliams cover this?

3. Priceless, the pot is always calling the kettle black.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:41 AM

939 posts, read 2,315,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
3. Priceless, the pot is always calling the kettle black.
i've found that the person screaming loudest about corruption in other peoples houses usually does not have his house in order... (hevesi, spitzer)

Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM

152 posts, read 156,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
People drive all over NY without issues. I drive back and forth between the NYS border and VT and the NYS border and MA and have no issues. It's paying to leave LI that stinks.
Yea I live in long island also. I moved here from Bronx.
I can't date any woman outside of li, queens or BK just because tolls.
Bronx is only 20 minutes from Nassau if you go over the throgsneck or whitestone, but its avoided because its a 13 dollar round trip.
Do you know how frustrating it is going to a club or bar and getting a hot chicks number, to find out she lives in bx, Harlem, Washington heights, Staten Island, Westchester and basically know right away it can't work out because the tolls will kill your relationship.

There's even a 13 dollar round trip to take the midtown tunnel.. to go into Manhattan. Yes I know you can take queensboro for free. But the traffic on the qb usually makes it more a hassel to take when you have to get into Manhattan in a hurry.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,800,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMgoody View Post
Yea I live in long island also. I moved here from Bronx.
I can't date any woman outside of li, queens or BK just because tolls.
Bronx is only 20 minutes from Nassau if you go over the throgsneck or whitestone, but its avoided because its a 13 dollar round trip.
Do you know how frustrating it is going to a club or bar and getting a hot chicks number, to find out she lives in bx, Harlem, Washington heights, Staten Island, Westchester and basically know right away it can't work out because the tolls will kill your relationship.

There's even a 13 dollar round trip to take the midtown tunnel.. to go into Manhattan. Yes I know you can take queensboro for free. But the traffic on the qb usually makes it more a hassel to take when you have to get into Manhattan in a hurry.
(People live on LI -- that in/on thing is a pet peeve among LIers.)

Not my intention to sound snotty, just curious, why you moved from the BX -- especially if you work/party/socialize in NYC? Sounds like your move put a little crimp in your lifestyle.

As far as potential hotties on SI, aren't there tolls or ferry fares associated with traveling there, too?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
As far as potential hotties on SI, aren't there tolls or ferry fares associated with traveling there, too?
The ferry is free, since 1996. Imagine something actually got cheaper.
When the MTA introduced the Metrocard, they wanted to make all of NYC a one-fare zone. Prior to this, coming from SI, you paid the bus/train fare, ferry fare, then subway/bus fare in Manhattan. (3 fares) Now the MetroCard gives you a train/bus ride on both sides of the harbor for the same fare, and they worked out some arrangement with the City of NY to eliminate the ferry fare to make it a true one-fare zone.

This however doesnt have you escape the $13 one way toll at the VNB.

Come to think of it, you cant get off Staten Island by bridge for free, but have to pay on the way in, its like the cover charge at a club.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:18 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,098,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
The ferry is free, since 1996. Imagine something actually got cheaper.
When the MTA introduced the Metrocard, they wanted to make all of NYC a one-fare zone. Prior to this, coming from SI, you paid the bus/train fare, ferry fare, then subway/bus fare in Manhattan. (3 fares) Now the MetroCard gives you a train/bus ride on both sides of the harbor for the same fare, and they worked out some arrangement with the City of NY to eliminate the ferry fare to make it a true one-fare zone.

This however doesnt have you escape the $13 one way toll at the VNB.

Come to think of it, you cant get off Staten Island by bridge for free, but have to pay on the way in, its like the cover charge at a club.
have to move off of Staten island and never come back, and skip out on that one way toll, that will fix em

seriously these tolls are ridiculous. Oh and by the way other options stink too...just an example next week I have to be in Long Island for the day from CT, driving would be horrendous, Bridgeport ferry one way with my vehicle is $53.00 Geeze.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:25 PM

152 posts, read 156,497 times
Quote:
(People live on LI -- that in/on thing is a pet peeve among LIers.)

Not my intention to sound snotty, just curious, why you moved from the BX -- especially if you work/party/socialize in NYC? Sounds like your move put a little crimp in your lifestyle.

Because I enjoy the suburbs, living 22 years in the city takes a toll on you. Especially in apartment buildings, after you live in a house its hard to go back to a apartment.

Also if you work in Manhattan, you usually don't want to live there. I only like dealing with snobby wall street people, or tourists walking all over my feet 8 hours out of the day. I like the peace and quiet in the suburbs which you usually only find in Brooklyn, Queens, or LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island