Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 AM

158 posts, read 380,516 times

Advertisements

I am in Suffolk, but did live in Mineola for 20 years. I have enjoyed many events at the Coliseum. I would vote no, not because it's not a good real estate investment, but because it's not a good 30-year investment in Wang. He has no idea on how to run the team or the building. Why does he get to be the GM of the property? I feel the same way about the Wilpons.

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:36 AM

236 posts, read 474,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsuggestion View Post
I am in Suffolk, but did live in Mineola for 20 years. I have enjoyed many events at the Coliseum. I would vote no, not because it's not a good real estate investment, but because it's not a good 30-year investment in Wang. He has no idea on how to run the team or the building. Why does he get to be the GM of the property? I feel the same way about the Wilpons.

Matt
He isn't. Nassau will still own the building and all rights to development.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Both the Daily News and the Post ran articles about this and have more facts than I do. I recall a big point being that the loss of a stadium rarely impacts local businesses - peoples' entertainment budgets are generally finite, and if there is no stadium they just spend their money elsewhere in the community. Conversely, if you do build the stadium, it just sucks up money that would be spent elsewhere, it doesn't magically create new entertainment spending.
Well, if anyone in Nassau County ever has a hankering to see a concert or take their kids to see a show, they'll have to spend their money in Brooklyn, Manhattan or Newark, because there won't be any place to "spend their money in the community."

And that money they saved in tax increases will be offset by their train/toll expenses in traveling to said events.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 AM

158 posts, read 380,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC51 View Post
He isn't. Nassau will still own the building and all rights to development.
The 30-year lease includes Wang running the building and making profits for all events.

Matt

Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsuggestion View Post
The 30-year lease includes Wang running the building for all events.

Matt
I know. He runs all events now. So what's the problem?

Running operations and owning the building are two different things.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:35 AM

150 posts, read 298,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC51 View Post
Well, if anyone in Nassau County ever has a hankering to see a concert or take their kids to see a show, they'll have to spend their money in Brooklyn, Manhattan or Newark, because there won't be any place to "spend their money in the community."

And that money they saved in tax increases will be offset by their train/toll expenses in traveling to said events.
Exactly, $40 a year or LIRR tickets to MSG or Brooklyn and a blight in the middle of the county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Once the Jets committed to the Meadowlands there was no chance they were going to stay on LI. And where was the significant economic benefit to the county of the Jets maintaining operations in Nassau?

The Jets tangible benefits to the community? You don't think that the Jets former practice facility brought in money to Nassau county? Lol, tough to argue I guess when you don't see that. Maybe you should go talk to the Hofstra football staff who went out of work when the Jets left. How many local jobs did that cost?

Old 07-29-2011, 12:18 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,768,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLists09 View Post
The Jets tangible benefits to the community? You don't think that the Jets former practice facility brought in money to Nassau county?
I'm sure it brought in some money. After all, the players had to eat and fill up their gas tanks. But beyond that, how much did it really help? The Jets' agreement to use the facility was with Hofstra...not with the county.

Do you have any actual details or facts?

Quote:
Maybe you should go talk to the Hofstra football staff who went out of work when the Jets left. How many local jobs did that cost?
Are you talking about the University disbanding its football team? If so, that's a completely different issue.

If you're talking about the Jets' team employees who may have been living on LI, we're talking about a very limited number of people. A football team doesn't employ THAT many people.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:19 PM

24 posts, read 60,641 times
vote NO

Old 07-29-2011, 12:48 PM

2,630 posts, read 5,001,568 times
I feel my arm being twisted to vote yes. If not, instead of an arena, my tax dollars will just go to subsidize some other politically connected developer putting in 55+ condos and Kate Murray with a shovel and hardhat and a big ridiculous grin. Why is TOH not villified more for politically blocking the private development of the arena? Why no public referendum on that one?! Would have won a landslide. Hofstra was in, NCCC was in, dems, repubs. Just the crony filled, corrupt, good for nothing TOH govt looking a piece of the pie and politcal points. Check the employment roster of TOH. Reads like a who's who list of family and friends. It's sickening. A shelter that abuses animals and a building dept that abuses and extorts homeowners while it's employees skirt the regs without penalty. Do we really need a massive layer of govt to block development, decimate Hempstead Turnpike, run a lightbulb recycling program and make idiotic speeches at the opening day of snoopy soccer?! Can't the cub scouts handle all of that!?!

Seriously, has anyone SEEN the ghost town Hempstead Turnpike has become from East Meadow to Farmingdale. HOW do these clowns get re-elected time after time after time?!

Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,674,629 times
Does it surpise anybody else that Wang is claiming the Islanders lose money? What I have read is that the Islanders pull in ~$60mil in revenue and players salaries are ~$35mil - that leaves ~$25 mil to offset the rest of the costs associated with all Islanders. Since Wang purchased the Islanders in 2000 for $131mil it can't be debt service.

Could it be LI does not provide enough of a fan-base for an NHL hockey team? According to Forbes they only sell out 67% of the coliseum - last in the league - yet there are teams that have worse or equivalent 3-5 year win-loss records that sellout at much higher percentages.

I don't that a new coliseum is going to change the Islander's finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island