Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLists09 View Post
Vote no, then you can remember fondly those days where you saw the Islanders, the circus, the carnival, big name concerts, car shows, boat shows, camper shows, job fairs etc...
if a profitable building can be built to host all of those events, then someone else will want to build it. Wang isn't the only billionaire on the block. Let him sell the team to someone else then. If nobody emerges, what does that tell you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 AM

150 posts, read 297,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
if a profitable building can be built to host all of those events, then someone else will want to build it. Wang isn't the only billionaire on the block. Let him sell the team to someone else then. If nobody emerges, what does that tell you?
Why would another billionaire want to deal with the red tape that everyone has seen Wang deal with? He tried to buy the property to build an arena and develop further, he was turned down. Now he gets an arena and no rights to develop anything else on the property, Nassau County does.

But another person is going to come in and do what exactly that's different that Kate Murray will back?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Vote yes under the clause that Kate Murray pays for it.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Why would another billionaire want to deal with the red tape that everyone has seen Wang deal with? He tried to buy the property to build an arena and develop further, he was turned down. Now he gets an arena and no rights to develop anything else on the property, Nassau County does.
he's also getting the arena paid for by the county. Let's not overlook that...it's kind of a key issue.

But another person is going to come in and do what exactly that's different that Kate Murray will back?[/quote]
if you're just replacing the arena then Murray can't say anything. If this thing is guaranteed to be profitable, then there will be a long line of rich folks looking to buy the team and build a new arena.

Of course, new stadiums and arenas have historically been VERY bad investments for local municipalities. And Nassau county is historically about as inept and corrupt as you can get.

What can possibly go wrong?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
I am voting yes.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 AM

150 posts, read 297,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
he's also getting the arena paid for by the county. Let's not overlook that...it's kind of a key issue.
You're still suffering from misinformation. Wang will not own the new Coliseum, Nassau County will. Wang will not own the surrounding area, Nassau County will.

And the county is going to get back 11.5% of revenues for 30 years. I think maybe Nassau County can make back the 400 million and then some.

Do you think that Nassau County and its residents came out ahead too when we lost the Jets and their relationship to Long Island when they opted for New Jersey. I wonder if we'll ever hear numbers on that.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 AM

11 posts, read 22,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I am voting yes.
Me too

Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
You're still suffering from misinformation. Wang will not own the new Coliseum, Nassau County will. Wang will not own the surrounding area, Nassau County will.
You're suffering from reading comprehension issues. I never said Wang would own the building.

Quote:
And the county is going to get back 11.5% of revenues for 30 years. I think maybe Nassau County can make back the 400 million and then some.
And of course you've done a detailed financial analysis of all of this.

Quote:
Do you think that Nassau County and its residents came out ahead too when we lost the Jets and their relationship to Long Island when they opted for New Jersey. I wonder if we'll ever hear numbers on that.
Not really the same on many levels. Once the Jets committed to the Meadowlands there was no chance they were going to stay on LI. And where was the significant economic benefit to the county of the Jets maintaining operations in Nassau?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:10 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Quote:

Why do you think that? The rosy projections offered by Wang & his paid PR people are based on Islanders attendance rising something like 79%. Yeah f'n right. Stadium ticket sales are driven by corporations, not moms and dads taking their kid to a game once a year. That's why Yankee Stadium is so profitable. Although that business model sucks for people who just want to see a game, it's damn profitable for the team.

The Islanders are a mediocre team with little drawing power and little corporate interest since hockey is an unpopular, money-losing sport to begin with. They're not going to increase attendance that dramatically, and we're going to be stuck paying a lot more than $40 a year when the crowds fail to materialize.

Both the Daily News and the Post ran articles about this and have more facts than I do. I recall a big point being that the loss of a stadium rarely impacts local businesses - peoples' entertainment budgets are generally finite, and if there is no stadium they just spend their money elsewhere in the community. Conversely, if you do build the stadium, it just sucks up money that would be spent elsewhere, it doesn't magically create new entertainment spending.

The time to do this was when Wang and his investors proposed a privately-funded complex. It's too bad that opportunity was lost, but it's not up to the taxpayers to make it up now.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:19 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Why do you think that? The rosy projections offered by Wang & his paid PR people are based on Islanders attendance rising something like 79%. Yeah f'n right. Stadium ticket sales are driven by corporations, not moms and dads taking their kid to a game once a year. That's why Yankee Stadium is so profitable. Although that business model sucks for people who just want to see a game, it's damn profitable for the team.
Bingo. There is no way attendance is going to rise that much. I don't live in Nassau, so I don't have a stake in this, but most of my family does and they are all voting no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island