Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:16 AM

5 posts, read 11,499 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I tried registering my 2003 Expedition that I bought 2.5 years ago in PA while I was stationed there, I paid PA state tax on it, registered it, and drove it in PA. Moved back to LI after HD, and the PA reg expired. To my dismay, as I hand the DMV associate my PA title, she asks me for a bill of sale. Confused, I asked what it was needed for and that's when she told me something that really turned me off, "You have to pay tax on your truck".

I began explaining that I had already paid PA tax on the vehicle, and that it was once registered in PA. She told me that since I didn't have a PA drivers license, I was still a NYS resident and shouldn't have paid PA state tax. My license expired in 2007 and I bought the truck in 2009, but I carried around my expired DL with an extension affidavit that I didn't file for. It was just something that I printed off of the NYS DMV site. I called the tags and titles office that I registered my truck and this is what the lady told me:

-You have to pay tax on a vehicle in order to register it in PA
-I was considered a PA state resident
-After a year of ownership in PA, I wouldn't have to pay tax for it in NY (?)

So as it stands now, I am in a bad position because I don't have the $1,000 to register my vehicle and even if I did, I refuse to pay it because I already paid taxes on it. Is there some sort of loop hole that I can go through to register with out having to pay tax twice on it?

I am aware that there is a tax deferment where I can claim the tax that I already paid and pay the difference, but I still don't think it's fair or even right that I have to pay tax when I didn't even pay NYS tax while I served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,809,172 times
welcome back to new york.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:25 AM

Yeah, that's how I felt as well.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:15 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,501,775 times
Should have just kept the PA tags like everyone else

Old 07-22-2011, 06:16 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,736,530 times
That vehicle will be taxed by NYS for each successive owner who registers it.

BTW -- the 2nd year of registration refund is a joke! They do not refund the entire 2nd year. You get back the 2nd year's registration less any taxes and surcharges. I paid $110 for 2 years for a small beater. I sold it during the 1st year, turned in my plates and was told that I would receive my refund by mail. When asked how much was due back, I was told $26. This must be a mistake, I thought, and asked the woman why it wasn't $54 which was 1/2 the registration. Taxes and fees aren't returned she said.

Registering another NY vehicle in VT I showed them my NYS paperwork and bill of sale. They did not charge me tax as I already paid tax on the vehicle in NYS. When I sold that vehicle and transferred the registration I paid a small figure -- under $20 -- for the transfer and nothing more as I still had time on the original registration.

The difference between the two states is night and day.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:14 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,119,040 times
Welcome to NY, comrade.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Should have just kept the PA tags like everyone else
I can't, if I renew registration all of my iregistration cards and sticker would be mailed to my old address.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That vehicle will be taxed by NYS for each successive owner who registers it.

BTW -- the 2nd year of registration refund is a joke! They do not refund the entire 2nd year. You get back the 2nd year's registration less any taxes and surcharges. I paid $110 for 2 years for a small beater. I sold it during the 1st year, turned in my plates and was told that I would receive my refund by mail. When asked how much was due back, I was told $26. This must be a mistake, I thought, and asked the woman why it wasn't $54 which was 1/2 the registration. Taxes and fees aren't returned she said.

Registering another NY vehicle in VT I showed them my NYS paperwork and bill of sale. They did not charge me tax as I already paid tax on the vehicle in NYS. When I sold that vehicle and transferred the registration I paid a small figure -- under $20 -- for the transfer and nothing more as I still had time on the original registration.

The difference between the two states is night and day.
I still don't understand why I need to pay tax on a vehicle already owned. When I went from NY to PA, I didn't have to pay PA tax on that vehicle. I just registered it and that was it.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:07 AM

863 posts, read 2,108,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistics View Post
I still don't understand why I need to pay tax on a vehicle already owned. When I went from NY to PA, I didn't have to pay PA tax on that vehicle. I just registered it and that was it.
Yes normal states don't hand you Vaseline as you walk through the door. NY gives tubes of it away because they get you going and coming. This state will make money off your dead body and be happy doing it.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:21 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,671,222 times
How about something stating that you lived in PA at the time of purchase? Or fill out a 'gift' form from your 'cousin' in PA that happens to have the same name as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island