Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:08 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,982,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
SUSE. I just started using it at home.
Nice, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,130,079 times
If they ban bamboo then they better ban ivy too. My neighbor has tons of it in her yard and it's invading my yard, covering my fence and choking my trees.

And while they're at it all trees too close to the property line should be banned so I don't have to clean leaves out of my pool everyday.

This is going to open up a can of worms. Smithtown has no right telling you what you can and cannot plant in your yard.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:56 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,982,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
If they ban bamboo then they better ban ivy too. My neighbor has tons of it in her yard and it's invading my yard, covering my fence and choking my trees.

And while they're at it all trees too close to the property line should be banned so I don't have to clean leaves out of my pool everyday.

This is going to open up a can of worms. Smithtown has no right telling you what you can and cannot plant in your yard.
When the Earth was created, it was created without Bamboo.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 AM

456 posts, read 1,430,074 times
Smithtown is looking at or has passed a common-sense law: you can grow it, but you're responsible for its spread. In other words, if you don't put the proper barriers in that bamboo needs to stay confined (at least 3 feet deep), you'll be cleaning up your neighbor's yard, fixing their pool and patio, etc. This makes more sense than an outright ban. Bamboo is actually good for the environment, it makes a great carbon sink and can grow in poor soil areas that nothing else will. I'd rather look at bamboo than dirt, but you have to be responsible if you're going to plant it as an ornamental. From what I heard, the town will only be enforcing complaints, not going door to door to enforce this. Makes good sense to me.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 AM

127 posts, read 748,603 times
My question is how you deal with existing plantings that may even pre date the current home owner.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 AM

456 posts, read 1,430,074 times
That's going to be a good question, especially when you factor in a possible built-in liability buying a house. Could bite a few people on the rear-end. Then again, if it wasn't a problem before the house was purchased, then it shouldn't be a problem now. If new home buyers are using bamboo as a pro to buy a house, it would be their problem I guess. If not, they can just remove it completely. Yikes, this s#%@ can get complicated.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 AM

19,277 posts, read 17,151,373 times
There are clumping varieties of bamboo that will not spread and take over the town. Sort of like Liriope (Monkey Grass) that spreads all over but their are clumping varieties that look great and won't overtake everything...

Ivy can be killed in the spring when the leaves are new and haven't developed their wax coating. Just spray with round-up and bye bye Ivy.

Better Gardening through Chemicals.....

Old 06-28-2011, 06:42 PM

570 posts, read 1,216,587 times
Question... bamboo has those divider cells every few inches. So how does the Roundup get down to the roots when you spray it in the cut hole? Does it just eat through it?

We've got bamboo from the previous owner. It was a small bunch right by the back door blocking the view of the yard - don't know why she would have planted it there, but... So we moved it off to the side fence, not realizing that it was going to spread. Over the years it pretty much contained itself to the one area, but then we saw sprouts coming out into the lawn 10, 20 feet away from the plant! Hubby would just mow it down and of course it came back somewhere else.

It did go over to the neighbor's side of the fence, but they liked it too as a view-blocker. A couple of years ago we cut our side of the bamboo all down, they kept theirs. Only get a few shoots now which get cut right away. I like the idea of using the Roundup, but I don't want my other plants to get killed off. Does it affect other plantings - like myrtle groundcover or azaleas or grass?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 28,491,085 times
I heard salt works to kill it.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 PM

592 posts, read 921,269 times
Roundup will only kill what it touches and it becomes inactive on contact with soil. It will not harm your other plants if you do not spray them with it. I buy the generic version online. It's called Glyphosate and 41% concentrate should run you $30-$40 a gallon at farm supply stores (enough for over 100 gallons of mix-buy a sprayer at home depot) If you are concerned about other plants, you can take a paint brush and apply the concentrate to freshly cut shoots. I've killed poison ivy that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Question... bamboo has those divider cells every few inches. So how does the Roundup get down to the roots when you spray it in the cut hole? Does it just eat through it?

We've got bamboo from the previous owner. It was a small bunch right by the back door blocking the view of the yard - don't know why she would have planted it there, but... So we moved it off to the side fence, not realizing that it was going to spread. Over the years it pretty much contained itself to the one area, but then we saw sprouts coming out into the lawn 10, 20 feet away from the plant! Hubby would just mow it down and of course it came back somewhere else.

It did go over to the neighbor's side of the fence, but they liked it too as a view-blocker. A couple of years ago we cut our side of the bamboo all down, they kept theirs. Only get a few shoots now which get cut right away. I like the idea of using the Roundup, but I don't want my other plants to get killed off. Does it affect other plantings - like myrtle groundcover or azaleas or grass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island