Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,739,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Did you know that 70 % of guns that are used in crimes are purchased and used in the state of origin. So 30% come from another state than your own.
I was reading an article released 2 months ago in Syracuse which broke down the origins of illegal guns the Syracuse PD recovered. The greatest number came from NYS -- supporting what you've written.

Syracuse police: Imported guns come from states where they're easier to buy | syracuse.com

Quote:
About the study
The Syracuse police’s Crime Intelligence Section traced the origin of 224 guns recovered by police over two years.
Of those, 115 were purchased in New York. Almost as many, 109, were bought in states such as Ohio, Georgia, Virginia, South Carolina and Florida.
While only 30 percent of guns could be traced, police believe the percentage of out-of-state gun purchases would be the same for all 745 guns recovered in 2009 and 2010.
Of the recovered guns, 115 were turned in during a gun amnesty in 2009. It wasn’t clear how many of those guns were traceable or were used in crimes.
All of the other recovered guns, including all 299 guns seized in 2010, were used in crimes.
Source: Syracuse Police Capt. Rich Trudell
Quote:
About a third of guns recovered by Syracuse police can be traced. Most have been defaced, with serial numbers filed off. While 15 percent of the recovered guns were turned in through an amnesty program, most of the guns were recovered by police after they were used in crimes.
Quote:
Syracuse has a higher-than-average percentage of crime guns from other states. Nationwide, the rate is about 30 percent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,477,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
Even if they changed the gun laws everyone isn't going to run out and buy one...
I wouldn't want a hand gun in my house.
I shouldn't need a handgun to protect myself.
You could die in a car accident just as easily as being killed at a convenience store by some idiot.
This is a horrible event
one of many
and nothing more.
I feel bad for them and it shouldn't have happened, but I somehow doubt that adding more guns to the equation would have helped.
1.5 MILLION times a year a firearm is used to help in these situations.

You may not want, think you need, or prefer the opportunity but that doesn't mean that law abiding people such as myself should be denied the opportunity to be armed in case of need. Your MORE likely to die in a car accident then a firearm, but you put your seatbelt on and buy a car with airbags to defend yourself in case you get hit to lessen the chances too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Besides cops how can you get a carry permit?
States like NY: Cops, politically connected, or carry large sums regularly. Hell states like NY have denied a carry permit to a woman who was raped TWICE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I would bet dollars to donuts this gun was originally purchased "legally" in the south...
Doubtful. Stats say that it was purchased in NY, probably stolen.

Further, the "gun show loophole" you mention later needs work. Stop listening to Bloomy and the Brady Bunch. Check the laws. If I want to sell one of my guns I don't need an FFL, just like if you want to sell you car you don't need a business license. However, if I sell guns for a living or an excessive amount then I need an FFL. According to the Bureau of Justice Stats less then 1% of guns used in crime is from a gun show. Thats a hell of a long bet your trying to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
This is a terrible tragedy. I hope the perpetrator is caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

I really don't see where the political discussion of gun laws is relevant. Nothing I've read so far indicates whether the victims had guns, tried to own guns, would own guns, or would use guns to defend themselves.

I am not saying that because I am 90% liberal, but because there is nothing in the story to support any discussion of it. I take a moderate view of gun ownership. I am not a gun nut by any stretch, but I do support the right to defend oneself with a legally owned firearm.

And last I checked, I'm a decent shot.
Because, as stated before, the overwhelming data that comes in, even those taken from the NCVS, shows that privately held firearms are a positive factor in the defense of person and property and the reduction in crime. NYS refuses to see this, and along with other liberal states, disables the average person from being able to stand toe to toe to defend themselves.

We don't know about it in these situations. Maybe they were like myself: didn't want to spend 6 months and around $500 just to get the permit. Plus all the other hoops the .gov has made legal firearms owners jump through.

But you are right, its a political discussion just as laws like this are a political decision. They aren't based in fact and stats, they are based on feelings of a few outspoken people who couldn't debate the issue when pressed.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:32 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,978,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Very close - just ask that wacko who murdered 30+ people at Virginia Tech.
Quote:
Yes I could list the top 10 in order but it wouldn't change anything FYI Va. use to be second but now drop down on the list due to stricter policies.

Did you know that 70 % of guns that are used in crimes are purchased and used in the state of origin. So 30% come from another state than your own.

Speaking of Va..... zero guns got traced back to Va. that were used in crimes in NY. but 358 were traced back to GA. and 379 from N.C.
oh I wasn't trying to say these guns came from VA, it was just a side note. I remember hearing that VA was a big funnel for illegal guns to upper states (like NY).

Old 06-20-2011, 10:42 AM

752 posts, read 1,463,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
1.5 MILLION times a year a firearm is used to help in these situations.

You may not want, think you need, or prefer the opportunity but that doesn't mean that law abiding people such as myself should be denied the opportunity to be armed in case of need. Your MORE likely to die in a car accident then a firearm, but you put your seatbelt on and buy a car with airbags to defend yourself in case you get hit to lessen the chances too.

States like NY: Cops, politically connected, or carry large sums regularly. Hell states like NY have denied a carry permit to a woman who was raped TWICE.

Doubtful. Stats say that it was purchased in NY, probably stolen.

Further, the "gun show loophole" you mention later needs work. Stop listening to Bloomy and the Brady Bunch. Check the laws. If I want to sell one of my guns I don't need an FFL, just like if you want to sell you car you don't need a business license. However, if I sell guns for a living or an excessive amount then I need an FFL. According to the Bureau of Justice Stats less then 1% of guns used in crime is from a gun show. Thats a hell of a long bet your trying to make.

Because, as stated before, the overwhelming data that comes in, even those taken from the NCVS, shows that privately held firearms are a positive factor in the defense of person and property and the reduction in crime. NYS refuses to see this, and along with other liberal states, disables the average person from being able to stand toe to toe to defend themselves.

We don't know about it in these situations. Maybe they were like myself: didn't want to spend 6 months and around $500 just to get the permit. Plus all the other hoops the .gov has made legal firearms owners jump through.

But you are right, its a political discussion just as laws like this are a political decision. They aren't based in fact and stats, they are based on feelings of a few outspoken people who couldn't debate the issue when pressed.
We will have to just agree to disagree... I understand needing a gun 300 year ago to protect yourself when there were wild animals and no laws, but your on Long Island, dont need a gun to protect yourself from a wild kitten or stray dog...
maybe rabid squirrel.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 AM

57,359 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Quote:
Yes I could list the top 10 in order but it wouldn't change anything FYI Va. use to be second but now drop down on the list due to stricter policies.

Speaking of Va..... zero guns got traced back to Va. that were used in crimes in NY. but 358 were traced back to GA. and 379 from N.C.

I have not seen the high percentages you indicate for NY State, ATF study below but with discalimers and is consistent with the large rate of imports from GA.. I don't know that there is any completely accurate study because of the time involved, missing serial #'s, but a majority of guns are coming into NY from out of state and an extremey large amount find their way to NY City. Interesting that most long guns came from within NY State but most handguns were from outside.

From the ATF Website crime guns for 2008:

9,558 firearms were submitted to ATF NY to be traced - 6,764 handguns and 2,659 long guns
New York City
  • Total 313 weapons, 88% handguns and 12% long guns.
  • 96% handguns purchased outside NYS and 71% long guns from within NYS.
Long Island
  • Total 51 weapons, 59% handguns and 41% long guns.
  • 97% handguns purchased outside NYS and100% long guns within NYS.
http://searchjustice.usdoj.gov/searc...&oe=ISO-8859-1

ATF Online - New York Field Division - New York State Firearms Trace Data

Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,978,156 times
Quote:
We will have to just agree to disagree... I understand needing a gun 300 year ago to protect yourself when there were wild animals and no laws, but your on Long Island, dont need a gun to protect yourself from a wild kitten or stray dog...
maybe rabid squirrel.
Unfortunately this exact thinking has lead us to have some of the strictest gun laws in the country. If you don't want a gun, great, but don't tell others what they should and should not have.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 AM

57,359 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
If it's making me think twice about buying in the vicinity, what impact does this have on the RE market?
You're concern is the real estate market?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,276,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
All pharmacies should be equipped with a scatter gun under the counter with both barrels poking out on a swivel mount loaded with #5 turkey load. Believe me - the perps won't even try it. What's that? you want some oxycodone - okay, one order of oxycodone with an ounce of zinc (we believe in being enviornmentally friendly) to go!!
You need a better example, my friend. Oxy tends to make people feel invincible. Add that to an addict's usual drive to obtain what he or she needs and willingness to risk life and limb to get it, that's not going to stop the assaults.

Also, pharmacists have enough to deal with. They aren't in the security business. However, anyone who is in the security business should be seeing the opportunity for clients these days.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:08 AM

43 posts, read 80,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I'm disappointed to see something like this happen so close to where are are looking to buy a home - Patchogue Village.

If it's making me think twice about buying in the vicinity, what impact does this have on the RE market?
If this happened once a week I can understand your concern. This is big news because this never happens. Could of happened in Anywhere, Earth...my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims, their families and to my neighbors in Medford.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:09 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,477,238 times
Quote:
maybe rabid squirrel.
No just when some druggy decides to shoot up a pharmacy, or 20 MS-13 members are on your lawn and saying they are going to go rape your wife, or your a young lady who doesn't want to end up on a beach.

The only "wild animals" we're talking about here run on two legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island